cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anybody jump to the New UNLIMITED data cell phone plans

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
So is anyone planning on jumping on one of these ? Prices look "too good to be true". I know some of them "throttle" after some limit.

What are your plans ?

Edited subject title to clarify
44 REPLIES 44

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
I have Verizon xxl plan, 24 gigs. Cannot seem to find info about a data use while in Canada. Do not want to incur any roaming fees....

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi catkins,

Any new t-mobile plan from Dec 16 on includes unlimited voice, text, and data, in USA, Canada, and Mexico. If you are on an older plan you would have to move to the new plan.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
catkins wrote:
Pianotuna - I read unlimited text and calls while in Canada. With my plan.Very different from being able to use data up there. Seems to me I cannot use my data to surf and send pics while up there without major added fees. Still seeking clarification......

I know when we went up to Canada on Cricket (at&t) we had no issues. In fact I blew through 130gb of data up there on their unlimited plan streaming US tv while we were up there for 2 months.

Unlike Tmobile which only gets edge like speeds we had LTE.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Pianotuna - I read unlimited text and calls while in Canada. With my plan.Very different from being able to use data up there. Seems to me I cannot use my data to surf and send pics while up there without major added fees. Still seeking clarification......

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
azjeffh wrote:

Unless I'm missing something, it appears I'm paying less. Are you receiving a loyalty discount?
I don't know. HTC one M8, iPhone 5, xxl plan (plus regular 'bonus' data) = $177
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
That is specifically why I purchased it. It has unlimited data in Canada.

whjco wrote:
Please check and make sure that your plan includes Canada. I handle the WIFI for our fleet of charter buses and we've had some huge international roaming charges when our buses connected to a Canadian cell tower. One bus was in Detroit and the other was in Buffalo.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

I jumped to T-mobile in Dec of 2016. I'll be posting a review of how it works in Canada in about a week.

Please check and make sure that your plan includes Canada. I handle the WIFI for our fleet of charter buses and we've had some huge international roaming charges when our buses connected to a Canadian cell tower. One bus was in Detroit and the other was in Buffalo.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

MrWizard
that just matches what several members have said
that cable ISP's allow a faster data thru put from 'test' sites so they look good
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm noticing an anomaly.

If I connect via wifi to the local cable company I get a speed test of 9.83 down,1.01 up, and ping of 11.

If I connect using t-mobile I get 0.48 down, 0.48 up and ping of 190.

However, if I go to You Tube the cable ends up buffering--and the t-mobile doesn't.

I'm not complaining--but it flies in the face of what I'd expect.

The You Tube is this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM2XCnAo_fI
Regards, Don

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
1.24GB of data that is supposed to last you until 8/2018! REALLY? 1.24 GB won't last me until 8pm much less 2018.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
my phone says it has 1.24 GB Data remaining / 1324 minutes remaining / 1412 texts remaining. And I'm good until 8/21/2018.
You're not good on data!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
My plan is Xxl...24 gig plus bonuses 2 phones for about $175. I've been with them for years..perhaps that makes a difference. That's a lot lower rate for much more data than I used to get.

Like you I have the XL plan (16GB + 4G bonus = 20G total) for two phones and a jetpack and with the purchase of an SE phone (extra $20/mo) and equip protection on the jetpack ($9) my mo bill with my military discount is $165. Real advantage is I can temporarily inc my data for just one mo (about $20/mo per 8GB) and there is no 10GB ceiling on data like the new plan. I have no other internet access except for my Verizon plan so I'm totally mobile which meets our fairly big travel schedule (abt 3 to 4 months traveling each year).

W/O the purchase of the SE phone and jetpack equip protection my mo bill for 2 phones and a jetpack would be right around $135.

The way they calculate mo usage for the last several mo with my carryover data I have had around 28GB per mo available for use and I'm currently using around 11 to 12GB total each month almost all of that data via the jetpack.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
We pay $100.00 for a minutes card that is good for (triple minutes)400 / 1200 minutes and for one year. We average buying a new minutes card for each phone, once a year.h
What about data?

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, I'm not sure how that works, but right now my phone says it has 1.24 GB Data remaining / 1324 minutes remaining / 1412 texts remaining. And I'm good until 8/21/2018. This is all shared so if I use it all up in minutes the rest will be empty. At least that's the way I understand it.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
My plan is Xxl...24 gig plus bonuses 2 phones for about $175. I've been with them for years..perhaps that makes a difference. That's a lot lower rate for much more data than I used to get.

Unless I'm missing something, it appears I'm paying less. Are you receiving a loyalty discount?
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA