cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rain and full RV cover - Yes or No?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I use an ADCO full RV cover for my Class C. Mainly to protect it from the harsh desert sun where I live. I removed it last weekend with plans to use the RV this weekend (Sat-Mon). Rain is on the way and we will not be leaving on Friday as planned.

It will be raining pretty good in the next few days (Fri-Sun).

I was wondering if I should put the cover back on for the next 3-4 days it rains. I plan using the RV for a few days (Mon-Wed) right after the rains which are supposed to end by Monday.

Is it a bad idea to leave it out in the rain if I have a cover?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
9 REPLIES 9

chesterb
Explorer
Explorer
Baja Man wrote:
roof is sound.....it is 100% aluminum. Last summer all vents, AC, etc were checked and touch up caulking applied as needed.

I don't understand your reasoning for covering it up again then.
2011 Dodge 2500 Hemi, Crewcab, 4x4, 4.10
2013 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Cover is suppose to help from tree sap/debris and sun/UV rays - not water/moisture.
Kevin

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rain will not hurt an RV in good condition. Leave it off.

fireflock
Explorer
Explorer
I use the cover to protect from (1) UV Rays and (2) junk falling from trees. On the east coast where I live, everything is covering with tree dropping at certain times of the year.

For a few days, particularly if I'm going to wash it anyway before or after the trip, I'm not going to worry about the cover.

For what it's worth, my Adco cover doesn't keep all of the rain off and I don't think it's designed to. The outside of the RV still gets pretty wet.

I especially wouldn't put to cover on if it would still be wet when you leave for the trip.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I am an ardent user but I wouldn't put it on just for a few days unless you have some kind of leak issue.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
We are prepping for 2-4" of rain in SoCal over Friday/Saturday.

I have a full cover for my Toy Hauler but have yet to use it in the two years I've had it.

I know out in the IE it can get very hot but for just a few days I wouldn't worry about it.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
roof is sound.....it is 100% aluminum. Last summer all vents, AC, etc were checked and touch up caulking applied as needed.
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming the roof doesn't leak, rain won't hurt anything. It might be a good idea to check that the window weep holes are clear of debris (if your windows are a type that have them).

If the roof leaks, get up there post haste and fix the leak and then it won't leak and the rain won't hurt anything.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
While I'm a firm believer in covering my tt over the winter when it's not used for months, I wouldnt cover it for just a few days because it is going to rain. It won't melt! Besides, what are you going to do with the wet cover if you're leaving right away?