Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 F-350 DRW 0-60 testing

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
TFLtruck.com

Looks like they achieved 8.02 seconds at a mile above sea level. More videos to follow for the other brands. I can't wait to see if the Chevy is similar considering how close they are in power. These are some pretty remarkable trucks today.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2016 Ford Expedition, 3.5 Eco-Boost
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP
108 REPLIES 108

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
Torque management plays a big part in real-world 0-60 times, even if you powerbrake the start.
The reasons for using a particular engine brand in medium-duty trucks has more to do with corporate politics and business deals than the superiority, or perceived superiority of the engine.

If you want your truck faster, you can make it faster. If you follow the Diesel Truck Power Challenge and other competitions, you'll find the Cummins generally being the top dog.

I agree, if Dodge didn't have the Cummins, I doubt Ram trucks would even exist today. Remember when they didn't have it? They virtually didn't exist. No one bought them except some fleets because they were cheap.

I have a friend who owns a tow company. He's been running a fleet of F-350s for 30 or 40 years. He used to buy diesels until he had a new chassis on order that was taking too long, he needed one NOW, and took a gas chassis the dealer had in stock. It proved to be the most economical overall, even with the lower gas mileage. That was in 1989 and he still buys new gas Fords because they are extremely reliable and have a lower overall own/operate cost.

Personally, I'd like a Ford with a Cummins and an Allison trans!

You can build such a thing, there are even kits to put Cummins into Fords, and you can put an Allison on the Cummins. But it's not the sort of thing you just pick out on the dealer's lot and sign on the dotted line for.

I'd have to disagree on the Allison transmission. I firmly believe Ford's 6R140 is the best transmission on the market. It doesn't cost extra like the Aisin and it can handle more power than the Allison and 68RFE. Additionally its reliability and reputation has been phenomenal.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2016 Ford Expedition, 3.5 Eco-Boost
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Torque management plays a big part in real-world 0-60 times, even if you powerbrake the start.
The reasons for using a particular engine brand in medium-duty trucks has more to do with corporate politics and business deals than the superiority, or perceived superiority of the engine.

If you want your truck faster, you can make it faster. If you follow the Diesel Truck Power Challenge and other competitions, you'll find the Cummins generally being the top dog.

I agree, if Dodge didn't have the Cummins, I doubt Ram trucks would even exist today. Remember when they didn't have it? They virtually didn't exist. No one bought them except some fleets because they were cheap.

I have a friend who owns a tow company. He's been running a fleet of F-350s for 30 or 40 years. He used to buy diesels until he had a new chassis on order that was taking too long, he needed one NOW, and took a gas chassis the dealer had in stock. It proved to be the most economical overall, even with the lower gas mileage. That was in 1989 and he still buys new gas Fords because they are extremely reliable and have a lower overall own/operate cost.

Personally, I'd like a Ford with a Cummins and an Allison trans!

You can build such a thing, there are even kits to put Cummins into Fords, and you can put an Allison on the Cummins. But it's not the sort of thing you just pick out on the dealer's lot and sign on the dotted line for.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blt2ski wrote:
are we done yet?

I find it very funny that the Ram Mafia has to go on the attack mode.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

blt2ski
are we done yet?
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Fish, all I can say is :S
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
blofgren wrote:

How so? Are you insinuating that I'm lying?

I know our fleet manager very well and know exactly the reason we are going with V-10's now. And there must be a good reason Disneyland and Uhaul are doing the same......

He most likely wears his hat with the bill to the back! Enough said!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
blofgren wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
I agree that if the Cummins was available in the Ford there is some who would choose it over the Powerstroke. I might....If I were to choose the Cummins it would be because I suspect it would increase the resale value of the truck. I would rather drive a Powerstroke equipped truck.....It's more powerful, quieter and I believe it has the best exhaust brake.

Why do you suspect the Cummins would increase the resale value of the truck?

A Cummins equipped Ford would be desired by both Ram and Ford people. The Powerstroke equipped Ford would have a smaller market.

Ford dropped the cummins in their medium duty trucks for a reason and their medium duty sales are on the rise with the 6.7 PSD.

Link

Most people I talk to prefer the power of the Power Strokes and Duramax over the cummins. I wouldn't be surprised that the cummins update in '19 will be an engine exclusive to ram in order to compete with the big 2.

Anyways I'm looking forward to the Ike Gauntlet tow!

Hmmmm, I was at Disneyland last week and they have a huge fleet of F-550 and F-650 shuttle buses. NONE of them were the 6.7 PSD but rather the trusty V10. I have noticed that most of the newer Ford commercial trucks around here (including Uhaul F-650's) are also V-10's. The city I work at is the same.

It seems most fleets are not taking any more chances of huge repair bills and downtime with Ford diesels.

You remind me of fake news

I know our fleet manager very well and know exactly the reason we are going with V-10's now. And there must be a good reason Disneyland and Uhaul are doing the same......

Uhaul as far as I can remember ran gas trucks... And what does your comment have to do with the 0-60 testing? Yes... Fake news!

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
blofgren wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
I agree that if the Cummins was available in the Ford there is some who would choose it over the Powerstroke. I might....If I were to choose the Cummins it would be because I suspect it would increase the resale value of the truck. I would rather drive a Powerstroke equipped truck.....It's more powerful, quieter and I believe it has the best exhaust brake.

A Cummins equipped Ford would be desired by both Ram and Ford people. The Powerstroke equipped Ford would have a smaller market.

Ford dropped the cummins in their medium duty trucks for a reason and their medium duty sales are on the rise with the 6.7 PSD.

Link

Most people I talk to prefer the power of the Power Strokes and Duramax over the cummins. I wouldn't be surprised that the cummins update in '19 will be an engine exclusive to ram in order to compete with the big 2.

Hmmmm, I was at Disneyland last week and they have a huge fleet of F-550 and F-650 shuttle buses. NONE of them were the 6.7 PSD but rather the trusty V10. I have noticed that most of the newer Ford commercial trucks around here (including Uhaul F-650's) are also V-10's. The city I work at is the same.

It seems most fleets are not taking any more chances of huge repair bills and downtime with Ford diesels.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:

And you sound like a Ford salesman!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
blofgren wrote:
4x4ord wrote:

Link

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
blofgren wrote:
4x4ord wrote:

Link

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
patriotgrunt wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
camp-n-family wrote:

So if they buy Rams for the Cummins and GMs for handling and good looks, what do they buy Fords for?

Blind faith!

Perhaps "Made in the USA" by an American company has something to do with it.

Link

Cool video! Thanks...I love truck VINs that start with 1. :W

It's really impressive to see these trucks built in the USA. :B

As they should be!

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

My take away from your comment is you're a bit butt hurt and it shows. :W

Nope, RAM seat is as comfortable as can be! To hot, I push seat cool button, to cold and I push the warmer button. Truck automagically does that for me in extreme weather situations.

Chris

LOL... I bet it gets real hot real fast when your getting dusted empty or pulling! :B

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
blofgren wrote:
4x4ord wrote:

Link