cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roadside Assistance from State Farm vs. AAA RV

HawkTX
Explorer
Explorer
Right now I carry both, but it appears I am double paying for no reason because the plans are very similar in what they offer. Am I missing something? I'm thinking about dropping the AAA RV since State Farm offers what they call "a great roadside assistance service" (per my agent). I always appreciate folks thoughts on this forum so I thought I would ask before cancelling.
20 REPLIES 20

jwolf55
Explorer
Explorer
I have State Farm for 40 years, I have not used the roadside assistance in 5 or so years but it was not what I would all a traditional Roadside assistance. It was up to me to get towed, tire repaired or whatever and pay for it. Then I submitted the paid bill to State Farm for reimbursement, the they sent me a check. I see it as more of the road side reimbursement than a SERVICE. Doe anyone know is this still how they work?
Jay Wolf
Vincennes IN
2000 National Tradewinds 7373

et2
Explorer
Explorer
We have AAA rv plus - CoachNet - Statefarm ( MH only). Used AAA years ago - car lockout. Other than that nothing else.

Didn't know I had the Statefarm, but the rate is good on the MH so no bother. I'd probably call CoachNet first for the MH if needed. If problems I have two others to use. For the cars I'll just use the AAA.

I'm not worrying that I have nobody to call. For a couple hundred bucks it's a peace of mind.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
You really need to read the details of each plan and when evaluating AAA, make sure they have the same coverage in all the areas that you expect to be in or drive through. On the East Coast, AAA Plus with RV is great. I have never had trouble getting service no matter where I have been. My AAA region will change an inside dual on the motorhome. However, they will only cover if swapping with a spare wheel and tire. They won't cover having the mobile tire guy bring a spare tire or put a tire on an existing rim.

We live in GA and have broken down several times outside our region. Actually have only used AAA once or twice in my region. Fortunately, the region that we broke down in had the same coverage, so there was no problem. The only issue was it took about 10 extra minutes for AAA to jump through whatever hoops they need to for the different region.

One big benefit of AAA over any other plan I have looked at is that it will cover any vehicle. I don't have to register vehicles with AAA and the vehicle requiring service doesn't even have to be mine. I was in NJ visiting family when my brother's car threw a serpentine belt. I called AAA and then drove over to meet my brother. AAA took the car, I took my brother. No questions asked except, can I see your membership card? AAA will offer any service for any vehicle as long as I am there to show them my card.

AAA offers discounts at many, many places. Usually the savings we get from being a AAA member usually pays for the membership.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing I found out about my State Farm Roadside Assistance is that they won't touch my 5vr. Only the truck.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
My AAA experience. I had a 40 DP at the time. AAA people had no idea how large it was. They sent 3 trucks that I was larger then. After 6 hours I knew a place that could handle my size. I had to pay out of pocket.

I told my State Farm guy what happen. He told me I had towing on my policy. He cut me a check that day.
Called AAA and got my money back for road side policy.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have our coverage thru Coachnet. When they send a truck, I want to make sure it is one that can handle towing a coach. Now if I had a travel trailer it wouldn't be as critical, but many tow trucks cannot handle the weight and size of a large coach.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
If you have AAA, they do not have solid coverage everywhere. In the states where they do, they are great. In the states where they do not, they can maybe help but be ready to do a lot of the foot work on your cell phone. There are three locations that service the less-covered states, and they may be helpful but they can also not be.

Matt

X1, The major reason for having Emergency Road Service is dependibility and reliability.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
How do the 2 compare to GS and Coachnet?

Either one is better for RVers than State Farm and for sure AAA.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
If you have AAA, they do not have solid coverage everywhere. In the states where they do, they are great. In the states where they do not, they can maybe help but be ready to do a lot of the foot work on your cell phone. There are three locations that service the less-covered states, and they may be helpful but they can also not be.

1 - Be very clear what the issue is. We blew a wheel bearing, and the operator sent someone to do a tire repair. Because the coach could not be towed, we needed either a HUGE rollback or a Landdoll (type of flatbed). She said she would get us to a dealer, said dealer had no capability. She got us a motel near that dealer and that was 43 miles from where we were stuck.

2 - No Matter what the issues are, they may cover much of the cost outside of the repair but you have to have all the receipts. As soon as things start happening, get an envelope for said receipts.

3 - You will need to file an arm load of forms for:
a- Towing
b- Lodging (if required)
c- Trip interruption (rental car and other stuff)
You have an limited time to make these claims.

They did cover most of what was submitted.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
How do the 2 compare to GS and Coachnet?
2013 ACE 29.2

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
HawkTX wrote:
Right now I carry both, but it appears I am double paying for no reason because the plans are very similar in what they offer. Am I missing something? I'm thinking about dropping the AAA RV since State Farm offers what they call "a great roadside assistance service" (per my agent). I always appreciate folks thoughts on this forum so I thought I would ask before cancelling.

I have State Farm and discussed this with my agent. She told me a friend of hers waited 5 hours for State Farm Roadside Assistance to send help in metro Wichita. Ultimately the agent had to call a local tow service she has used before to get help. My agents suggestion to me was if I was local to Wichita to call this same tow service and they would bill her direct. Told me to avoid the State Farm Roadside Assistance if I could.

Unfortunately sounds like I'm paying for sorry service. I'm looking into cancelling the State Farm Roadside and going with something different.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

brianpearce
Explorer
Explorer
State Farm user here, I am very happy with the service and it is a minimal addition to my policies for coverage on our vehicles, fifth wheel included. I have used it twice, once blowout on truck while towing fifth wheel. I handled the logistics and submitted my receipt to my local office, receiving a check on the spot for full reimbursement. The most recent time (a blowout in my car on the freeway need tow to tire shop), I called and had help with the arrangements, they arranged to pay the tow company directly.

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a motor home, they probably will not
change a inside duel tire.
Coach Net will.
You need to ask when you talk to them.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If you're traveling each company would use the same tow trucks in the area. They won't have their own fleet of trucks. One policy is sufficient.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel