cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

valve stem /tpms

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to go on an extended road trip. Was looking at the tires and noticed that with the cheep short rubber valve stems the tire place installed that I can neither install a tire pressure monitor system or even get my air chuck on the rear duallies. The shop that does most of my rv repair work said he could pull the tires and replace the stems if I bring him what I want put on there. Problem is, what do I want? Does anyone have a setup that works well, both valve stems and monitor system? I'm looking for something that is easy to air up inside dually as well as solid installation that won't leave me with a flat tire due to system leaks.

Seems that the nuts that hold the hub caps onto the wheel only go on about 1 or 2 threads. during normal work hours, nuts need to be fully engaged with 1 to 2 thread protruding, not just partially retained. is this normal?
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions
13 REPLIES 13

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Update to valve stem issue. ordered a set from tireman people. Sounded like an old guy running a business out of his home, but friendly and knowledgeable. Set cost me $135 and had it within the week. Took the set down to les schwab, They had a bit of an attitude towards putting them in, probably because I didn't buy them there, but put them in anyways. Their biggest complaint was the area on my rims wasn't very side making torquing the stems down properly difficult. they did go on and leak checked ok. Added tpms system, and drove it home. 1 sensor wasn't reporting, haven't looked to see what the problem is yet, don't like working in the rain. I got the Tire-Safeguard
RV 6-Tire Flow-Through Sensor Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

sensors are a bit big, but both screw on and have a set screw to prevent them from moving. hopefully a few thousand miles won't mess with them.

IMG_6410 by raindancephoto, on Flickr

IMG_6409 by raindancephoto, on Flickr

IMG_6408 by raindancephoto, on Flickr
banks intake/exhaust

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
loggenrock wrote:
AVOID anything that ties both duals together! Get a flat in one, and they both "equalize" - to zero! I went with Borg valve stems - not simple extenders - did it once, no regrets. TPMS sensors work fine on them, easy to check/fill as needed. Front tires just got brass valve stems at the tire shop. Same with the spare. ST

Untrue. Good equalizers have a protection against that. Per Cat's Eye Tire Pressure Maintenance System: An internal check valve provides added safety by preventing both tires from going flat in the event of a leak, a blow out or when one of the pressure hoses is cut or broken.

We have these on our big rigs at work (and trust me, they wouldn't use them for trailers carrying bulldozers, etc., if they let both tires go flat like that). They are also very easy to see at a glance if the pressure is off. I am having them put on my duallies and am putting simple TPM valve stem cap sensors on the fronts.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DaCrema
Explorer
Explorer
My TPMS cautioned against using valve stem extenders and said not to use rubber valve stems. The preferred valve stems are the long ones that are like the suggested Tire Man or Borg valve stems. CampingWorld also sells some. These are NOT extenders - they are very long valve stems that bolt to the wheel. Be sure to get the correct ones for your year. The wrong ones will rub on the hubcaps (ask me how I know).
John
07 LD MB

deepdoc1
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for Borg. http://yourtireshopsupply.com/category/9_860/duallyvalve-parts-accessories

They will work with you to ensure you have exactly what you need. Also, I had the tire shop install the inward facing stem so it faces out. Somewhat easier to get to, imho.
Jim, Val & Georgie

• 2006 Bigfoot 40MH32ST
  • 2008 Buick Enclave toad

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
1971duster340 wrote:
Look into the Crossfire air equalizing system. It has the extenders, a gauge for quick pressure check, easy to get to stem and keeps equal pressure in dualies. Get a quote from Fleetpride. TMS works too.

I have a set of these and would like to use them but the 180 degree turn for the outside dually tire will not work on my rims, it needs to be about a 135 degree turn than it would work.

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
ordered a set of tireman valve stems, and tire-safeguard monitor system. will post pics when they get installed. $135 for valve stems and $279 for tpms. not cheep but will make me feel better on a several week road trip later this spring.
also ordered one of those OBDII realtime engine monitors to act as a trip computer since mine didn't come with one. That's a lot of stuff on the dash board, tpms,engine monitor, gps, dashcam. hopefully it won't be too distracting.
banks intake/exhaust

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
AVOID anything that ties both duals together! Get a flat in one, and they both "equalize" - to zero! I went with Borg valve stems - not simple extenders - did it once, no regrets. TPMS sensors work fine on them, easy to check/fill as needed. Front tires just got brass valve stems at the tire shop. Same with the spare. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Tireman for reasons stated
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Iamichabod has it right, don't waste your time with anything else, these valves are the real deal, they fit and make checking tire pressure or installing the monitors a snap. I ordered mine and they came in about 2-3 days, Discount tire did the switch and balanced all 6 tires at the same time for me, cost $100.00 with my tip to the guys. You can use any tire gauge once these are on as the stems are right there, no extra reaching for anything.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can also get extended tire gauges and fillers and not mess with extenders. I always keep a small pump with me and the long tools. They are easy enough to use if you don't mind getting "down there" to do it. Typically we check 1 before we go to a final destination, and I'll check 1 before leaving a final destination for home.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
These are the real deal...

http://www.yourtireshopsupply.com/category/796/dually-valve-kits
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
Look into the Crossfire air equalizing system. It has the extenders, a gauge for quick pressure check, easy to get to stem and keeps equal pressure in dualies. Get a quote from Fleetpride. TMS works too.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is needed is a extended valve stem that will let you quickly check your tire pressure. Extenders have a very bad habit of leaking.

The best on the market,that are the original,are Tire Man.

Chuck is the original designer of these an he has been around for years. If you have any questions just give him a call, he is always happy to help.

The kit looks like This it is for all 6 wheels,they also come with flow-thru valve caps so you don't even need to take then off to check the pressure.

Here is a list of all the products he sells.

They are compatible with all Tire monitor systems.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C