cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My new fishing rod holder

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer

I just returned from 6 weeks in the Keys so had a chance to test out my new rod holder.

As you will notice it is very similar to the sewer hose mods that many people do. The biggest differences are that mine is made out of 4" lightweight sewer drain pipe, not schedule 40 or fence post, so it is both light and inexpensive. This is a thin wall pipe, purchased at Lowes for about 11.00 ( 10 ft ). End caps were about 2.00. Before painting I sanded down both ends of the cut pipe so the caps would slide on /off easily. The hold on method is simply a 5" bolt with a wing nut.

This keeps my rods out of the way and not broken. I remove the reels and store them in a bag in a storage bin inside. On the end opposite the butt of the rods I have room for small stuff like a folding net.

The tube is fastened to the rear bumper with very large zip ties, rather than bolted or strapped, because it is light weight.

Now no more broken rod tips or rods. Pictures were taken while traveling so the holder is a bit dirty. Looks pretty good when cleaned up a bit.
26 REPLIES 26

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent job, I have one with a solid screw in plug and my brother used THIS.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Also, I thought about putting the holder on top of the bumper as someone suggested but I think it looks better under it ๐Ÿ™‚ Also, if I scrape off the holder my rear jacks will have to go first as they are just ahead of it and lower down. Guess time will tell...

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Some were concerned about my zip ties failing. I added 2 clamps to my rod holder. Will leave the zip ties on and replace them once a year or so just as a precaution.

Made the clamps out of thin galvanized pipe hanging material. Wrapped them with tape to protect the paint on the bumper. Bolted on with SS bolts at the top.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
I carry my Surf Rods/reels in a home made rack in the storage area. Reels are still connected to the rods but the rods are pulled apart in 2 or 3 sections.
Never had any damage.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
filrupmark wrote:
I hope you don't loose your rods pulling out of a gas station dragging it off.

X2

I think it would be far safer to attach your tube to the top of the rear bumper!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you don't loose your rods pulling out of a gas station dragging it off.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
IBcarguy wrote:
Gjac- do you put one rod in a tube or multiple rods in one tube? I can visualize having a row of small diameter tubes on the roof of a pass thru, each with a rod butt and reel sticking out. You might be on to something. You're right, it would be like a quick-draw when attacked.
That is exactly what I do, each rod inside an old Al tent pole with the reels sticking out. On my larger salt water rods I used 2 in Dia. PVC tubing.

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac- do you put one rod in a tube or multiple rods in one tube? I can visualize having a row of small diameter tubes on the roof of a pass thru, each with a rod butt and reel sticking out. You might be on to something. You're right, it would be like a quick-draw when attacked.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
IBcarguy wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
IBcarguy wrote:
I'd like to find a way to store fishing poles with the reels still attached to the pole, other than a rack.

How big are your reels? Lake and stream size or Ocean fishing. DW amd I plan on taking up fly fishing during retirement, will use another 5" vinyl fence post like we store our stinky slinky in.

Storing trout/bass rods is not really a problem but when spinning reels are attached to the rods it's not as easy. I guess I could always remove the reels but I like to keep everything attached including hooks/lures.
I store mine with the reels on inside a tube that the rod inserts into and the reels and but end stick outside of the tube. I tried just hanging them from hooks inside one of my pass thrus but the line would snag on another rod tip or hook. The small dia Al tube prevents this. I have two fly rods and two spinning rods stored this way and are ready to use, you never know when you might be attacked by a wild trout you want to be ready.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. My reels are all open faced spinning reels. Would take up a lot of space in a 4 or 5 inch tube, probably would not get one in. I always remove tackle after using so taking the reel off only takes a minute. Could not think of any way to neatly store them otherwise. I can easily get 6 rods in the 4 inch tube. Reels stored inside in cabinet. At home I store them on ceiling hooks with reels attached. But that is in a workshop. Don't think I want to try that in a TT. ๐Ÿ™‚

wrybread
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome!

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
IBcarguy wrote:
I'd like to find a way to store fishing poles with the reels still attached to the pole, other than a rack.

Hooks in the ceiling over the dinette will work if you don't mind a few holes.

Somehow I don't think my wife would be very excited about me hanging fishing poles from the ceiling above the dinette in her new 5th wheel.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
IBcarguy wrote:

Hooks in the ceiling over the dinette will work if you don't mind a few holes.

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
IBcarguy wrote:

How big are your reels? Lake and stream size or Ocean fishing. DW amd I plan on taking up fly fishing during retirement, will use another 5" vinyl fence post like we store our stinky slinky in.

Storing trout/bass rods is not really a problem but when spinning reels are attached to the rods it's not as easy. I guess I could always remove the reels but I like to keep everything attached including hooks/lures.