cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curbside or Streetside Kitchen?

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
As I am beginning to narrow down floorplans for my full-time MH, I see lots of Class A's have kitchen on Curbside. Seems to me that having view blocked on a large portion of that wall would be at cross purposed with looking out your windows.

those of you with the kitchen on curbside, do you find you miss looking out at your "own" patio? Do you enjoy looking out the windows at your neighbors (or your sewer hookup)?

I really think I would much prefer having kitchen on streetside (driver's side) and more windows on curbside/patio side. Is this something that is an issue?

I plan to full-time for a number of years. Right now, I prefer more rustic state park like sites, but know some places that may not be an option. Either way, wouldn't you want your best view from LR/DR to be out across your own patio?
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS
28 REPLIES 28

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I don't care what side the kitchen is on as long as my dinette over looks MY patio.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mile High wrote:
Gjac wrote:
More important to me is that the refer is not in the slide because of the added fans needed to vent the cooling units. If you dry camp a lot these use battery power.
Is that because they have to vent out the side instead of up through the roof?
Yes, you get a better vent/air flow straight up.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
As I am beginning to narrow down floorplans for my full-time MH, I see lots of Class A's have kitchen on Curbside. Seems to me that having view blocked on a large portion of that wall would be at cross purposed with looking out your windows.

those of you with the kitchen on curbside, do you find you miss looking out at your "own" patio? Do you enjoy looking out the windows at your neighbors (or your sewer hookup)?

I really think I would much prefer having kitchen on streetside (driver's side) and more windows on curbside/patio side. Is this something that is an issue?

I plan to full-time for a number of years. Right now, I prefer more rustic state park like sites, but know some places that may not be an option. Either way, wouldn't you want your best view from LR/DR to be out across your own patio?

Preferences will vary as always and most likely what started all this, was when opposing living area slides were quite rare and the manufactures didn't want to go the extra for having the utilities in the slide. Hence, a single slide was always on the driver's side and the galley, along with an amidships entry door was on the passenger side.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
More important to me is that the refer is not in the slide because of the added fans needed to vent the cooling units. If you dry camp a lot these use battery power.
Is that because they have to vent out the side instead of up through the roof?
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hear what you are saying, my dinette is on the passenger side with a large window and can look out into the camping area. The sink and stove on the drivers side. I don't see many newer MH's in the 30 -34 ft range with this layout. Most of the ones I am looking at are reversed. More important to me is that the refer is not in the slide because of the added fans needed to vent the cooling units. If you dry camp a lot these use battery power.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
Most of what I've seen, have the galley on the passenger side and there must be a reason for that. It's also our preference, if there is indeed one.
We'd rather sit at the dinette and look out the window at our neighbors front door, given the choice, although we've been in some CG's that had reverse sites.

Interesting you say that - we looked at a 2012 Revolution that had the galley on the street side and dinette on the curb side and the salesman was quick to point out that was the preferred design because the dinette looked out on the patio. To me, the advantages is the curb side is your campsite view on any kind of pullout campsite, whereas the street side is the road.

Just means everyone has their own reasons for their preferences.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Most of what I've seen, have the galley on the passenger side and there must be a reason for that. It's also our preference, if there is indeed one.
We'd rather sit at the dinette and look out the window at our neighbors front door, given the choice, although we've been in some CG's that had reverse sites.
Rigs with just one living area slide most always have the galley on the passenger side, so as not to have the electrics and plumbing, going in an out all the time.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
For some, this may not matter, but keep in mind the longer you are in the RV, like a full-timer is, it is home. You do not stay outside most of the time like you do when you are on vacation or spending a weekend. There are also periods of time that the weather is not conducive to being outside. You then are inside and appreciate a better view.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our kitchen is curbside and not an issue. If you look at the picture of our coach below, you'll see the large window up front. That's behind the couch. We have the same windows on the driver's side. The kitchen is toward the rear, see the smaller window? The fridge and dinette are on the driver's side. As Mr. Mark said, the best view is out the front.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy, thanks for mentioning the safety during driving situation. I had never thought of that. I currently have a TT.. and have driven a Class C a good bit, I used mirrors and rear view camera. Never thought about seeing out that side while driving. oh yeah, it had a curbside kitchen, so seeing out wasn't an option.

for those that have mentioned the floor, I will look at that. I haven't gone in any of the floorplans I am leaning towards, just know that the ones I was in that had curbside kitchen felt closed in to me, especially those with center living room and entertainment center.

I am looking at gas MH's in the 36-38 ft range and hope to find something a couple of years old. Right now my favored floorplans are Georgetown 378TS, Thor Challenger 37KT, and Coachmen Encounter 36KS. I am hoping to go sit in some soon, just have to travel several hundred miles to see any of them.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

petrel
Explorer
Explorer
wannavolunteerFT wrote:

You raise a good point. I'd definitely like a bigger window on the curb side. If you take a peek at some of the bus conversions, they make a real effort to put things above or below the windows to free up as much view as possible. That will be our goal when we re-do our layout.
43' Renegade/Coronado '06
2017 F450
2001 Ford Excursion PSD
1997 F350 Crew Cab PSD

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure why but the slide that goes out the furthest is always on the driver side. That makes for more room for the dinette and the chairs. Which side would not be a dealbreaker for me.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
this was posted in class a motorhomes and a lot of the comments are about trailers. In a motorhome it does matter since you want/need visibility to the right side while driving. my class As with the curbside kitchen had virtually no right side visibility. in a trailer it is not a "safety" issue.
bumpy

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
Our kitchen is on the driver's side with the couch behind the drivers seat. We have tile in the kitchen area and carpet in front of the couch. Our table and chairs are on the curbside, our Fridge is towards the rear, with our J Lounge behind the co-pilots seat. Our two windows are very large on the curbside giving us a good view or our site vs.looking at our neighbors site. Our previous TT had the same floor plan with with kitchen on drivers side and booth on the curbside.

This is our preference in floor plans.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer