cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suburban SRSA3LBBE oven goes out

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
The pilot lights easily. The main burner lights when I set the temperature and all still seems well. However, when the oven gets to temperature everything goes out. The pilot re lights as easily as it did the first time.

Gas pressure is fine.

Do I need to replace the thermocouple? How difficult is that?
Larry
14 REPLIES 14

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
ljr wrote:
Just to close the loop....

I ended up calling a repair service. He replaced the manifold and the gas line to the pilot and all is well.

Along the way I learned that there are 3 different manifolds installed on this model. Which one you have determines which pilot you need. In the end that didn't matter to me since the pilot wasn't my problem.

FYI for my fellow technically impared RVers: The manifold is the doohickey behind the oven temperature control knob.

Sorry, but your problem will come back. Replacing a Manifold and the tube had NO bearing on your problem. ALL those 2 items do is allow gas to flow, nothing else. Your problem IS the pilot assbly. Doug

You obviously know more about this than I but its definitely working now. I tried a couple things that consistently failed before. The part number you suggested didn't fit.
Larry

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
ljr wrote:

I ended up calling a repair service. He replaced the manifold and the gas line to the pilot and all is well.

Along the way I learned that there are 3 different manifolds installed on this model. Which one you have determines which pilot you need. In the end that didn't matter to me since the pilot wasn't my problem.

FYI for my fellow technically impared RVers: The manifold is the doohickey behind the oven temperature control knob.

Sorry, but your problem will come back. Replacing a Manifold and the tube had NO bearing on your problem. ALL those 2 items do is allow gas to flow, nothing else. Your problem IS the pilot assbly. Doug

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III

Larry

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
ljr wrote:
I've been trying to figure out the numbers of the parts I'd need to order but perhaps I don't need them. I did some meticulous cleaning and I think(?) I might have fixed it.

Sidenote: The perfect tool for cleaning my pilot burner is a .22 cal brass bore brush.

Suburban P/N is 161209 for the updated Pilot assbly. Doug

Thanks. I the cleaning hasn't fixed it I'll order one.
Larry

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
ljr wrote:
I've been trying to figure out the numbers of the parts I'd need to order but perhaps I don't need them. I did some meticulous cleaning and I think(?) I might have fixed it.

Sidenote: The perfect tool for cleaning my pilot burner is a .22 cal brass bore brush.

Suburban P/N is 161209 for the updated Pilot assbly. Doug

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III

Larry

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
ljr wrote:
scrubjaysnest wrote:
Clean around the pilot and burner area first.

I just did that. First with sand paper then oven cleaner. The directions said to wait 2 hours.

While sticking my head in the oven with the shelf out and cover off I discovered two separate thermocouples, one just above the pilot and one at the top of the oven.

That leaves me confused enough that, if cleaning doesn't help, it's time to call a pro. I'm near a mobile service company I've used before.

The one on "top" the oven is the TEMP sensor for the tstat. There is only 1 real Thermocoupler. The other is part of the Safety valve for the main burner which would not be a cause of your problem. When BOTH thew Pilot and the Main burner go off together, it is usually the Main Tstat control. But, there were a few models and I cannot remember if they were Suburban models that had defective Pilot assbly's. That caused this type problem. Doug

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
scrubjaysnest wrote:

I just did that. First with sand paper then oven cleaner. The directions said to wait 2 hours.

While sticking my head in the oven with the shelf out and cover off I discovered two separate thermocouples, one just above the pilot and one at the top of the oven.

That leaves me confused enough that, if cleaning doesn't help, it's time to call a pro. I'm near a mobile service company I've used before.
Larry

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
What year model RV? This type problem can be either the Tstat assbly or the pilot assbly. Usually it is the Tstat assbly, which controls BOTH the Pilot and the Burner operation. Doug

2011 NuWa Discover America 30FK
Larry

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
What year model RV? This type problem can be either the Tstat assbly or the pilot assbly. Usually it is the Tstat assbly, which controls BOTH the Pilot and the Burner operation. Doug

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it sure seems like yours does have a thermocouple for some purpose in that case.

I might try watching it while manipulating the control knob to see if I could catch it in the act of misbehaving; maybe that would give some clue as to what's going on. I kind of doubt it's the thermocouple, assuming it's being used as a safety for the pilot, since I would expect it to be heated more when the main burner is burning rather than less. I would tend to expect trouble with it to mainfest itself more in the pilot not being able to be lit or not staying lit when sitting and the main burner isn't yet on. I'm by no means an appliance expert, however.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
DrewE wrote:
Does it even have a thermocouple for the pilot? Not all ovens do. One common design has a teeny pilot that grows when the thermostatic valve calls for heat, and heats up a bulb for a safety valve that allows the gas to flow to the main burner. When the temperature is reached, the thermostatic valve shuts off the gas to the burner and the extra gas for the pilot and it dwindles back down to a tiny pilot (and the safety valve closes again once its bulb cools off).

I would guess that the pilot burner needs cleaning or adjusting. It sounds like it's getting blown out in the process of the main burner shutting down. Perhaps there's supposed to be a baffle or something that's out of place or has crud in the way or or something.

The parts list includes a thermocouple. That's where I got the idea it might be the problem.
Larry

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Does it even have a thermocouple for the pilot? Not all ovens do. One common design has a teeny pilot that grows when the thermostatic valve calls for heat, and heats up a bulb for a safety valve that allows the gas to flow to the main burner. When the temperature is reached, the thermostatic valve shuts off the gas to the burner and the extra gas for the pilot and it dwindles back down to a tiny pilot (and the safety valve closes again once its bulb cools off).

I would guess that the pilot burner needs cleaning or adjusting. It sounds like it's getting blown out in the process of the main burner shutting down. Perhaps there's supposed to be a baffle or something that's out of place or has crud in the way or or something.