cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to accept payment for Travel Trailer

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will be putting my Travel Trailer up for sale soon (just bought a Class A). I have never sold something like this privately before. I was trying to trade it in on the Class A but they really gave me a low ball offer. How do must people except payment for selling large items? I know that certified checks now are easy to fake. Asking someone to give me 10K+ in cash seems unrealistic. I do have a Paypal account but then I lose 3%.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
44 REPLIES 44

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
I accept cash
Have them lay it right down next to your 45.

X2
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
fulltimedaniel wrote:
Ten Thousand Dollars is really not that much cash. Take cash for sure and make sure that your receipt is clear in this:

This unit is sold AS IS no warranties are expressed or implied

Be sure the VIN number of the unit is noted.

You do not want a "certified" Check. If you accept a check it should be a "Cashiers Check" This means essentially that a "Cash" transaction took place at the buyers bank to produce that check. IE. it cannot bounce.

This^^

In MN the title card have a corner on them that you as the seller tear off keep at the time of sale. Make sure you keep that corner. And, now MN also has a web site you go to that tells the state that you sold this vehicle. Make sure you do this also.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
I accept cash
Have them lay it right down next to your 45.
So big a world, so little time to see.

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
golf_bears wrote:
schlep1967 has it right. Wire transfers are not reversible unless you agree. Wire transfer from their bank to your bank into a dummy account setup by your bank. They transfer to your dummy account at your bank. Your bank transfers to your real account. This way the buyer has no clue to your real account number. Once your bank tells you your money is safe, sign the title and hand it over to the buyer.

No "fuss no muss" for either of you.

This is patently false. Wire transfers can be pulled back. Even if the receiver wire transfers it to another bank it can still be pulled.

The only way to subvert it is to take the money out in cash and deposit it in another bank unknown to the first.

I have been down this road with the sale of my hotel where more than 100K$ deposit was pulled back because the buyer was unhappy that my bank would not give him a POS system. It did not need my permission and came as a surprise to me. I had a long and hard discussion with the bank manager. The next time that transfer was made I was at the bank, withdrew the money and took it down the street and opened a new account with it. That is the ONLY way you can avoid a pullback.

Please be careful what you are telling people. There are NO "Dummy" accounts involved in this procedure. It is traceable and transparent. This is a world wide system that transfers hundreds of millions/billions of dollars everyday.

And in many cases there are fees on BOTH sides of the transfer.

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
I like transferring (wiring) funds, financial institution to my financial institution, even if it's just across town...I pay the transfer fees. If it's cash, I'll meet em at my bank. Once that's complete, next stop is the DMV office where I sign the title over after the buyer pays the sales tax, registers the unit (if it's Texas) and both parties sign a statement of the unit's condition. Then the buyer gets a Bill of Sale. If the buyer's demands get too crazy, I'll back out of the deal. Very few transactions test my limits except property and it must be done in a public place, My way or No way.
I'm up front with this process if the buyer sounds interested, but before he commits.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
moresmoke wrote:
Buyer get the vehicle and a bill of sale. In my state (ND) I have 30 days to provide the buyer with the title. Title goes in mail after check has cleared. Insurance stays on until after I sign title. If I haven't signed title, theft is theft.

I would be quite leery of buying from anyone who held on to the title after I had tendered payment. Your scheme is safe for you (you don't need to trust the buyer) but not for them (they need to trust you).

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
I did this last year. Cash and my bank ran it through there counter and check it I never deposit just a service from the bank did the whole transaction at bank.
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Go to the buyers bank with him and have them give you a cashiers check. You need to be there to witness them printing out the check.

X2. Same as cash doing it this way. Even safer since you don't have to worry about counterfeit currency.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
when I sold mine I got cash on the barre head and when I bought my other used TT I met them at the bank with a cashier's check from my bank. their bank verified the check and gave me the title.

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Buyer get the vehicle and a bill of sale. In my state (ND) I have 30 days to provide the buyer with the title. Title goes in mail after check has cleared. Insurance stays on until after I sign title. If I haven't signed title, theft is theft.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
tdiller wrote:
Cash is great but now with the IRS reporting rules what happens when you attempt to deposit that $10,000 cash in your account? Yep you will draw lots of attention and have to 'splain yourself. Now days it'd be a wire transfer buyers bank to mine. May still have some splaining to do but it'll be a lot easier.

If you are a business cash deposits are not that bad but an individual walking in and depositing large amounts of cash raises eyebrows.
It is not really that big of a deal for legit people.
And yes I have filled out the paper work as I seem to have a cash transaction every year or so exceeding 10k.
Once I had to take 32k (cash) to deposit for my company when the people showed up with cash to pay a debt :R

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a purchasers of a used motorhome, I can tell you that we took a certified cashiers check from our credit union to make the purchase. I would do the transaction at the buyers bank, although -- you do know that now days there are banks that do not have any sticks and bricks locations. Everything is done online. In that case I would have the money wired from their bank to yours, you could meet up at your bank, verify the funds are there and then give him the appropriate paperwork and bill of sale (you keep a copy too). If local sale you could go to DMV to complete.

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
When we sold our Suburban we went to the lobby of our bank and exchanged the cash and took care of paperwork there. We explained to the staff what was going on and deposited the money on the spot. It worked out great except for the fact that I still miss that gas suckin truck with the 8.1.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer
Cash is great but now with the IRS reporting rules what happens when you attempt to deposit that $10,000 cash in your account? Yep you will draw lots of attention and have to 'splain yourself. Now days it'd be a wire transfer buyers bank to mine. May still have some splaining to do but it'll be a lot easier.

If you are a business cash deposits are not that bad but an individual walking in and depositing large amounts of cash raises eyebrows.