cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas station pet peeves

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
I was at the car wash/gas station today and coming out of the car wash I was going to fuel up my truck. As I'm rolling out of the car wash I am aiming for the only pump that has diesel, as I'm heading that direction some young kid pulls up to the pump to get gas. Now I understand he can use any of pumps that he chooses to use, however if there are six other open pumps available why can't that person who has gas powered vehicle choose those and leave the diesel pumps open for those who need it? Of course as I am parked behind him with my motor running he's just looking at me like " why are you behind me with all these open pumps?"

That is why I prefer gas stations that have dedicated diesel pumps versus the combination units.

Rant over

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel
131 REPLIES 131

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Mst RVers get along and enjoy meeting new to them RVers. I don't think there has been a time we didn't make a new friend or two. Unfortunately we aren't RVign as much as we want and have lost association these last four years.
We made more than one long term family friends though.
If I step on anyone's toes tell me, I'll make it right.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
fulltimedaniel wrote:
DiskDoctr wrote:
fulltimedaniel wrote:
I am afraid to tell you this but the entire "RV Community", look what happy campers we are, arent we all wonderful? notion is a figment of marketing.

Although you may be more demographically correct, we consider that those who camp (for whatever reason) all have to deal with "stuff" the average non-camper will never understand.

Water systems, electrical systems, even towing systems that are very foreign to most. Neighbors, pets, traffic, breakdowns, very limited refrigeration.

Whether it is to survive or for adventure, we all want the same thing- a smooth and stress free trail.

And whether it is short term vacation or a long term lifestyle, we all have to co-habitate parks, CGs, or parking lots- at least for a while.

I think that makes us a "community," a group with shared interests or goals, inhabiting the same spaces ๐Ÿ˜‰

Our expectation is to help each other with information, examples, and support. It's not a competition to see who is the "Grand Camper Champion" LOL.

If a guy needs to get to a diesel pump, let him. Once you've pumped, move so others can use it. If a long vehicle needs a wide turning radius, yield the outside pump. Give extra room to merge. Don't slow them on a hill and get out of the way downhill to avoid burning brakes.

Whether it's gas, diesel, popup or motorhome, it really isn't that hard to show some courtesy. Manners when discussing such things make the forum much more enjoyable, too ๐Ÿ˜‰

I agree with your sentiments completely. And I agree with your definition of Community...and I do run in to many many good folks out here. But "we" if we can be grouped together at all given our incredible heterogeneity just are not what is so often pictured in articles, advertising and promotional materials.

I was of course alluding to the marketing myth that is perpetrated upon all of us to think of ourselves as one group of like minded participants in some wonderful escapade while endowed with saintly intent. It is just fallacy. Of course I do think it does help to sell a lot of needless stuff.

And yes I agree also that there could be a great deal more civility not only on this forum but out here in the Real RV world. But lets not conflate civility, which can be present even when folks are disagreeing mightily over an issue, with agreement. Or for that matter confuse it with the just plain boring, mundane and intellectually vacant that so often passes for discussion not only here on this site but in many other venues as well.

That is why I so appreciated your thoughtful response.

You guys were English majors in college wernt ya. ๐Ÿ˜›

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
fulltimedaniel wrote:
I am afraid to tell you this but the entire "RV Community", look what happy campers we are, arent we all wonderful? notion is a figment of marketing.

Although you may be more demographically correct, we consider that those who camp (for whatever reason) all have to deal with "stuff" the average non-camper will never understand.

Water systems, electrical systems, even towing systems that are very foreign to most. Neighbors, pets, traffic, breakdowns, very limited refrigeration.

Whether it is to survive or for adventure, we all want the same thing- a smooth and stress free trail.

And whether it is short term vacation or a long term lifestyle, we all have to co-habitate parks, CGs, or parking lots- at least for a while.

I think that makes us a "community," a group with shared interests or goals, inhabiting the same spaces ๐Ÿ˜‰

Our expectation is to help each other with information, examples, and support. It's not a competition to see who is the "Grand Camper Champion" LOL.

If a guy needs to get to a diesel pump, let him. Once you've pumped, move so others can use it. If a long vehicle needs a wide turning radius, yield the outside pump. Give extra room to merge. Don't slow them on a hill and get out of the way downhill to avoid burning brakes.

Whether it's gas, diesel, popup or motorhome, it really isn't that hard to show some courtesy. Manners when discussing such things make the forum much more enjoyable, too ๐Ÿ˜‰

I agree with your sentiments completely. And I agree with your definition of Community...and I do run in to many many good folks out here. But "we" if we can be grouped together at all given our incredible heterogeneity just are not what is so often pictured in articles, advertising and promotional materials.

I was of course alluding to the marketing myth that is perpetrated upon all of us to think of ourselves as one group of like minded participants in some wonderful escapade while endowed with saintly intent. It is just fallacy. Of course I do think it does help to sell a lot of needless stuff.

And yes I agree also that there could be a great deal more civility not only on this forum but out here in the Real RV world. But lets not conflate civility, which can be present even when folks are disagreeing mightily over an issue, with agreement. Or for that matter confuse it with the just plain boring, mundane and intellectually vacant that so often passes for discussion not only here on this site but in many other venues as well.

