cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Samsung Galaxy Tablet SM-T210R to read eBooks

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I have been given a Samsung Galaxy Tablet SM-T210R. I want to use it to read eBooks. I have 100,s of eBooks on my old kindle. When I connected the tablet to my PCs USB port my PC does not see the tablet.

I know nothing about a Tablet. Can someone point me into the right direction?

I am going to search the web to see if I can find a users manual for the Galaxy.

Do I need a different application like calibre to organize my books?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
17 REPLIES 17

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
That is what DRM (digital rights management) is all about. Copy protection.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
You might have better luck if you use free Calibre and convert the books to Mobi or pdf format before transferring them. This would allow you to use the Kindle app to read the books. To me, it's a little more straight forward than Overdrive.
This won't work if the eBooks are copy protected.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I love to read but I really have no interest in keeping a book once I have read it. That's the beauty of a library. If I want to read it again in the future, I'll just check it out again. I do not have a single ebook. I see absolutely no reason to collect ebooks when I can check them out from the library by the dozen.

I hope I live to see the day that there are state-wide elibraries or even a national elibrary that would contain every book ever published and have them available for lending.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
I have Overdrive and am signed up with a large county library in Florida. I just log in and download 2-3 at a time, put one or two on hold, then go about my reading. I read about 2 books/week and have not bought a book yet - I'd go broke.

There are programs out there, for purchase, that will remove the DRM and allow you to keep the books as long as you like. I wouldn't advocate this because would not be honest.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
You might have better luck if you use free Calibre and convert the books to Mobi or pdf format before transferring them. This would allow you to use the Kindle app to read the books. To me, it's a little more straight forward than Overdrive.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
As it has WiFi connections, download and use Overdrive to get and read all the books you wnat to, completely Free! and doan't have to worry about keeping up with them, or storing them,. Just download and read, from anywhere you have internet access, even McDonalds, and they return to the lbrary free.
All you need is a library card!

This is what I do on my Samsung small tablet. I have a Verizon MiFi and the tablet is tuned to it.

I full time and really enjoy reading so I needed a solution once I hit the road.

I have Overdrive and am signed up with a large county library in Florida. I just log in and download 2-3 at a time, put one or two on hold, then go about my reading. I read about 2 books/week and have not bought a book yet - I'd go broke.

* Highly recommend the 'Longmire' series by Craig Johnson !

Tiger02
Explorer
Explorer
Like Tom M said you need the Amazon Kindle app from the Google Play store. Then log in to your account and all your books should be available to you in your library to download as needed.
2006 Keystone Outback Sydney 30 FRKS

1997 Ford F350 Auto, 4.10LS Axle, 160,000 Miles, Crew Cab with DRW.

US Army 1984-2016.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
If you are using the Kindle app on your computer, the books may be copy protected. You should be able to install the Kindle app on your tablet. Go to Google Play and search for Kindle.

I use FBReader on my Samsung phone. This works for books that are not copy protected.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Fizz wrote:
TenOC wrote:

The PC now see the Tablet. I have moved a few books to a folder on the Tablet, but the books will not open. Now I need an application to open the eBooks.

Any suggestions? . . :h

Did you buy these books for the Kindle.
If so they might be copy protected and registered to that tablet only.
The curse of ebooks, hence all the piracy.

I can open the eBooks on my Laptop with no problems so it is not a copy protected problem
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:

The PC now see the Tablet. I have moved a few books to a folder on the Tablet, but the books will not open. Now I need an application to open the eBooks.

Did you buy these books for the Kindle.
If so they might be copy protected and registered to that tablet only.
The curse of ebooks, hence all the piracy.

MrWizard
'cool reader' was mentioned and android has a kindle reader app

i went to see what app i'm using, and the tablet battery is dead

forgot to charge it last night .. sheesh

I have 'All Reader' om my tablet
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
ksg5000 wrote:
Try another USB port - reboot both the computer and the tablet.

Travel Photos

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
To all you Calibre users.

You can use the Connect/Share button at the top to set up a server, easy peasy.
It gives you an IP address you enter in any browser on any tablet or PC using the same WiFi router.

It lets you browse and download to your tablet.
Most excellent with iPads to get around all that iTunes nonsense

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Try another USB port - reboot both the computer and the tablet.
Kevin