Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
21 REPLIES 21

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
As a retired chemist: Permethrin is a type of Pyrethrin. Pyrethrins were first derived from a plant, a species of Chrysanthemum and have been in use since the year 1900 or so. Permethrin is a synthetic derivative that was first made in 1973. So that makes it's use in Viet Nam unlikely.

So what were they using as personal repellents for 'Nam era military personnel besides DEET and burning barrels?
Pyrethrum? And would Permethrin as a synthetic be a more readily available version of the organic compound?

I do know that newly issued military uniforms are infused w/ Permethrin at the factory to ensure even coverage.

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
As a retired chemist: Permethrin is a type of Pyrethrin. Pyrethrins were first derived from a plant, a species of Chrysanthemum and have been in use since the year 1900 or so. Permethrin is a synthetic derivative that was first made in 1973. So that makes it's use in Viet Nam unlikely.

That clears it up ! Thanks.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Superbumper

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Clay L wrote:
Back in 1963 in Vietnam the military issued us a Pyrethrin compound that was put on clothing and mosquito nets - not on skin. I believe it killed insects rather than repelling them. I wonder if it is still in use for that purpose?

Could it have been Permethrin? That's how it works and it is available from Amazon. Our Vet says that you can use it on dog fur too.

I Binged it and yes it appears to be the same thing - two spellings. HERE

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
2012Coleman,

The fan in your photo appears exactly like the oscillating, multi-speed, height adjustable one we have!

We sometimes pack it under the dinette seat to carry along with us in our motorhome on trips to move the air when sitting outside under the awning on a hot day .... OR to keep mosquitoes away when sitting outside or eating outside at a table.

We can even use this great fan when boondock camping out in the middle of nowhere, as our little 650 watt portable Honda generator can easily and very quietly power the fan using an extension cord with the genny sitting on the other side of the motorhome.
Great minds think alike! The image is just a google image - mine is black and has a remote control!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Clay L wrote:
Back in 1963 in Vietnam the military issued us a Pyrethrin compound that was put on clothing and mosquito nets - not on skin. I believe it killed insects rather than repelling them. I wonder if it is still in use for that purpose?

Sawyer's Permethrin Spray is pretty much the same stuff and yes it's still in use:

https://sawyer.com/maximize-effectiveness-permethrin-fabric-treatment/

I called them yesterday and found out it works for black flies as well. O happy day as a region I'll be camping at this summer will be chock a block w/ em.
You can buy it @ REI and maybe Cabela's too.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clay L wrote:

Could it have been Permethrin? That's how it works and it is available from Amazon. Our Vet says that you can use it on dog fur too.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Superbumper

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman,

The fan in your photo appears exactly like the oscillating, multi-speed, height adjustable one we have!

We sometimes pack it under the dinette seat to carry along with us in our motorhome on trips to move the air when sitting outside under the awning on a hot day .... OR to keep mosquitoes away when sitting outside or eating outside at a table.

We can even use this great fan when boondock camping out in the middle of nowhere, as our little 650 watt portable Honda generator can easily and very quietly power the fan using an extension cord with the genny sitting on the other side of the motorhome.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
the fan is a great tool for under the awning. we do that also and it sure works. we use the good spray for hiking etc ๐Ÿ™‚

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I camp a lot in Florida and enjoy sipping on some cold ones under the awning. This is all you need to keep mosquitoes away.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

It appears this one is resolved. ๐Ÿ™‚ Moving on....

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
thats true, but deet will kill you sooner or later.

So will life!
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
midnightsadie wrote:
thats true, but deet will kill you sooner or later.

?????

Read the label - don't drink it and you'll be fine.

I've been in Alaska for over 55 years using Deet as soon as I could get the stuff from military friends before it was readily available on the open market. If I hadn't used it, I would have died long ago from blood lose due to mosquitoes.......

Read the label - don't drink it and you'll be fine.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.