cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Jerky Recommendations

eddd
Explorer
Explorer
I hadn't had jerky in years, remembering it as mostly thick and tough. I recently received a gift of home-made beef jerky that was fantastic. This gift has me looking for some premium quality jerky.

It doesn't have to be beef. I'm open to try other types. I'm looking for tender, thin, and mild. It would need to be available online since stores in my area are unlikely to carry anything other than the regular convenience store brands.

Thanks.
2002 KZ Sportsman Toyhauler
7 REPLIES 7

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
Around here many of the local meat lockers have really good jerky.

I did a quick check around Hurricane UT and in St George, there is Dixie Meats, which some say has good jerky. Also, found Final Cut meats, I would try checking them out before ordering online, just my personal opinion.

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

eddd
Explorer
Explorer
CC Crabman wrote:
I love this jerky. http://www.praseks.com/

I lived in the Rio Grande Valley for 30 years and never missed a chance to stop at Prasek's when traveling to or from Houston. The sausage stuffed pork chops when returning to Los Fresnos and Pigs in a Blanket when heading north.

Never bought their jerky, but they might be a good place to start.

Thanks for the reminder.
2002 KZ Sportsman Toyhauler

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
We have a real old fashioned butcher shop near us that has what they call "world famous" and it might be as I'm asked to send it to friends round the world all the time. So if your ever in Western Wa.......

And where might that be? Is it in Orting?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We have a real old fashioned butcher shop near us that has what they call "world famous" and it might be as I'm asked to send it to friends round the world all the time. So if your ever in Western Wa.......

CC_Crabman
Explorer
Explorer
I love this jerky. http://www.praseks.com/

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got this recipe from a buddy at work. Makes a pretty nice jerky in my book.
2lbs lean beef sliced thin across the grain (I use clean Top Sirloin or clean Top Round) freeze for 1-2 hr to make easy to slice 1/4" thick. Put in a bag with all ingredients and massage to coat all pieces evenly Put in fridge for 5-8 hours depending on how flavorful you want it. Mine was 5 hrsTake out pat dry with paper towels and layer on dehydrator racks Dehydrate for around up to 12 hours depending on the proximity of the meat to the heating element. I have a round Jerky Maker my daughter bought me for Christmas one year and it has five racks and runs a real low temp( less than 170 for sure). The instructions in the jerky maker says to rotate the racks every 8hrs or so to keep the drying even. Since I always fill the racks to the limit it alwasy takes 12hrs. I suppose if you did one top round or one piece of chateau brion(top Sirloin) you would likely complete the drying over night
1. 2/3 cup Worcestershire
2. 2/3 soy sauce
3. 1 tbs honey
4. 1/2 tbs garlic sal
5. 1/2 tbs garlic sal
6. 1/2 tbs black pepper
7. 1 tbs onion powder
8. 1 tbs garlic powder
9. 1/2 tbs cumin
10. 1/2 tbs chili flake
11. 1/2 tbs cayenne
I have recently messed around with going up to 1 cup of soy and 2/3 cup of Worcestershire. I think it's a little better..............but you decide.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Try here ;
http://www.jerky.com/
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.