Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The old NEW vs USED debate

PatrickJM
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Everyone!

So I know this topic has been discussed like crazy and have been reading non-stop. I'm looking to purchase our first motorhome and am just looking for any advice from the more experienced here.

We have are deciding between 2 identical Georgetown units - 1 new and 1 used with 28,000 miles on it. everything else is the same including the 2016 model year.

MSRP is 146k on this unit but are able to purchase this for 95k brand new and 85k used.

I get the depreciation and warranty thing but at what point (in your opinion) but where do you draw the line? Is 10k price difference enough to offset the 28,000 miles and spent warranty? What would you do? What am I not thinking about? TIA
44 REPLIES 44

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
Because the price between new and used is so close I would think it would be a no brainer to buy the new one. Full warranty on both the chassis and house. Like someone said the Ford warranty will run out at 36000 miles on the used unit with 28000 miles on it. I think you will be sorry down the road if you buy the used one just to save a few bucks..

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an RV depreciation schedule for your interest. At 6 years it's worth 50% of it's new value. Year 1-18% 2-10% 3-7% 4-6% 5-6% 6-5% 7-5% 8-4% 9-4% 10-3% 11-3% 12-2% 13-2% For the age of any RV your looking at, just add up the percentages and go from there.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
people always talk used vs new but here is a way to think on it. Everything wears out at some time and the cost to fix or replace is mostly the cost of the new one you would have purchased in the original purchase. So, the costs of ownership goes up as the unit ages. That is whether or not you purchased it new or not. If it was purchased new then you have a small window where you do not have much in the way of costs but you will still need to replace batteries and tires and belts and hoses and other stuff as it wears out.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

jlud
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the corners of the roof. You can find pictures I posted on the forest river forums. Basically the edges of the room where they meet the sides are different colors and they react to sun differently...assume because of temps or maybe just way made. Either way they twist or warp and you can see flat spots toward the front of the unit mostly. Instead of a smooth curve you will see flat spots.

PatrickJM
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
That' WAY too much money for a used RV. For the 10,000 difference I would buy new. However, I would never buy new! You need to get the seller of the used unit to come down to reality or move on and pass on both choices.

But...what if the price of the new coach was low enough that it was similar to what 2 year old coaches are selling for of the exact same model?? Part of the problem is that I think people overpay in the first place. Right now I'm just under 40% off msrp. New they seem to be selling around 110-115k. 2 year old units are going around 90k

I do agree the sweet spot is about 3 years old overall.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
That' WAY too much money for a used RV. For the 10,000 difference I would buy new. However, I would never buy new! You need to get the seller of the used unit to come down to reality or move on and pass on both choices.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
for a large family you can always tow a bunk room trailer, we did when the kids were living at home . 🙂
Lots of ways to skin this cat with quality products.
I'd never ever suffer first year depreciation. even at a dealer discount.

find a 2 to 3 year old coach like you wan, see what they are selling for.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

PatrickJM
Explorer
Explorer
jlud wrote:
I bought a 364TS 2016 for about that price loaded up with washer/dryer combo and about all but paint for 95k, same as OP. I would get the new one unless rear bed slide has been fixed as they bounce and check radius caps for warping. They upgraded ours to their diesel unit radius caps for warranty. Think most are going to warp like that.

We love our 364....awesome for a family. Can't find anything similar for a layout with 2 full baths. RV direct does have some leftover Vista 35Bs for 95k.

It's such a unique layout! I'm glad you are having a good experience with it. Can you tell me what you mean by "check the radius" and "cap warping"? Thanks

jlud
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 364TS 2016 for about that price loaded up with washer/dryer combo and about all but paint for 95k, same as OP. I would get the new one unless rear bed slide has been fixed as they bounce and check radius caps for warping. They upgraded ours to their diesel unit radius caps for warranty. Think most are going to warp like that.

We love our 364....awesome for a family. Can't find anything similar for a layout with 2 full baths. RV direct does have some leftover Vista 35Bs for 95k.

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
Isaac-1 wrote:
I suspect the couple that traded it in got a MUCH lower price than the dealer is asking for it now.

When we traded in our 5th wheel thy gave us 8k, relisted it on the web page for 14k, even if the were talked down a few thousand they still make a profit of 4k on a used unit......

BTW the DW said we could not turn our used one in without cleaning front to back inside and out, so the dealer in this case didn't even have to do anything to the unit just put it in the lot with a for sale sign on it an call it good, now thats service LOL

PatrickJM
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
time2roll wrote:
If by some magic you can know the RV will keep you happy for a decade or more then get the new one.
If there is any chance you will change your mind in a few years go used.

I think that's "usually" good advice but in this case, unless they get a screaming deal on the used one, it would be a mistake. That unit has 28k miles on it, which means in a few years it will have the kind of mileage no one will want unless they too get a screaming deal. That mileage is a huge turnoff

definitely. I wouldn't even consider new if I wasn't getting it at dealer invoice price. I see most used are going for very similar.

It's just a unique situation so appreciate all of the input

PatrickJM
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Effy wrote:
I always find it funny that despite asking very specific questions about a very specific model and year, folks still offer the recommendation to buy a unit like they have that is completely different in every way including price.

Why not offer a different opinion, of a much better coach for the same money. We had a low end coach, never again.
JMHO but when he tries to turn the Georgetown around next year, he won't get half of the price he paid.
The Newmar and other higher end coaches are pretty stable in value in that price range.

The sad truth is they all loose their value. The diesels I've seen typically start in the 200's and go way up from there. In that case this unit is 10 years old and lost over halkf its value. I think either way you're in the same boat. Would definitely love to buy a high end unit though.

For me I have a big family and young kids. We sleep a lot of people 7-9 regularly so this unit seems to be a good fit. I see your points about the lower end unit but it's still a luxary item.

FlintlockCG
Explorer
Explorer
If I was 100% sure that I wanted an entry level coach with this floorplan, I would offer $65k for the used one.

If was going going to spend $90k I would see what model of Newmar I can buy with that.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
If by some magic you can know the RV will keep you happy for a decade or more then get the new one.
If there is any chance you will change your mind in a few years go used.

I think that's "usually" good advice but in this case, unless they get a screaming deal on the used one, it would be a mistake. That unit has 28k miles on it, which means in a few years it will have the kind of mileage no one will want unless they too get a screaming deal. That mileage is a huge turnoff
2013 ACE 29.2