cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
17 REPLIES 17

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I must have the right amount of tongue weight. I used my TT a week ago and towed if for 30 miles without remembering to lock the hitch to the ball. Got where I was going no problem. Wouldn't want to do it again.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Make it and someone will buy it. Wasn't that basically Barnums theory? i could tear that thing up in 3 trips.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I would love to have the Sherline. Just too cheap to buy one, so I took a piece of 4x4, added 2 dowels exactly 4' apart, an extra ball 1' from one end, and a handle for toting. Takes about 10 minutes total.
I check tongue weight 3 or 4 times a year.
Also go to the CAT scale at least twice a year.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I use my tongue weight scale every time I'm on a level hard surface pad. Just to make sure things haven't changed. $100 well spent to me. Less than a good dinner out and takes about 2 minutes. ๐Ÿ™‚
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Jebby14 wrote:
you guys too good for some lumber and a bathroom scale? not like the physics is hard.

My bathroom scale only goes to 250! LOL :B

๐Ÿ˜‰

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Jebby14 wrote:
you guys too good for some lumber and a bathroom scale? not like the physics is hard.

Put pivot at one end of 4' board. Place trailer tongue at 1' from pivot. Place scale at 4' from pivot. Multiply scale reading by 4. 250 lb scale can now weigh 1000 b
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Jebby14 wrote:

hence the lumber and the physics. make a measured lever and away you go.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:

BobsYourUncle wrote:

Easy to do with a tongue weight beam ... but a Sherline is far easier. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Jebby14 wrote:

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt that thing works with many weight distribution heads.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Here is the real truth of the matter. Tongue scales are really nice for the initial set up of a trailer. But once set up, how often are they needed. You spend over a hundred dollars for a one time use and then, basically, never used again.

Not quite, I've used my Sherline many times, taking quite a few attempts to get the initial setup correct, then subsequently anytime I changed trailers, weight distribution systems, or tow vehicles. Ideally I'd also check gross tongue weight if I were to significantly change how I load the trailer - doesn't happen often but I have done it when moving the spare tire from the bumper and other heavy items from the rear of the trailer to the front pass through cargo compartment in order to improve my gross tongue weight to gross trailer weight ratio. If you never weigh your trailer and measure it's average gross tongue weight (and many if not most don't) then the "real truth of the matter" is you have no idea what you're really dealing with. ROI is in the eye of the beholder and for me my Sherline tongue weight scale has proven to be invaluable. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
I have a Sherline TW scale (that sits under the trailers coupler ball mount) and used it when initially setting up my rig. Now that have a good idea of my various TW's when i pack things different ways, i really do not need to use a scale every time i hitch up.

Here is the real truth of the matter. Tongue scales are really nice for the initial set up of a trailer. But once set up, how often are they needed. You spend over a hundred dollars for a one time use and then, basically, never used again. It might be OK if you have a fleet of trucks and various sizes of trailers, moving equipment and loads. You may need to check the weights every time you hitch up, for insurance purposes, or whatever. But for the average "Joe Civilian", it might be less expensive and make more sense to rent one, or borrower one from someone who already has a tongue scale.

Still, the idea is novel for the ball mounted scale. I would think it would be attached permanently to a shaft, and then just insert the shaft into the receiver hitch rather than attempting to remove the ball and attaching this one on your primary shank.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Sherline TW scale (that sits under the trailers coupler ball mount) and used it when initially setting up my rig. Now that have a good idea of my various TW's when i pack things different ways, i really do not need to use a scale every time i hitch up.