cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED Bulb Upgrade

DCamp84
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys. I wanted to change out all the bulbs in the trailer to LED. my unit has the 12v Type 921 bulbs. I wanted to know what everyone with this bulb type chose to change it with. How many lumens did you go, did you stick with the warm white or go cooler. I'm torn. I like the look of the cool white but there's a fine line between the bright/new look and the laboratory look lol. Any reviews and where to buy would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
2011 Keystone Copper Canyon 5th Wheel
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LTZ CCSB 4x4
Pullrite SuperGlide 4100
17 REPLIES 17

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced all of mine with the bright white panels and I can't believe how much heat they put off! There is enough heat that the glue in the adhesive backing (to hold the panels in place)failed after short use.
I'm not sure if I got cheap LED's or not but they are going to have to be swapped out for something else.

This is the exact same thing that happened to me. All the adhesive had shriveled up from the heat.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
I used these and was very pleased with them.All most a perfect match to the stock 921 color and brightness.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EDFM5QU
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

CC-skipjack
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced all of mine with the bright white panels and I can't believe how much heat they put off! There is enough heat that the glue in the adhesive backing (to hold the panels in place)failed after short use.
I'm not sure if I got cheap LED's or not but they are going to have to be swapped out for something else.
Charlie K
CC-skipjack

2000 Cedar Creek 30RL / 2001 GMC 2500HD

DCamp84
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
To match the existing old yellow-ish bulbs in color and brightness, you need 300 lumen brightness and color "warm white" or "soft white", with color temperature 3000K.

Some prefer cooler color in workplaces or kitchen counter - those would be 5000-6000K. Try 3000K first, this is what you've been living so far.

I bought this pack of 10, many people here bought from the same guy: $27, pack of 10
Only for a kitchen hood I bought a smaller plate, 12 LEDs per board instead of 24. I don't think that in RV dome light a "cob" LED would work any better than these SMD boards, and boards are cheaper than cobs. For a sconce light you need a "cob".

His Ebay storefront is huge. If you feel like browsing, double check before ordering to make sure that brightness and color are what you need.

As usual with China-direct buy, it took a month to arrive.

There can be such thing as radio interference - some lights generate noise on radio-frequency. Mine don't. Cheaper variety of LEDs usually don't.

Energy consumption - 4 times less than the old bulbs, my batteries are happier now. It says 3W, old bulbs were 18W, so it "should be" 6 times less, but it's 4 times.
If you are on shore power, there isn't much need to replace.

Great info thank you !
Pullrite SuperGlide 4100

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
a lot of tips were posted here on how to attach the board to the dome light - glue, cable ties, etc.
? They come with double-sided foam tape on the back, just peel and stick. Not the best stuff, but worked fine for all but one of mine, and I just used some better quality 3M stuff on that one.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, those boards from DX with pigtail connector and several different adapters were popular at the beginning, and a lot of tips were posted here on how to attach the board to the dome light - glue, cable ties, etc. Now most people prefer boards with built-in plug, like those that I purchased. Pigtails can still be useful where direct plug into receptacle wouldn't work due to particular light shape.

Free shipping to Canada is nice. Not everybody on Ebay does this, though my seller did - now they started charging $3 to Canada, still free to the US. One would think that Canada, being so grossly open to China in every possible way, could have better postal service arrangements with them ๐Ÿ™‚

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced mine with ones from dx.com. They're flat panels, and just stick inside the fixture. Those provide more light than the round bulb replacements, because it's all directed down. They're a bit brighter than the original bulbs, and use about 30% of the current. DX also has some smaller ones (#283830), which are a bit dimmer than the bulbs, but only draw ~16% the current. I like the warm white ones.

They include adapters to plug into 921-type sockets. They're a little bit fussy, but work fine once plugged in.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
To match the existing old yellow-ish bulbs in color and brightness, you need 300 lumen brightness and color "warm white" or "soft white", with color temperature 3000K.

Some prefer cooler color in workplaces or kitchen counter - those would be 5000-6000K. Try 3000K first, this is what you've been living so far.

I bought this pack of 10, many people here bought from the same guy: $27, pack of 10
Only for a kitchen hood I bought a smaller plate, 12 LEDs per board instead of 24. I don't think that in RV dome light a "cob" LED would work any better than these SMD boards, and boards are cheaper than cobs. For a sconce light you need a "cob".

His Ebay storefront is huge. If you feel like browsing, double check before ordering to make sure that brightness and color are what you need.

As usual with China-direct buy, it took a month to arrive.

There can be such thing as radio interference - some lights generate noise on radio-frequency. Mine don't. Cheaper variety of LEDs usually don't.

Energy consumption - 4 times less than the old bulbs, my batteries are happier now. It says 3W, old bulbs were 18W, so it "should be" 6 times less, but it's 4 times.
If you are on shore power, there isn't much need to replace.

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
I added to a post months back like this. What I have found is 3 different bulbs for my trailer worked well. The lights above the bed were too bright with the bright white so I swapped them to a warm white. In the living/kitchen area I prefer the brighter bulbs. In the garage I prefer brighter lights. For the scene lights out side I have a combo of bright and warm lights. Sitting by the campfire we like a little light so we don't trip over anything and when we need to set up or light up the area I turn on the big boys.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went with bright in the main living area. Softer warm in the bunks and bedroom areas.
I think you will need 200 to 300 lumens to get the same light as the 921.
Mine (superbrightleds.com) are a little less and that works fine for me.
lowest price will be direct from China.

DCamp84
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
DCamp84 wrote:
How many lumens did you go, did you stick with the warm white or go cooler.

~ 300 lumens, warm white @ 3200 degrees Kelvin, not as warm as incandescent @ 2600K but certainly warmer than awful 6000K cold white.

Great picture! thank you
Pullrite SuperGlide 4100

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I also bought this ten pack
LED 921

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I got my LEDs to replace 921s from superbrightleds.com. They were available in "cool" or "warm". I wanted warm (slightly reddish) because that is more relaxing in the evening. The LED brightness was very close to the original 921 incandescents.

The price per bulb was half of what I saw at my dealers and at my local Camping World. I ordered 28 bulbs; shipping cost was $2.29.

One minor caveat: the LEDs came with a lump of solder on each wire which made their bases too fat to be inserted into the sockets. It was a simple matter to scrape each base with a sharp knife to make them fit.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went with the daylight white, after first using the "warm white" leds, all from ebay seller 2011_LED. I like the true white much better than the yellowish color of incandescents.
I have had no problems with any leds from that seller, including getting an incorrect order. They promptly resent the correct order.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L