That is why I so appreciated your thoughtful response.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Well said DiskDoctr there are a lot of us on this forum that make comments and flex their internet muscles in ways they never would in a camp ground.
Most CG's are peaceful place where there is some community and for the most part campers of all lifestyles and walks of life coexist in peace.
No it's not utopia, but it's not a figment of marketing either .
I have met way more friendly decent people over the years than undesirables.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
fulltimedaniel wrote:

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
Is it any wonder the non-camping/RV public isn't considerate to campers, when many of the comments on this thread are not very considerate to other campers?

Remember, it is our mutual love of camping and RV-ing that binds us together as a community...let's all remember to act like one ๐Ÿ˜‰

We are no different than any other sector of the population taken at random. Buying an RV, despite the Good Sam Logo, does not confer a Halo on one. As a sub group we "seem" to share some things in common but is that really true?

Actually what is often called the "RV Community" is made up of the unemployed and underemployed and the retired poor, struggling and living in shabby little trailers or broken down MH's in places like Quartzsite and others. It's made up of People like me who Full Time and work occasionally to keep busy and engaged. It's made up of folks who just Camp for a weekend and people who are snowbirds who have really nothing more than a cheap second home in a sunny warm place and are no more "RVers than the poor folks mentioned above. It's made up of younger people who like a nomadic lifestyle and work on the road or in a series of temporary jobs.It is made up of those who have huge Class A's that go from one "resort" to another and generally stick close together in their gated parks. It is all kinds of people living differently for different reasons, good people, bad people, happy people and some very sad and angry people.

The whole "RV Community" portrayed as this group of like-minded happy campers is a fiction.

That is why you see so many posts here like this OP and so many that garner angry and hostile responses over mundane comments or issues.

We are more a loose collection of misfits than a community.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Is it any wonder the non-camping/RV public isn't considerate to campers, when many of the comments on this thread are not very considerate to other campers?

Remember, it is our mutual love of camping and RV-ing that binds us together as a community...let's all remember to act like one ๐Ÿ˜‰

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
skipro3 wrote:
Wow!

I pull up, scout to see which island I can access and get in line just like everyone else does. Then I wait my turn. If someone intentionally cuts me off, I suppose I might say something to them, but probably not. I can't see where it's worth the hassle. Some people are just too nutty to confront and to discover who after the fact is just too late.

Plus these days a lot of people are packin. You might think you are being nice about it but, the other guy might think you are threatening him and then he shoots you.

Caveman, Ordinary Citizens who carry never touch the gun, in the holster, in public except in, the hope to ever have, emergency.
In Manisnowda they can't carry?

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
fulltimedaniel wrote:
down home wrote:
You'll haven't said nothing about Gas Station quizine quiznnee... well food.
Notice all the sweet buns is dried out and jsut a little bit of hard icing and taste like a frigidare?
Then those hot dogs still have hair on them or taste like it. ...and the wall of slightly cool drinks?

Cuisine?

And hair on the Wieners?

Oh dear!

Or what about those tasty microwave sandwiches that are months old and have enough preservatives in them to still be eatable after the nuclear attack. (By the roaches anyway)

I have to admit I've eaten a bunch of them in my younger days. Still have to once and awhile when I have no other choice.

And yes, my vehicle is still setting at the pump while I take 1:30 seconds to heat up a Chuckwagon.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
skipro3 wrote:
Wow!

I pull up, scout to see which island I can access and get in line just like everyone else does. Then I wait my turn. If someone intentionally cuts me off, I suppose I might say something to them, but probably not. I can't see where it's worth the hassle. Some people are just too nutty to confront and to discover who after the fact is just too late.

Plus these days a lot of people are packin. You might think you are being nice about it but, the other guy might think you are threatening him and then he shoots you.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:

A crowding world is only going to get worse if we don't raise our children properly.
Fewer children would also be helpful;)

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Do all you people who avoid the pumps with the diesel also avoid the handicapped stall in public bathrooms?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Elwood13
Explorer
Explorer
Aridon wrote:
I don't consider them jerks or stupid.

People understand what they have experience with. They aren't sitting there in their car thinking of ways to screw over diesel owners by taking the only pump. They probably aren't even aware of it, nor are they aware of you.

When all you did was drive a car, you didn't survey the stations like you do when you've towed and had to shoe horn something 65ft long into a spot made for 2 cars. So your outlook on things is a little different.

Just like driving a motorcycle. You are much more aware of intersections and lane changes after having experience vs not. Just the way things are.

No reason to call people stupid just because you have a little more experience with something most people will never experience or need. We are only aware because of our needs. That doesn't make us any smarter nor them any dumber just because they didn't notice your need.

This brings to mind my favourite thought "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's razer
Exchange "ignorance" with "stupidity" as needed. Most people are not trying to be jackasses to those around them.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
My experience has made it so nothing surprises me over what happens when your around other people.

I avoid interstates... take the most back roads no one else takes. Fill up in small farming towns.

Also have fuel card for private fuel card lock stations.

I also live out of the main stream avoiding HOA situations and neighbors.

A crowding world is only going to get worse if we don't raise our children properly.