cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need a narrow motorhome or folding mirrors at least

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I found a nice Bounder, but it would not fit through my electric gate beside my house. The 8.5 foot body plus 1 foot for each mirror came out to 10.5 foot. If the mirrors would have folded at the body it would have cleared. It was about 8 inches too wide. ๐Ÿ˜ž Do they make mirrors that fold at the body ? Are there Class A's that are less than 8.5 foot wide? I could get the Class C through cause the mirrors are more tucked in at the cab body. DW says go back to a class C, might have to, but would really like an A. Thanks for any info.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.
37 REPLIES 37

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
4x4van wrote:
As Tinstar says, find the coach you want and replace the mirrors. Letting mirrors dictate which RV I buy would never happen.

it should if that is the only way you can store it at home.
bumpy

Except that's not the only way. Replacing the mirrors with ones that fold is another way.

I certainly agree IF you can replace them without it ending up looking like a cobbled up mess. ifhe can, what is the issue here? replace them.
I still am confused however, if he has the same width at the gate and beside the house. if it is that narrow at the house then the "gate" isn't the only isssue.
bumpy

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
4x4van wrote:
As Tinstar says, find the coach you want and replace the mirrors. Letting mirrors dictate which RV I buy would never happen.

bumpy

Except that's not the only way. Replacing the mirrors with ones that fold is another way.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:

bumpy

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
Just not having much more luck finding 96" options. I did find that the Thor Hurricane and A.C.E. are listed as 99" where other Thor stuff is listed at 102". That 3" may help?
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
so it isn't just the gate width that is too narrow, the distance from lot line fence to house is the same width?
bumpy

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Before I gave up on the coach I really like, I think I would investigate modifying the mirrors on that one. I'd bet you could find a different style of mirror for a few hundred dollars. It can be done fairly easy I would think, but if you're dead set on finding something that fits without any modification, it's a mute point. There are probably several early 90's models that are 8 foot wide.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
so the entire area where you want to put the RV is too narrow, not just the gate? rent/lease a 1 ft x 1 ft area from him and redo the fence post a little. does your code allow fences on the border, not requiring a setback?
One of the reasons I traded motorhomes quickly the first time was because that was at a time where 8 ft.ones were being replaced with 8 1/2s and I wanted an 8 foot one, but that was about 1994 or so?

bumpy

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear you have dealt with the apnea thing. I have a dental appliance as well for travel where electric is not available usually far enough off grid that I don't have the coach either. It works for me just not as well as the machine.

I would look for a coach with swing away mirrors or a modification to replace existing fixed mirrors with more flexible mirrors. Mine can be moved back flat to the coach.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I'm having a tough time visualizing the situation. one side of the gate is at the neighbor and his lot line, so it can't be moved. what is blocking moving the other side of the gate to widen it? or just put a walk way gate at that end.
bumpy

Thanks Bumpy. One side of the gate is attached to a steel post in concrete thats flat up against the side of the house. On the other side is a cedar fence on the property line. The gate swings on hinges on the 4x4 steel post that lays against the house. There is no more room to widen anything. There's the house on one side and immovable neighbors fence on the other.

Thank you Tderonne, yes twins in the back would be OK and I could make bunks work also. It's a solvable problem with the right rig, mirrors and layout.

Thank you guys on the advice of a sleep study. I did that and had the machine and the whole works. I had to quit the machine because I have a very patent eustachian tube and it would pressurize my middle ear. I have a custom dental prothesis for it now, and it works good. Cost about $1800
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
So 3-4 years put you into one of the ones I mentioned. (And remove Serrano from the list it's wider.) Does twins in the back make three sleeping spaces?

I'm trying to remember more. Looks like the Land Yacht stayed narrow until 2004. It's also low as it isn't a basement model. Storage suffers there. I want to say some of the non-slide holdouts stayed narrow (go figure, widebodies really open up a non-slide interior). Something like a Coachmen or Hurricane, but haven't found any specs.

If it's straight shot, where you can clear by inches (or less) I kind of like the front mounted mirrors. But then there's awning arms, grab handles, and other stuff to consider. Maybe overhung mirrors would help:

That's a National RV Dolphin. Not sure what others did the mirrors like that.

There's been other threads about finding 96" wide motorhomes. That's all that's allowed in Australia. There was a guy looking for one to export there. Might include "Australia" in a google search to find that.
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having a tough time visualizing the situation. one side of the gate is at the neighbor and his lot line, so it can't be moved. what is blocking moving the other side of the gate to widen it? or just put a walk way gate at that end.
bumpy

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our bounder has hex allen wrench tighteners. We can loosen and mirrors will wiggle to the side. I think we could even pull them off just haven't tried.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
xctraveler wrote:
Have you considered a sleep study? I was on the verge of being kicked out until I got my CPAP machine 25 years ago. I no longer snore nor do I have any apneas any more. That also could solve your floor plan issues.

I know this is way off topic, but snoring can be symptomatic of a serious health risk.:o

x2
bumpy