cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

purchasing getting closer

chefalan1
Explorer
Explorer
Purchasing time frame and retiring much closer. Have looked at all recommended models. Previous Allegro gas owner 10 yrs. Question on a unit, 2002 Monaco Windsor 40pbt, 3 slides, usual equipment plus more, 73000 miles,looks great but can be from hd photos. Floor plan extremely acceptable. unit priced at $57,900, in the middle of nada value. Can the extremely knowledgable readers on this site help me in entertaining this could be a good unit to purchase with proper inspections. I am looking for knowledge and any experience on this type ov rv. Thanks in advance for your help. ChefAlan looking to go.
11 REPLIES 11

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
chefalan1 wrote:
Thanks for your returns. Couple of questions that I've seen in other places. 1. When responders refer to "stashes" or others say substantial accounts, in numbers, what does this mean? 5,10,15,20 grand for emergency needs. I believe in this but want experienced rvers for realistic amounts for planning. 2. As I have stated, we owned a 30' gasser for weekend, vacation and motorcycle racing 8 months of the year. Only traveled over the Smokies and towing. My question, numerous times people have said if not full timing get a gasser, I don't understand this if we really like diesel floorplans, no center entry door, larger kitchen, ride/noise level comfort, just plain bigger space. We plan to travel a month at once at least 4-6 times a year. Diesels just read and look like pure pleasure as long as one buys/inspects correctly. As stated, getting closer really brings up many concerns. If applicable to any unit, we will purchase a warranty. There is nothing like educated opinions from knowledgable people on a subject. The unit I referred to originally is on an R8 chassis, per internet sources. Thanks to all.

With DP's the overall cost of ownership is going to be more, so some can't justify it, unless it's all you have for a home. Others can well afford it, could care less and why you can find so many high end units with very low miles.
As for backup bucks, this can vary widely as some do most work themselves and others do next to nothing. Still one can be caught out there on the road in a situation that he can't handle, however rare that might be.
I mean if you should live in FL and throw a rod through the block in CA, what then? Some just write the check and move on. Some buy extended warranties, but again they cost money and are only good for a few years, while paying deductibles and doing battle with them. Then what, buy another? Soon you'll have that new engine paid for!
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
chefalan1 wrote:
Thanks for your returns. Couple of questions that I've seen in other places. 1. When responders refer to "stashes" or others say substantial accounts, in numbers, what does this mean? 5,10,15,20 grand for emergency needs. I believe in this but want experienced rvers for realistic amounts for planning. 2. As I have stated, we owned a 30' gasser for weekend, vacation and motorcycle racing 8 months of the year. Only traveled over the Smokies and towing. My question, numerous times people have said if not full timing get a gasser, I don't understand this if we really like diesel floorplans, no center entry door, larger kitchen, ride/noise level comfort, just plain bigger space. We plan to travel a month at once at least 4-6 times a year. Diesels just read and look like pure pleasure as long as one buys/inspects correctly. As stated, getting closer really brings up many concerns. If applicable to any unit, we will purchase a warranty. There is nothing like educated opinions from knowledgable people on a subject. The unit I referred to originally is on an R8 chassis, per internet sources. Thanks to all.

I can only tell you what we have spent on fixing things on a used DP over the past 4 years of ownership. Our used DP is considered a higher end rig built by a company that had a reputation for excellent build quality. For repairs/replacement of things that failed, broke or malfunctioned we spent $12,112 or approximately $3,000 per year. This does not include money spent for routine maintenance, upgrades like some new furniture, light fixtures, etc. or fixing things that we broke (like a smashed exterior compartment door). Also, we bought an extended service plan which paid for several repairs like a new inverter, new roof AC unit, new clothes dryer, new microwave, less our deductible of $200 per covered repair.

Owning any motorhome is not a low cost proposition.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

chefalan1
Explorer
Explorer

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
I'm not sure if the Windsor was part of the RR4R recall, but it's worth checking out. I know the Knight and Cayman were but not sure about the Windsor. Perhaps Wolfe10 could shed some light on that.

Here is a link to an older post with the specifics: https://community.fmca.com/topic/569-important-safety-issue-monaco-hr-safari-chassis/
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm not sure if the Windsor was part of the RR4R recall, but it's worth checking out. I know the Knight and Cayman were but not sure about the Windsor. Perhaps Wolfe10 could shed some light on that. Regardless, take the VIN and run it through Safercar.com to see if there are any recalls. OP, if you're not sure what we're referring to, in 2005 there was a recall on failing trailing arms on some of the Monaco coaches. Only those on the RR4R Roadmaster chassis were affected. It is a BIG deal if this coach was one recalled and it was not fixed properly. If one of the arms fails, the coach becomes very unstable. Not good. Use caution and do your due diligence. Monaco does make a wonderful coach and will give you many years of trouble free enjoyment. We put over 100,000 miles on our Dynasty and are close to that on the Executive. Enjoy....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, I advise just keep your options open and keep looking. Monaco makes an excellent coach. I will say though for that amount of $ you can buy a lot of reasonable gassers with much less miles and much newer. Dunno if this is the route you want to take, but keep your eyeballs open for that "sweet deal".
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
chefalan1 wrote:
Purchasing time frame and retiring much closer. Have looked at all recommended models. Previous Allegro gas owner 10 yrs. Question on a unit, 2002 Monaco Windsor 40pbt, 3 slides, usual equipment plus more, 73000 miles,looks great but can be from hd photos. Floor plan extremely acceptable. unit priced at $57,900, in the middle of nada value. Can the extremely knowledgable readers on this site help me in entertaining this could be a good unit to purchase with proper inspections. I am looking for knowledge and any experience on this type ov rv. Thanks in advance for your help. ChefAlan looking to go.

You should be able to find what you want or get this one, for a lower price and under NADA low book. You're gonna need the savings for the expected and unexpected, with whatever you might buy. Otherwise, you'll be underwater, is short order. Not that you won't be anyway, after awhile, but why rush it?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would pass even if the R4 trailing arms recall has been done. The RR8 chassis (8 airbags) is a much better handling MH and I would only buy a Monaco/HR with a TRW steering gear... pitman arm has a bolt on the circumference that clamps it to the splined shaft and it's adjustable.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
15 year old MH driven an average of 400 miles per month. Seems...unusual.

I've always heard/read the average mileage on a RV is around 4500 miles a year.
400 miles a month does not seem unusual or excessive to me.

TANDDANDBIGE
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2002 40 Endeavor. Very similar. Had a bit lower miles and lower price, not a lot; coach is in excellent condition in and out. However...... had to put Amish unit in fridge ($1600 with ARP unit, I did install) second season(only have had it 3+ years now) and am about to replace the radiator ($2840 for copper/steel unit, I will install) other then that.... I replaced all 8 shocks with Bilstein Comfort Ride; well worth it. Point being, be prepared with a stash of cash for repairs and upgrades. This will be true of any coach of this age, don't let it deter you just be aware. Overall, we LOVE our Endeavor!
2002 HR ENDEAVOR 40'
2007 FORD EDGE TOAD

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
15 year old MH driven an average of 400 miles per month. Seems...unusual.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad