cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't let this happen to you!

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Took off for a wonderful trip up the California Coast. We braved the rainy weather and flooding to arrive at our campsite only to find the inside of our trailer as flooded as the countryside we just crossed! The new kitchen faucet I installed actually turns on by pulling the lever down....and I have not real good at making sure the water pump is off when traveling(however, that won't be the case now!). What happened was a combination of three things:
1. I installed a new single lever faucet that when I hit a number of bumps(on detours from the flooding)the handle jiggled down(on).
2. The water pump was left on while traveling.......this won't happen again!
3. Because I had just installed the sink and faucet I had the stoppers in the sink/s to check for leaks. At least a third of that water would have gone to the gray water tank had the stopper not been inserted.................

When we got to the campsite we found all 66 gallons of fresh water inside the trailer! Took every towel and roll of paper towels in the trailer to get it sopped up. Had to find a laundry to wash and try the towels we used. And had to fill up the fresh water! That was Thursday night. We salvaged the week end at the beach and had a great time. It will take some time to let the trailer dry properly and refill it with provisions.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!
26 REPLIES 26

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I am with the group that shuts of everything when we travel or are not at home except the propane needed by the frig. The pump, heater, lights etc.

That does not mean we do not forget from time to time. 🙂

Sorry to hear about your mess.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
JohnG4706 wrote:
Our brick and stick homes are built in the elements, exposed to rain and snow, etc. They generally use an exterior grade of plywood or chipboard. I imagine cost might be a consideration, but with all of the stories that result in soft or rotted floors, why doesn't the rv mfgrs use exterior grade flooring and maybe treated lumber for the walls and roof trusses?
The other is cheaper, they would build them out of cardboard if they could.

JohnG4706
Explorer
Explorer
Our brick and stick homes are built in the elements, exposed to rain and snow, etc. They generally use an exterior grade of plywood or chipboard. I imagine cost might be a consideration, but with all of the stories that result in soft or rotted floors, why doesn't the rv mfgrs use exterior grade flooring and maybe treated lumber for the walls and roof trusses?

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutchman, those are very nice faucets indeed, and thank you for providing pics to show how they are positioned.

I would never have thought to put them that way..

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think this was a matter of a perfect storm.

First, the faucet lever pushes down to open - so gravity can turn it on.

Second, the water pump was on.

Third, the sink drain was stoppered.

If any of the three had been different, the flooding wouldn't have occurred.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in a potentially bad situation since I have the older air-pressure system,i.e. the supply tank is pressurised so that even if I turn off the compressor, there is still pressure in the tank and lines. Fortunately, even a valve left on, the water will all drain to a tank and lastly, to the shower/tub.
If a supply line or fitting breaks, there will be a mess.

The solution for me is to turn off the little compressor and bleed the air pressure off the tank. That can be done at the shrader valve on the fill cap. I will probably be rolling the dice on that since it will be a chore either forgotten or deemed unnecessary for short absences. One factor that mitigates removing the pressure is that I installed all new supply lines and they have been tested to 80 psi. I trust my plumbing.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
Since we never dry camp the only time our pump is on is when I winterize. One thing to watch for is soft places in the floor. May take a season or two to show up. I hope this never happens to you but it's something to be aware of. Do like the faucet though but since I'm cheap I don't make changes to factory installed unless it can not be repaired.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
If that water got into insulation under the floor you need to open the belly and dry it out. The water will sit in the insulation against the underneath of the floor and rot the wood.

I have thought of installing a timer into the water pump circuit so it shuts off automatically after an hour. It would be a nuisance at times but would insure not leaving the pump energized.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
I don't know of any lever type faucet that turn ON buy pushing the lever DOWN??

All the ones I've put in my house all need to be pushed UP to turn ON...

Here ya go Mitch. The first photo is from my Kitchen, the second is from my Laundry Room in my hosue.

chiefward
Explorer
Explorer
"water pump off" is one of the items on my departure checklist.
2011 Fun Finder by Cruiser RV, model X210WBS
2017 Ram, 1500, Tradesman,
10,000 Equal-I-zer hitch

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We learned a similar lesson a few years ago. We had a pipe fitting fail while away for dinner and it flooded the storage bay of the trailer we had then.

Two things we do all the time now; turn the water pump off while traveling or away from the trailer and also turn the fresh water off at the spigot when away.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My last TT, '14 Nash 23D had the same problem from the factory. Stuff would fall out of the chintzy bathroom cabinet and turn on the bathroom sink faucets. Luckily I always most never forget to turn off the pump. But it can happen. Went to Home Depot and replaced the cabinet. But that was just one of a myriad of problems. Never so happy to see a TT go down the road!!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about that. That's very unfortunate. Hope all is well with the trailer and you got it dried out real good. I like the others always double check the water pump switch before leavjng the cg, but i don't run with water in the tanks anyway. Thanks for sharing and for the reminder for all of us
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Run a wire from water pump to a little led light that is visible in your tow vehicle.

Saves the talk of "did we shut off water pump"
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"