cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sanitize or replace old camper fresh water holding tank?

urbex
Explorer
Explorer
About 6 months ago I bought a '74 Amerigo camper. There was water in the fresh water holding tank when I bought it, and has been until now when I finally had a chance to start working on some issues before the first time I took it out camping.

The black water holding tank needs to be replaced due to severe cracking, and it got me wondering about what to do with the fresh water tank too. I don't have a clue when the last time the camper was used before I got it, thus I also don't know how long the water has been sitting in the tank.

Should I plan on replacing the fresh water tank and fill hose as a precaution as well, or would I be OK going through the normal flush and sanitizing on it (or perhaps some kind of "deep sanitizing" if there is such a thing)? I realize there is likely still some water in the plumbing as well that would be rather unfeasible to also replace without a full rebuild of the camper, but since it's all copper with the exception of the fill hose, I'm less concerned about those. I'm also prepared for the possible need to replace the hot water heater if the standing water has caused damage to it as well.
1990 Ford F350 CCLB DRW 7.3 4x4
1990 Lance LC980 truck camper
31 REPLIES 31

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
I'd pull the tank, just because it is so old, it is likely rusted through. I'd also consider replumbing, because PEX with GOOD connections (think Flair-It or Uponor's ProPEX connections) will be a definite upgrade.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
DrewE wrote:

Having lived at times in places where the tap water was not safe to drink, the answer was pretty simple. Pathogens in the water do not survive in the air for very long at all, so once the dishes are clean and dry they are fit to use. Purifying water for drinking was a rather tedious process, involving either boiling it for a few minutes or filtering it through an expensive (and slow) filter.

Here in the US where the tap water is generally safe to drink, I don't understand the reluctance of many here to drink water from the potable water system in an RV. Of course, they are quite free to do as they see fit; I merely fail to follow their reasoning.

Interesting. I've done an internet search and all the health/environmental agencies state that you can wash dishes in "contaminated tap water" IF you soak them for at least 1 minute in lukewarm water with bleach afterwards and let them air dry.

I probably should have mentioned that they were rinsed in very hot (simmering/boiling) water, though I don't know how essential that is with a thorough air drying. It's been awhile since I had to deal with that. My recollection is that at least most of the waterborne pathogens were not very hardy at all in air.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
replace the tank
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
urbex wrote:
Perhaps it stems from the same thing that causes many people to believe that they can't drink water straight out of a river or lake without first purifying it, despite that many of us grew up in a time where we swallowed plenty of the stuff long before environmental regulations went into effect...or we all grew up drinking water straight out of the green garden hose, but we all carry the special white hose to fill our tanks...

I don't know....just like I didn't know if there was anything that would be a cause for concern in a tank that may have had water in it for 6 months or 6 years...

As for drinking it..if I filled up at home, I wouldn't hesitate to drink it, but after years of living on a well, I've found that I can't stand the taste of most city tap water any more, so having bottled water on board is pretty likely anyways.

That's because public water is full of Chlorine, Chloramine, Fluoride, dissolved solids and lots of other things. That stuff will kill you. But they tell you it's safe - and make you pay for it to boot.

General Jack Ripper agrees with you:

Do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk, ice cream? Ice cream, Mandrake? Children's ice cream!...You know when fluoridation began?...1946. 1946, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual, and certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works. I first became aware of it, Mandrake, during the physical act of love...Yes, a profound sense of fatigue, a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I-I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence. I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
urbex wrote:
Perhaps it stems from the same thing that causes many people to believe that they can't drink water straight out of a river or lake without first purifying it, despite that many of us grew up in a time where we swallowed plenty of the stuff long before environmental regulations went into effect...or we all grew up drinking water straight out of the green garden hose, but we all carry the special white hose to fill our tanks...

I don't know....just like I didn't know if there was anything that would be a cause for concern in a tank that may have had water in it for 6 months or 6 years...

As for drinking it..if I filled up at home, I wouldn't hesitate to drink it, but after years of living on a well, I've found that I can't stand the taste of most city tap water any more, so having bottled water on board is pretty likely anyways.

That's because public water is full of Chlorine, Chloramine, Fluoride, dissolved solids and lots of other things. That stuff will kill you. But they tell you it's safe - and make you pay for it to boot.
2013 ACE 29.2

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
OK. I don't get it. Why would you wash your dishes in water that you wouldn't drink?

Having lived at times in places where the tap water was not safe to drink, the answer was pretty simple. Pathogens in the water do not survive in the air for very long at all, so once the dishes are clean and dry they are fit to use. Purifying water for drinking was a rather tedious process, involving either boiling it for a few minutes or filtering it through an expensive (and slow) filter.

Here in the US where the tap water is generally safe to drink, I don't understand the reluctance of many here to drink water from the potable water system in an RV. Of course, they are quite free to do as they see fit; I merely fail to follow their reasoning.

Interesting. I've done an internet search and all the health/environmental agencies state that you can wash dishes in "contaminated tap water" IF you soak them for at least 1 minute in lukewarm water with bleach afterwards and let them air dry.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

urbex
Explorer
Explorer

1990 Ford F350 CCLB DRW 7.3 4x4
1990 Lance LC980 truck camper

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
OK. I don't get it. Why would you wash your dishes in water that you wouldn't drink?

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

MKish
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going to drink from it, replace it because plastic doesn't age well and it will probably affect the water flavor. If you are bringing another source for drinking, just bleach it and be done!

jwandvassie
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
ppine wrote:
Water tanks grow algae when they are left with water in them. It is hard to get rid of. I just have gotten in the habit of not drinking out of the fresh water tank for that reason. We just carry drinking water separately and fill up when it is convenient. It is no big deal and a lot safer.

Algae requires light to grow.

+1

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Water tanks grow algae when they are left with water in them. It is hard to get rid of. I just have gotten in the habit of not drinking out of the fresh water tank for that reason. We just carry drinking water separately and fill up when it is convenient. It is no big deal and a lot safer.

Algae requires light to grow.
2013 ACE 29.2

j_p_f_
Explorer
Explorer
when you run sanitized water through the lines it contacts all the inside of the water line.
no matter how full you fill your fresh water tank it will not reach the top of the tank.
how do you scrub the upper part of the tank?
will it be sanitized from driving around for the sloshing effect to clean all the tank.
if I were worried I would change the tank.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would just sanitize the tank you are going to use, run the chlorine water thru all the lines, let it sit for a few hours, then rinse well and put a filter on so that any new incoming water is filtered.