cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Baking muffins in rv oven for the first time...gasp!

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
I want them to come out not burnt and inedible. Actually i've never used my rv oven for anything before...a stove top cooker I am.

So do these ovens typically run hot/cold or any tips? I made diy muffin mix (gluten and dairy free) to bring and want those chocolate muffins to be wonderful.

Donna
26 REPLIES 26

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
One hint to find out a lot about your RV oven (I use mine all the time) is to take a flat sheet pan and cover with one layer of white bread slices put in the oven at 350. Put in an oven thermometer (this is essential in an RV oven)

Leave the bread for a few minutes until it starts to brown. Take it out and you will have a great Heat Map of your little oven and will know the hot side/spots.

To keep things from burning on the bottom I just put in a sheet of Aluminum foil bright side down on the solid metal divider shelf. this works every bit as well as the more expensive solutions and helps keep the oven clean too.

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
Before you spend the money for the stone try using two pans. We have been doing this for years. Just put one pan inside the other and put it in the oven. Ours come out perfect.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
matt7591 wrote:
The RV requires practice. You will need to monitor the muffins. You will need to presume that the first attempt will not be good. The size of the oven matters. A smaller one will be more unwieldy but if it's a bigger one in a larger RV it will be closer to a home unit. I like to have a thermometer in the oven as the temp scale is not precise.

For muffins, make sure it's on the rack as it will burn on the surface of the oven over the flame. If the recipe calls for 25 minutes, check it at 15 and 20.

The result of the muffins will also depend on how good your muffins are when you make 'em at home.

Thank you for the information. My RV oven is small, and as we do the majority of our cooking outdoors, we don't utilize the indoor oven much. However, as we get older and our needs change, I'd like start using it to bake some biscuits or warm up a casserole on occasion. I've been reading about this pizza stone thing on RV.net for years. Think it's time to finally give it a shot!

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
SwanInWA wrote:
This may be a silly question, but -- do you place the stone in the very bottom of the oven under the flame? If not, where?

In my oven there is an indentation at the bottom of the stove which fits my cheapo HD tile which serves as my pizza stone. It's just a heat sink and probably would work anywhere you put it.

I plan to do the HD tile as well, actually. Pizza stones are expensive and I really just want it for a heat diffuser. Appreciate the response -- THANK YOU!

Teri (the RV.netter)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

matt7591
Explorer
Explorer
The RV requires practice. You will need to monitor the muffins. You will need to presume that the first attempt will not be good. The size of the oven matters. A smaller one will be more unwieldy but if it's a bigger one in a larger RV it will be closer to a home unit. I like to have a thermometer in the oven as the temp scale is not precise.

For muffins, make sure it's on the rack as it will burn on the surface of the oven over the flame. If the recipe calls for 25 minutes, check it at 15 and 20.

The result of the muffins will also depend on how good your muffins are when you make 'em at home.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
SwanInWA wrote:
This may be a silly question, but -- do you place the stone in the very bottom of the oven under the flame? If not, where?

In my oven there is an indentation at the bottom of the stove which fits my cheapo HD tile which serves as my pizza stone. It's just a heat sink and probably would work anywhere you put it.
Kevin

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer

Teri (the RV.netter)

sharker6
Explorer
Explorer
That's what a Cracker Barrel is for...
2017 Keystone Cougar 29RES, 2008 F250 Diesel FX4

96Bounder30E
Explorer
Explorer
$1.98 glazed ceramic floor tile from Home depot makes my wife's cookies and biscuits GBD....Golden Brown and Delicious!
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
I use my round cast iron griddle under store bought pizza. Made difference

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
When we had an RV oven, we used a pizza stone. It did break but did not diminish the effectiveness of the pizza stone.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

turtlebd
Explorer
Explorer
Buy an oven thermometer to check your inside temperature. I've found mine runs a bit off from the dial set. I also use a pizza stone placed on the bottom of the oven. Place your pans on the regular oven rack, and switch halfway through. I use my oven quite often, but hate having to practically sit on the floor to reach in and light the pilot! Wish it had a push-button start! Good luck with your muffins!!

hilldude
Explorer
Explorer
mrquacker wrote:
Just a side question (I'm about to use the oven for the first time, too): Do you still use the wire rack for cooking or place the muffin pan directly on the pizza stone?
Use the wire rack.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Suitably sized unglazed tile is an inexpensive way to level the temp in any RV oven - pick one up at any Big Box. Never made biscuits in my oven so I can't help much with that.
Kevin