cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery-generator-charging upgrades?

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
This year will be our longest boondocking trip to date 7-10 days and want to upgrade our camper for this trip. I'd appreciate some suggestions and feedback to make sure we spend our limited budget wisely ๐Ÿ˜‰

We currently have a Group 31 deep cycle battery (few yrs old) and Elixir ELX-45 converter "dumb charger" system. We converted MOST of our lights to LED a while back. I installed a water pressure tank to reduce pump running time a few yrs ago.

Our bathroom exhaust fan is new, but not a Fantastic fan ๐Ÿ˜ž

The setup we're looking to upgrade to is this:

1. Boondocker 4 Stage Power Center 60 Amp (BPC4-60) .... OR just the BD 1255 MBA 55 Amp 4-Stage Main Board Replacement

2. Champion Power Equipment 75537i 3100 Watt RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator with Wireless Remote ...

3. Two GC2 6v Golf Cart Batteries (don't have a supplier yet?)

Our plans include a coffee maker run twice a day, microwave run about 10 mins a few times throughout the day, electric skillet about 45 mins each am and once in a while through the day, and possibly rooftop 13,500 BTU air conditioner run up to 2-3 hours per day.

We plan to run some water for toilet and some dishes, but showers at the campground facilities. The CG is non-electric and no hookups.

So right now I am thinking we'll run the generator and hour or so in the am to make coffee, microwave, and electric skillet for breakfast.

I may pick up a portable propane burner for cooking, we really don't want to cook indoors and don't want to worry about fire/grill/etc in the am while we get ready to leave (destination camping).

I also have a 7.3L Excursion upgraded to 140 amp single alternator (stock is 110 amp).

The site is likely partially shaded, plus we usually camp with only electric hookups with the camper. So we're thinking Solar is too expensive for very limited use and won't run the A/C anyways (at least not in our budget). Yes, we tent camp and such, but the camper is our hotel-away-from-home and we often treat it as such.

Reuse of items.

We are building a small off-grid cabin for weekend guests and short getaways, so figure we will use the generator there, too.

It's possible we will wire the cabin with an RV-style converter/charger setup, with lights all being 12V, with electric option if the generator is running. Basically camper wiring, water tanks, fridge, etc inside a stick frame building

I can upgrade the Elixir or just the main charging board. I can use an external charger. I can hookup "whatever" to the generator.

What would you add/upgrade to have the most comfort with the lower end of the budget for the occasional boondock up to 10 days?

Our camper is a 2004 Starcraft 23SRG Hybrid with PUGs for over the two beds.

Thanks for any input and suggestions.
73 REPLIES 73

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
Oh, we also plan to take our Wave 3 propane heater for cool mornings or nights, or damp rainy days. In a hybrid, it's important to keep things dry ๐Ÿ˜‰

As most of you know, it is ventless and doesn't use any electricity. We plumbed a quick disconnect line under the sink a few years ago and have dual auto-switch 20lb propane tanks.

just remember, when using a non vented propane device (wave, oven, stove) you will dump almost 1 gallon a water into the air for every gallon of propane you use. Not a big issues with stove, oven, but can be an issue with window fogging etc. with a heater which will consume more propane.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Linking this thread to the continuation of our install:

Installation of batteries, inverter, new converter, generator, etc

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
http://www.progressivedyn.com/charge_wizard.html

4600 and 9200 are built in so it is just an indicator and switch.
the original 9100 the wizard actually controls the modes.

I did read the 9200 was inbuilt. I was considering making my own remote switch/indicator, but then found a good price with the pendant included.

Initially, we were trying to piecemeal the system with the bare necessities.

But this year will be the longest we've boondocked to date (7-10 days), we have a NTU camper, and we're taking guests.

We're going down the rabbit hole, so may as well do it "right"

If we don't go broke or our heads explode, then it will be worth it in the end. LOL.

We really do appreciate all the input and help. I'm trying to document as much as I can and share the process and decisions, not just the questions. Make it a little easier for the next person to follow this path if they like.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
mordecai81 wrote:
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJC20

I bought one of these. It is the real deal and bullet-proof. It seals completely. When you open the cam you'll hear the whoosh of the air pressure equalizing. I got a knock-off flexible spout off Amazon.

I looked at this style on Amazon, but the reviews showed thin metal that rusted quickly and had paint on the inside of the nozzles. Likely a different manufacturer, but it did raise the caution flag to not just order it, but search for a good source.

I also considered the rotomolded containers with a hole in the middle for mounting. But they are overpriced about 300%, IMHO.

I want something that isn't going to tip when I fill it, not going to leak fuel or vapors when I transport it (over pressure not withstanding), and won't dribble on a hot generator when I dispense fuel.

