cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing an RV from Europe to the US

rebourke2003
Explorer
Explorer
Having lived in Hawaii for the past 4 decades we have always rented RVs when we travel on the "Mainland" US or in Europe. But now we are moving back to California and wish to purchase a B+ RV. In Europe several companies make very nice small (< 6m or ~19.5 ft)coach built RVs with a design that is not available in the US. (see for example the 5.99m Challenger: http://www.challenger-motorhomes.com/low-profiles/194#model or the Chausson 514: http://www.lemondeducampingcar.fr/guide-d-achat/chausson-514-ford.html, both of which are built with the Ford Transit chassis and engine). The units are very compact, but come with a raised bed in the rear which makes room for ample storage beneath that is accessible from the outside.

Has anyone ever been able to successfully import one of these small RVs back into the US? The Ford chassis and engine make overcoming the significant USEPA and USDOT import criteria possible, but I'm not so sure about the European wiring and plumbing standards meeting with import restrictions. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has seriously attempted or actually been successful importing an RV from Europe.

Mahalo! (thanks)
21 REPLIES 21

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
REBourke wrote:
I've managed to get into contact with a lower level official at Ford who says that the Ford Transit chassis and motors are likely built in the US to US standards. I've just received a VIN# from a dealer near Paris & so will check this with Ford to confirm manufacture.

Good to hear that the electric conversion will likely not be a problem, but at this point I'm not going to worry about either electric or plumbing issues until I can confirm that the chassis and motor are likely to meet the US import standards.

I like the suggestion to purchase the Ford BEFORE it is transported (not exported permanently) to France as this may help with importation of the modified US vehicle back into the US.

Please keep the suggestions and comments coming in and I'll update as progress is being made.

Aloha!
Bob

The Transits for the North American market (and South America)are built in the Kansas City assembly plant. Transits for Europe, Africa, and Asia are built by Ford Otosan in Kocaeli Province, Turkey. Those are the only two Transit plants worldwide, according to Wikipedia.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Not practical. As already mentioned, the entire electric system will not be compatible. The next hurdle is converting the vehicle part to U.S. standards. Just because it is a make and model also sold in the U.S. does not mean that it is built to U.S. standards. The vehicle will have to meet current U.S. standards for emissions, safety glass, air bags, crash worthiness, and headlights.

Even if it's the exact same make & model built to the exact same standards, you have to prove to the US govt that it meets and I would be shocked if the manufacturer would want to get involved.

As far as the wiring: you would have to go thru and convert everything to run on 120v/60hz or you need to install a system to convert the 120v/60hz to 240v/50hz.
- A step up transformer can do the voltage but now you are running at a different hertz...some device don't care. Others won't be happy.
- The gold standard solution if you don't want to replace the appliances is to install a large battery charger to feed the battery bank and then run everything off an inverter...this solves both the voltage and hertz issues but is expensive.

Of course, when your air/con goes out, you now have to source a 240v/50hz model, so spare parts tend to be a hassle.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I purchased a Honda Ruckus titled in Arizona. It needed to be disassembled enough for CHP to view three areas for VIN numbers.

That took a few days at their inspection site, then California said there are no smog certifications for the Scooter so I couldn't register it in California. Now, I couldn't register it in Arizona again, which many people do using friends addresses, because the seller did not notarize his signature on the title. The seller was uncooperative as it was payment for a debt.

So..... as i sat in AAA office speaking to the agent she said, it has to be under 50cc then it would be smog exempt. Well guess what. Honda made these 49CC.

Moral? of the story? attempting to import a vehicle and getting it to comply with US regulations, in my opinion, is a total waste of time.

I filed a non-op registration as the bike is used as a pit bike at racing events. I insure it, man that's another story, for legal reasons.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here’s the official line straight from the US Customs & Border Protection website:

“Nonresidents/visitors may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use up to one year if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner’s arrival. Vehicles imported under this provision that do not conform to U.S. safety and emission standards must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the U.S. There is no exemption or extension of the export requirements.”

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like OP may have given up on the idea, shame not to give a final post after getting so many replies. I notice that the nifty VW van camper is not being exported to US, probably due to expensive compatibility problems that would have to be dealt with by VW and US buyers.

