cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maxxis M8008 or Carlisle Trail HD

Brisk
Explorer II
Explorer II
I need new tires on my 5th wheel toy hauler. 235/80R16 E rated. It has Maxxis M8008s on it now from 2013 and they are starting to develop cracks on the sidewalls. We are going to be putting quite a few miles on it this year so new rubber is in order.

The Maxxis have been great. No issues at all whatsoever. All the local shops as well as Americas (Discount) Tire have the Carlisle Trail HD (new model, not the RH) in stock for about $35/tire less. My buddy put them on his toy hauler last year and really likes them.

So do I spend more $$ and special order the Maxxis? Or do I get the Carlisles?
Brent('85) & Lindsay('86) DDs('08 &'11)

'14 RAM Laramie 3500SRW CCLB Cummins/4x4/68RFE
-B&W Turnover Ball/Anderson Ultimate Aluminum

Toyhauler-'06 Forest River Sierra Sport F32

2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX Wakeboat
15 REPLIES 15

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
I just picked one Carlisle Radial HD as a loose spare.

What a solid trailer tire!!! Better than the RH series I tried years ago.

And 81mph speed rating.

Simple tire dot com has the best prices I've ever seen. Locally these run 110-120. I bought this for about $60, shipped to me door.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Brisk wrote:
RAS43 wrote:
I don't know how many miles you travel in a year but IMO if I only got 4 years out of a tire before it starts showing cracks I wouldn't buy another one. I'd try the Carlisle's.

Did about 6k last year. Trailer sits in the sun when stored. I need to get tire covers.

I have similar experience with miles/storage and do have covers. My tires are close to 5 years old and look okay. They are Michelins and have some cracking which I have seen is normal and Michelin has said that they are good. I will continue running them.

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the Carlisle HDs last year. They are too new to determine longevity. But so far they look brand new after a few trips. And have a good load rating and speed rating.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

Brisk
Explorer II
Explorer II
RAS43 wrote:
I don't know how many miles you travel in a year but IMO if I only got 4 years out of a tire before it starts showing cracks I wouldn't buy another one. I'd try the Carlisle's.

Did about 6k last year. Trailer sits in the sun when stored. I need to get tire covers.
Brent('85) & Lindsay('86) DDs('08 &'11)

'14 RAM Laramie 3500SRW CCLB Cummins/4x4/68RFE
-B&W Turnover Ball/Anderson Ultimate Aluminum

Toyhauler-'06 Forest River Sierra Sport F32

2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX Wakeboat

Rjdreyer
Explorer
Explorer
Think Carlisle's come in a load range F also for those that are on the skirts of E rated.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put a set of Maxxis 8008 LRD on my trailer and had no complaints. Around 4K miles I did develop a slow leak in one of the tires. Was going to replace them after 5 years but went ahead and put on a set of the Carlisle HDs, LRD again. No problems. I did read extensively about the Carlisles because of past problems I had with a set on my Starcraft hybrid. The tire has good reviews, they were less expensive than the Maxxis and were easier to obtain where I live.

I wouldn't hesitate with either of your choices. Both are good tires IMO.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I will replace my current Maxxis tires with either Maxxis or the Carlisle HD's. I've read of no problems yet with the Carlisle HD's, and with their previous rep, I'm sure there would be lots of comments if folks were experiencing any major problems with them.

I would not be opposed to the new Goodyear Endurance ST tire, depending on reports between now and when I must replace.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Carlisle no question. I have the RH`s and have been very happy with them. My next set will be the HD`s.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxis for sure.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Maxxis and have had really good luck with them.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Carlisle and couldn't be happier. From what I've seen here, they may be easier to get if you need a replacement.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Cant go wrong with either option.

Personally I've become a real fanboy of the Carlisle HD (an improved RH series).

The Endurance tires appear to compete with these two, having nearly the same ratings, which include higher speed ratings. Their claim to fame right now is "Made in America" and people are going (falling?) for it. Time will tell. They will be out there in masses as they are becoming the OEM tire option for a few major trailer OEM's. This could back fire on Goodyear, where they have high volumes on the road, and thus a higher number of reported failures. Again...time will tell.

To be fair, depending how heavy your 5th wheel is and how often and far you travel, there may be commercial grade tires that are better suited for you, at a cost. Sailunes are competitively prices, have a good rep, but made in China. Goodyear G614's and Michelin Ribs are popular as well.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I have had great service from Maxxis 8008's.
I also have been hearing good stuff about the new Carlisle HD's.

And now Goodyear has a new ST tire made in the U.S. called "Endurance"
When I need new rubber, I will be checking these out also.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro