cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Protecting The Truck

Montara24d
Explorer
Explorer
Making our first trip to Alaska this spring towing a 5th wheel, & have found this forum very helpful. My question is has anyone made any type of protective gravel guard for the front of the pick up?
John
John & Stephanie
Aquebogue, N.Y.
2016 Ford 4X4, Lariat
6.7, SRW, long bed
34' 5th wheel
18 REPLIES 18

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
tinner12002 wrote:
The only thing I plan to do when we go is to put a tube front guard on the truck to help prevent animals from hitting the truck. Some of those have built in headlight and grill guards/screens, but I want one for the lower 48 too.

Make sure it is very well made and solidly mounted, many brush guards cause more damage than not having one. We have big animals (moose) that are tall enough to fold the top of the guard over into the grill/radiator area.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I plan to do when we go is to put a tube front guard on the truck to help prevent animals from hitting the truck. Some of those have built in headlight and grill guards/screens, but I want one for the lower 48 too.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sea Dog wrote:
One service that the protective contraptions do
is provide a laugh for the natives.
I asked about headlight covers in Whitehorse,
the Ford parts guy laughed and said" we only sell those to tourists"!

Totally, seen a few contraptions up there or on the way that gave a good chuckle.
Yes there are a few gravel stretches under construction. Yes the TOW hwy, Denali hwy etc are gravel, but idk what make people think it's different than anywhere else.
Use some common sense and don't take a vehicle you can't handle a few rock chips on.
Overall it's a mellow easy drive. Only thing that got me on my toes was hitting that area in.....wherever .....where the bison sit on the road.....at dusk!
Come flyin around a corner and here's a dozen big brown "rocks" in the road! They didn't move, had to weave thru them and it kept me awake pretty well for the next couple hours!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Slow down! Remember, on gravel if a truck or fast moving vehicle approaches, just stop. Damage occurs when your vehicle runs into an air borne rock- not when that rock hits your vehicle. If you are stopped and an air borne rock hits your vehicle, it will not hurt it. It is only when you run into that rock going fast is there damage.

Or when you get rear-ended by the vehicle behind you.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Slow down! Remember, on gravel if a truck or fast moving vehicle approaches, just stop. Damage occurs when your vehicle runs into an air borne rock- not when that rock hits your vehicle. If you are stopped and an air borne rock hits your vehicle, it will not hurt it. It is only when you run into that rock going fast is there damage.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
On our trip we saw a few times as we traveled a guy with a truck who fashioned a chain link fence from his bumper to extend higher than his windshield.

Can you imagine experiencing the beauty of the trip looking through a chain link fence? Plus, that would keep boulders from hitting the windshield but not the road gravel!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Folks just shook their head when viewing this contraption.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
One service that the protective contraptions do
is provide a laugh for the natives.
I asked about headlight covers in Whitehorse,
the Ford parts guy laughed and said" we only sell those to tourists"!
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most posts here on spot on with recommendations and input....

I only use a cheap effective one quarter inch wire mesh that is sold at the hardware store on a roll (three feet wide), and cut to length to buy by the foot.....

Once I pre-measure the area I want to cover on the front grille, I fold the wire mesh in half to make it even stronger as it narrows the one quarter inch square gap even smaller (while leaving the folded uncut side on the top) so to not be exposed to the sharp ends, in which I tuck in the cut edged side underneath the front bumper so it is not exposed, and zip tie onto the front of the grille itself.

Real effective upon :

Durable against striking with large or small rocks and debris, fully protecting the radiator especially against small pea gravel thru construction zones....

Still having unrestricted full flow of air to the radiator....

Radiator core will not build up with bugs and other debris and is easy access directly in front of grille to clean any buildup on the screen mesh in place....

Mesh screen on my 1970 camper rig :

Mesh screen on my 1973 truck rig :

Mesh screen on my 1975 truck rig :

The one element you cannot control is the oncoming traffic thru construction zones and unpaved road surfaces by the careless commercial and passenger vehicle drivers who tend to be in a constant hurry as gravel, flying dirt and debris will spray across your rig after crossing paths with these idiots....I will turn my rig to the far right towards the shoulder and almost stop completely when safe to do so, in order to minimize debris from directly striking the front of my rig and windshield from the speeding careless drivers on these unpaved surfaces.

Here is an example using your imagination of oncoming traffic driving fast in this kind of stretch at a high rate of speed, which can cause damage to radiators without additional protection and potentially damage windshields....

Sep 2013 - Mile 336 Alaska Hwy - Northern British Columbia Canada :

Just my camper rig alone, I have exactly 46,009.2 miles logged in the 20.5 summer season years of ownership as this rig is strictly my one and only designated RV camper vehicle.

I can estimate a conservative number approximately a minimum of 20 percent of log travel total (at least 9200 miles) driven on unpaved road surfaces and buckled frost heaves throughout Alaska, Yukon, British Columbia, Northwest Territories, and Alberta.

jnharley wrote:
Our damage came on good paved road just about 30 miles north of Dawson Creek. We had a cracked windshield and dents in both the truck hood and the front cap of the 5th wheel. A gravel truck going the opposite direction lost some of its load and it hit our truck. We had the damage to the truck repaired after returning to the lower 48 and not more than a couple months later, we were hit by a rock on the interstate and the windshield was broken again. So damage can happen anywhere. That was the only damage we had and we did not meet anyone else who had damage. We were just unlucky.

OK folks, I am going to give out some serious advice on what jnharley posted and what I am going to be preaching here....

What happened to me in September 2011 was practically identical, which it happened 12 miles north of Dawson Creek also on a clear paved roadway as this stupid gravel dump truck with a full load NOT covered at all crossed paths headed southbound around 65 mph and me moving northbound as my windshield got violently hit with more likely a gravel rock as I never saw the debris, glass fragments spread all over the front seat and hit me and my cat in the process, as my cat was so startled she was trying to jump out of her harness she was so scared (sitting on her pillow on top of the generator box which is setup on the passenger side seat), and I was concerned if any glass got in her eyes as I was wearing UV shades when the impact happened....

The traffic was so busy during mid afternoon travelling thru there I could not turn around and attempt to chase the truck down, let alone if I could track the careless driver down at that....I drove straight to Ft. St. John non stop to Walmart and purchased some strong postal clear packaging tape (which one should have onhand) and patched up what I could for the duration home....also purchased a couple towels to place on the dash as the rains had allowed water thru the damaged windshield - I just thanked the lord I did not get potentially killed by the incident - totally unexpected and I am sure it happens more often than one would tend to believe with uncovered loads in the area with so many commercial trucks in the gas industry commuting there.

Sep 2011 - Mile 14 Alaska Hwy - Central British Columbia Canada -windshield damage 3 minutes after impact- :

Glass fragments scattered on pillow and bench seat :

Since 2008 I became aware of all the gas wells and economy boom they had in the central BC area as the whole Peace River district region there had grown substantially...it was a culture shock not seeing the area between 1991 and 2008 with all the changes and population growth in that 17 year gap....I also took note how busy the Alaska Highway was with the commercial gas well equipment related traffic during the summer especially in September as they are gearing up for winter while staging and hauling more equipment around.

Ever since the ordeal that happened to me, I vowed NEVER ever again commute between the Taylor and Dawson Creek areas during mid morning and late afternoons where those dump trucks are hauling the most.....I have arrived thru there late evenings or at night ever since, especially where there is road construction areas there and it was pretty bad in 2016 within the region on the Alaska Highway between mile 20 and mile 38 portion of areas where they have four lane widening projects here and there.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back in 08 I zip tied common household screen on the front of the grill to protect the radiator from bugs & rocks. It is still there. Easy to brush the bugs off no matter where they were collected.

To protect the headlights I used bubble wrap. Did not get any damage. Effective? The lower part of the trailer front got bubble wrap taped to it. The truck has very effective mudflaps.

Second & third trips to Alaska nothing special was done. Keep a distance from vehicle in front. Drive slow & slow down & get over when meeting another vehicle.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

EEWally
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing you won't do what we saw in Queensland, Australia when we spent time there. Folks from the bush would make a metal frame covered with metal hardware cloth that you could see through. It was attached to the front fenders via hinges. When they were in town, they would fold it down onto the hood (bonnet?). When they raced home over gravel roads (they always raced!), they would raise the protection over the windshield (windscreen?). It also kept kangaroos out of the front seat, a very dangerous situation.
1997 Lance Squire 5000, 10-foot camper
2001 Dodge Ram, Cummins, Ext. Cab, 2WD
Our Trip Journal

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We left Arizona with a cracked windshield on the towed Jeep. We decided not to have it repaired thinking we'd just get another on our Alaska trip. We returned to Arizona with the same crack and no additional damage.

As other stated, leave space between you and the person in front of you on gravel/construction areas. When you see an oncoming truck moving fast pull over to the side as far as safe and slow way down. Many times we just moved over and stopped. Some of those roads have very little traffic and you can do so. This is especially true in the Destruction Bay area, rightly named. ๐Ÿ™‚ It will always have miles of gravel because of the permafrost.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Our damage came on good paved road just about 30 miles north of Dawson Creek. We had a cracked windshield and dents in both the truck hood and the front cap of the 5th wheel. A gravel truck going the opposite direction lost some of its load and it hit our truck. We had the damage to the truck repaired after returning to the lower 48 and not more than a couple months later, we were hit by a rock on the interstate and the windshield was broken again. So damage can happen anywhere. That was the only damage we had and we did not meet anyone else who had damage. We were just unlucky.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

kayakcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
The year my Mom and Dad went they did two things. Dad bought an over sized (probably 2" higher while resting on the bumper) bug screen and the unit he bought allowed him to cut out the screen to line up the headlights properly. He also went and bought some of that rubber ribbed floor runner and completely covered the lower section of the front of their fifth. He fastened the rubber to the camper using sheet metal screws and aluminum 1/2" strapping (don't forget to cut out and strap for the propane tank door - do not cut the hinged side and just drill out the smallest hole for the door handle). The only damage they had was a flat tire. My dad was a diesel mechanic and welder and I have to admit that this project of his was one of his best and was the nicest I had ever seen. In retirement he built many beautiful pieces of oak furniture which wasn't bad for a person who grew up in the nineteen twenties and thirties ) and only had a grade three education). I'll sure miss the education I got from him - measure twice and cut once / is there a better way to do this.

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
We drove to Alaska last summer and didn't put anything extra on the front of the vehicle. We had no damage there or to the windshield except for BUGS.
We did get some pitting and roughening of the surface on the front of the 5th wheel in the area directly behind the rear wheels of the TV.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.