I am open to suggestions and recommended vendors ๐Ÿ˜‰

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://www.progressivedyn.com/charge_wizard.html

4600 and 9200 are built in so it is just an indicator and switch.
the original 9100 the wizard actually controls the modes.

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJC20

I bought one of these. It is the real deal and bullet-proof. It seals completely. When you open the cam you'll hear the whoosh of the air pressure equalizing. I got a knock-off flexible spout off Amazon.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips. We *may* go solar down the road. We'll see how much off grid time we spend in it ๐Ÿ˜‰

Here is the generator we just bought Champion 3100 wireless remote start

Comparable to the Honda but lower price. That red paint sure is expensive, LOL.

Up to 8 hrs on 1.6 gal

We haven't tried it out yet. We are looking for a decent gas can (without spill-em-everywhere-tabs on the nozzles) and will power it up. Probably this weekend after we finish replacing the cooling unit on the fridge.

Which charging wizard do you recommend and why?

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
You should invest in a better quieter generator like the Honda 3000i. Without to much pulling on it you will get 24 hours of run time for charging. Of course if you run AC it would be less. It just sits there and purrs along. Mine is now 13 years old so you get what you pay for.
First thing change your batteries. This is my second TT and my last TT had Trojan T-125's 10 yrs old and going strong. So I did the same thing on this new to me TT. The trick to batts is never let them get below 50% otherwise you shorten the life. In the morning, start the gen and charge up the batts, while you are making coffee using water pump etc. You may have to run genny for 2-4 hours to charge them up depending on how much you discharged.

Those are the first two things. After buy a charge wizard module to plug into your existing charger, it will properly maintain and charge the batts.

Later on perhaps you can add solar. I have had solar for two years and my last 4 times out dry camping a week at a time, I never started the generator. We even got lazy and used the elec perk coffee pot instead of the stove. We watch TV, dvd's, play on our laptops, charge phones. Two of the trips included 3 college kids with all of there toys.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
As in not allowed in Deutschland? Nicht. :B It's quite OK. Electrically, you have two supplies of direct current into one (or multiple) storage devices. Practically speaking, if you get lucky, the two charging devices will both add current together and one won't drop immediately to float (although that will still be some additive current into the battery/s). I would guess, with a WFCO, it would never come out of float, or only briefly. That is from the history of their products reported on this Forum and others. I don't own one.

I do own a PD deckmount converter and it is still perfectly functional and 45 years old. Tell me about the electrical devices you own that are 45 yrs. old. Yeah, me too.

I'd suggest you buy this PD upgrade unit but I'm spending your money, lol. The nice thing about that unit is it comes with a remote so you can operate it into absorption mode when on the generator.

Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply. I came here to post an update and see I didn't repond. Glad to hear I can have multiple sources. Might carry an extra charger with us this trip to supplement the OEM converter.

We have coming shortly one of these: Xantrex PROsine 1800watt hardwired

It's used, but that's good, we don't have $1100 for an inverter ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'll post up some pics and stuff when it arrives.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
westend wrote:
I'd suggest one of two upgrades:
1)Buy a stand-alone charger and use it in conjunction with what you have. You won't need to turn off your current onboard converter.

How can you have TWO 12v chargers working at the same time? Thought that was verboten?

As in not allowed in Deutschland? Nicht. :B It's quite OK. Electrically, you have two supplies of direct current into one (or multiple) storage devices. Practically speaking, if you get lucky, the two charging devices will both add current together and one won't drop immediately to float (although that will still be some additive current into the battery/s). I would guess, with a WFCO, it would never come out of float, or only briefly. That is from the history of their products reported on this Forum and others. I don't own one.

I do own a PD deckmount converter and it is still perfectly functional and 45 years old. Tell me about the electrical devices you own that are 45 yrs. old. Yeah, me too.

I'd suggest you buy this PD upgrade unit but I'm spending your money, lol. The nice thing about that unit is it comes with a remote so you can operate it into absorption mode when on the generator.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
1)Buy a stand-alone charger and use it in conjunction with what you have. You won't need to turn off your current onboard converter.

How can you have TWO 12v chargers working at the same time? Thought that was verboten?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
1)Buy a stand-alone charger and use it in conjunction with what you have. You won't need to turn off your current onboard converter. It can plug in anywhere there is 120V.
2)Buy the PD drop-in charger that fits the space below your distribution panel. This is the most automated approach since you don't have to break out another charger. Just start the genset, plug in, and you're charging. Randy at Best converter.com can set you up.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
...and a pic of the 120v-only lights in the slide

Weight specs

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my actual converter and distribution panel.

WF-8955AN