If I were trying to import and RV, I would try to get advice from California DMV and Federal ecology bureaus to see what I'd be up against. I wonder if such a conversion project would be at all cost-effective and worth the time and effort.

VIVA714
Explorer
Explorer
Hi..
We are very curious to know if you were able to buy an RV in Europe and bring it to USA...
If yes. Could you please give us some recommendations to where to start?
How was you general experience?

Thank you??
VIVA

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Tatest wrote:
Buying on the Transit doesn't help much, as the U.S. Transit does not have engines and transmissions in common with most overseas versions. Many European Transits are built with smaller 4-cylinder diesel engines, or a 2.3 liter gasoline engines, while U.S. Transits share gas drivetrains with the F-150; the 3.2 l Duratorq is the only engine in common, but comes with different emi

European Transits do have automatics, we have them on ours.Emission requirements are the major issues in both the European and US Transits.
3.2 engine cannot be used in Europe due to Euro 6 regulations 2.3 Petrol engine would be extremely rare, as 99.9'% of Transits are diesels in Europe.
Ducato Diesel is not the same engine as used in the RAM( VM Motori one), but is used in the Promaster, but tuned for US Tier emissions.
Same engine surprisingly is used in the Mitsubishi Fuso truck in the US. Only Japanese vehicle to have a European designed engine. Fuso is also a misnomer, as all the various Mitsubishi Trucks are part of the Fuso series, including HDT's
A US Van meeting FMVSS standards will not necessarily meet European ENCAP standards, glaring example the latest Mustang, that had a miserable 2 rating under ENCAP.
It had certain structural problems that are not that easy to fix

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bringing a motor vehicle in temporarily is fairly easy. Visitors from Europe, Mexico, Central America do it all the time, there is just some paperwork certifying that the vehicle is not staying. For import and registration in the U.S., however, you need the vehicle certified to meet U.S. FVMSS and EPA standards and pay import duties.

Buying on the Transit doesn't help much, as the U.S. Transit does not have engines and transmissions in common with most overseas versions. Many European Transits are built with smaller 4-cylinder diesel engines, or a 2.3 liter gasoline engines, while U.S. Transits share gas drivetrains with the F-150; the 3.2 l Duratorq is the only engine in common, but comes with different emissions controls and a manual transmission in Europe, rather than the automatic used on all U.S.-made Transits. In addition, you will likely find that the Euro RVs you find most compact are built on front-drive Transits, which have not been safety tested for the U.S.

You will find similar issues with RVs built on the Ducato (or the Citroen and Peugeot clones from France). Of the seven diesel engines used in the Ducato in Europe is the basis for the 3.0 liter Ecodiesel used for in Ram Promaster, but emissions systems may not be the same. The Pentastar V-6 automatic transmission drivetrain used by the Promaster is not available on Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen vans in Europe.

Best bet might be something built on a Sprinter, as the 3-liter V-6 (OM642) is shared across European and North America Sprinter models, but again there might be emissions system differences.

As for FMVSS, models that have been crash-tested as U.S. versions will have issues mostly with standards for lighting and safety equipment (e.g. the EU mandated rear fog light is illegal here) but those conversions have been fairly easily made, or at least were 10-13 years ago when my Ranger pickup went to Europe, got converted, brought back, and converted back to U.S. standards.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
I think it can be done. I base that on seeing a European unit from France in Cape Cod last summer. Spoke to the owner for a while but it was broken French and English. I think it is worth doing. European RV industry is very advanced and in many ways superior lay outs and design aspects. I saw many cool campers in England and Germany and wish I coulod have checked them out in more detail.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
Making it EPA compliant would be nearly impossible and very expensive. Even the the motors are the same, the fueling and aftertreatment systems are very different. Also under the skin is different structurally too, since FMVSS standards are different as well. Although, I believe the standards are much lower for cutaways, but you'd still have to crash test one first.

Probably a much easier path is to export a North America Transit to Europe for the camper build. You can send the Transit to Europe for 1-year under a carnet and avoid and import duties. I don't think the different interior systems are a deal breaker. They should have no problem installing 120-volt components, or leave those components out for install when you get the US.

If it is a petrol engine no problem,but not a diesel

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
rebourke2003 wrote:
Having lived in Hawaii for the past 4 decades we have always rented RVs when we travel on the "Mainland" US or in Europe. But now we are moving back to California and wish to purchase a B+ RV. In Europe several companies make very nice small (< 6m or ~19.5 ft)coach built RVs with a design that is not available in the US. (see for example the 5.99m Challenger: http://www.challenger-motorhomes.com/low-profiles/194#model or the Chausson 514: http://www.lemondeducampingcar.fr/guide-d-achat/chausson-514-ford.html, both of which are built with the Ford Transit chassis and engine). The units are very compact, but come with a raised bed in the rear which makes room for ample storage beneath that is accessible from the outside.

Has anyone ever been able to successfully import one of these small RVs back into the US? The Ford chassis and engine make overcoming the significant USEPA and USDOT import criteria possible, but I'm not so sure about the European wiring and plumbing standards meeting with import restrictions. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has seriously attempted or actually been successful importing an RV from Europe.

Mahalo! (thanks)

You will have a problem with diesel compliance and Vica versa being imported to Europe

happycamper002
Explorer
Explorer
REBourke wrote:

Good to hear that the electric conversion will likely not be a problem, but at this point I'm not going to worry about either electric or plumbing issues until I can confirm that the chassis and motor are likely to meet the US import standards.
Please keep the suggestions and comments coming in and I'll update as progress is being made.
Aloha!
Bob

I'm not going to dampen your enthusiasm because you seem to be headstrong in getting what you want. I will not cover the other aspects in terms of what you will encounter in RV that is not mfg according to US standard.

The impression that you have that the electrical system in a US made RV compared to foreign built is an easy thing to convert. . . on the contrary it is not.

The 220 volt system is completely different than the usual 120/240 volt system. In areas like Australia/ New Zealand and the entire European Union operate on 220 volt system. Thus, appliances including RVs are wired for this system.

The 220 volt system is fed from distribution transformers whose connections are different configuratively. Most of these systems except in commercial or industrial applications don't have the neutral conductor because of the delta connected secondary winding which is derived from a 2200 volt primary voltage.

And because of the absence of potential between either hot wires to ground, some US appliances will not work properly. Not to mention different plug configuration.

There is more to it that meets the eye.

Another thing that is of great importance is: 220 volt wiring systems use wires that are smaller gauge that NEC allows in terms of residential application. The usual 14 gauge minimum requirement is not mandatory in 220 volt system, in fact it would be an overkill. Compared to 120 volt system, a 220 volt appliance would draw half the energy of a 120 volt system. (watts=volts x amps) Thus the smaller wires.

You can get by with 16 gauge building wire in 220 volt but not in 120 volt system per NEC. And also, due to absence of ground potential they don't require wire enclosures like pull boxes and junction boxes.

You will have to rip out all those interior wiring to replace them and it won't be easy.

I have driven rental (for hire caravans) when I was in Victoria, Australia. Not much grades to negotiate while driving in the wide open country (outback) compared to the High Sierras in Ca.

Don't let my 2 cents dissuade you from what you plan to do. You requested some input and this is my contribution.

Mahalo

REBourke
Explorer
Explorer
WOW! EIGHT substantive replies! That's terrific! None of which have actually accomplished an import..... that's terrifying. Oh well, I didn't expect it to be easy. However, being the persistent type, and having the good fortune of being married to a wonderful French women, I'll keep pushing forward on this to see where it will go.

I've managed to get into contact with a lower level official at Ford who says that the Ford Transit chassis and motors are likely built in the US to US standards. I've just received a VIN# from a dealer near Paris & so will check this with Ford to confirm manufacture.

I like the suggestion to purchase the Ford BEFORE it is transported (not exported permanently) to France as this may help with importation of the modified US vehicle back into the US.

Aloha!
Bob

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Making it EPA compliant would be nearly impossible and very expensive. Even the the motors are the same, the fueling and aftertreatment systems are very different. Also under the skin is different structurally too, since FMVSS standards are different as well. Although, I believe the standards are much lower for cutaways, but you'd still have to crash test one first.

Probably a much easier path is to export a North America Transit to Europe for the camper build. You can send the Transit to Europe for 1-year under a carnet and avoid and import duties. I don't think the different interior systems are a deal breaker. They should have no problem installing 120-volt components, or leave those components out for install when you get the US.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST