Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installed new roof A/C - question about roof

Biggyniner
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I recently replaced the roof A/C on my 94 Minnie Winnie. I noticed that the sides of the A/C cutout sagged slightly. The front and rear of the cutout had a roof beam along side of it so no sagging there, and there is no water damage. It just looks like with its age the sides developed a bit of a droop.

I managed to cinch down the A/C tight enough so it doesn't leak but I am curious if anyone else has ever encountered this? Is there anyway to reinforce the cutout? The roof is fairly thin, its aluminum - foam - then roof panel, all in all a little over an inch thick, so I don't really see a way I can add support...

Any thoughts/advise are appreciated... Everything else about the RV is perfect and it has many more years left in her...

Chris
Chris (KD7WZW)
2003 Tiffin Allegro Bus M-32IP
7 REPLIES 7

Biggyniner
Explorer
Explorer
Baja Man wrote:
Is there a way to add frames (ex. 2"x2") to under side of roof where it is sagging (as are on the other two sides? Is the roof skin aluminum?

I don' see how since the roof is thin. It does have an aluminum roof.
Chris (KD7WZW)

Biggyniner
Explorer
Explorer
fourthclassC wrote:
Interesting situation as I am considering a new roof AC also. Do you know if your Winnie has a square tube aluminium frame? If so it may only be a bending from the weight and bumps over time and may not need any attention or addtional support. If it has the aluminium frame it may just have bent and then stabilized within the structure. I hope it is that. Agree with the comment about Marine Tex. It is great matereial. Might be good for shimming to straighten out the frame if needed.

It does have the aluminum framing. I did find it interesting that they did use some wood around the a/c vent. I will check out the Marine Tex stuff if it starts leaking, so far the rain has not come in.
Chris (KD7WZW)

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chris Bryant wrote:
If it's not enough of a sag to keep condensate from draining, I wouldn't worry about it- you can use a string to see how bad the sag is-

If the base pan is above the string, good to go.

If it's sag like that level the coach a bit raised or lowered in one direction (front to back) so it will drain off the front or back.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting situation as I am considering a new roof AC also. Do you know if your Winnie has a square tube aluminium frame? If so it may only be a bending from the weight and bumps over time and may not need any attention or addtional support. If it has the aluminium frame it may just have bent and then stabilized within the structure. I hope it is that. Agree with the comment about Marine Tex. It is great matereial. Might be good for shimming to straighten out the frame if needed.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
If it's not enough of a sag to keep condensate from draining, I wouldn't worry about it- you can use a string to see how bad the sag is-

If the base pan is above the string, good to go.
-- Chris Bryant

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
If the area is solid and just uneven and you want to level an area for your seal to rest on, you can use a product called "MarineTex" It is a 2 part epoxy and very easy to use. It can be drilled and sanded. Screws work very good in it. Find it at marine stores and possible Home Depot. My life would not be complete without it.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a way to add frames (ex. 2"x2") to under side of roof where it is sagging (as are on the other two sides? Is the roof skin aluminum?
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K