cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$8K for 1988 Holiday Rambler Imperial 27' Class C?

jacobjm
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at a 1988 Holiday Rambler Imperial 27' Class C. It's running and drives, but it has had its share of issues that have been fixed over the years. The interior has aged, but still looks good.

They're asking $8,000. NADA says that low retail is $3,320 and average retail is $4,000.

How accurate is NADA. What would you recommend as a next step?

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Have had two sets of Yokohama tires from Discount tire and very pleased with them and just priced them at $203.00 turnkey with road hazard warranty.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't have the skills, workspace, time and help for DIY consider saving your money until you can buy a 5 year old rig that needs nothing except tires if they are over 5 years old and have sidewall cracking. You can probably get financing on a 5-year old rig. Learn as much as you can about brands, models, floor plans. Recommend you get a rig with rear bedroom and RV queen bed, about 27 feet long, slides optional. Have rig inspected by independent truck mechanic and RV repair and get written repair estimates before you buy.

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Great responses so far and I agree. Their price is too high. Just a little bit of water or leak damage and you could be in for thousands in repairs. Add tires, some engine issues, brakes, and a few other small house issues that I would bet exist, and you could find yourself spending ten grand or more on a rig that will never be worth more than 3500 bucks.

The real questions is, assuming you get the price lower, are you handy? If you can't say yes in a second or hesitate at all, then run away from a 29 year old rv as fast as you can. 😉

Now if you have the skills and the time, it could be worth it once the price comes down. Good luck and let us know how it all works out.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
A "1988 Coach" might be on a 1987 or 1988 Chassis. In any event, if the Chassis is Ford, I believe the wheels had gone to 16" by 1987. Probably earlier. Our 1984, mentioned above, was on a 1983 Ford E350, and it had 16.5-inch "Coined" wheels that were difficult to find 16-inch replacements for. Starting 1984, E-Series had "hub piloted" wheels that interchange with the newest models. So, I don't think wheels will require replacement. But even if they did, used 16-inch wheels are available. Might even be able to get some with new tires mounted, from a 4x4 conversion outfit like Northwest QuadVan in Portland or Quigley in Pennsylvania.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
jacobjm wrote:
Are tires on this model really $3K?

You will need 7, figure around $1500. Are they on a old rim size, maybe you will need new rims also. Dick

jacobjm
Explorer
Explorer
Are tires on this model really $3K?

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
In my shopping experience a generally a road ready motorhome costs at least $10,000, sure you may find one listed for sale for $7,000 but it will likely need a $3,000 set of tires, ...

In addition to this every thousand dollars you spend over the $10,000 mark buys you 2 to 3 times its additional value in the long run all else being equal. By this I mean if you have 3 identical motorhomes, one priced at $10,000 one at $12,000 and one at $14,000, you may well find that the $12,000 or the $14,000 give you much more bang for your buck in terms of updates, condition, etc.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
We got $5000 for our 24-ft 1984 Holiday Rambler "Ambassador" (the entry level, Imperial is the top) in 2008. I don't consider the one we sold, a desirable model since it had no "bed down" only the torture sofa.

Back in that "Day" Ford only offered E350 and they had less capacity than newer ones. Weight vs. axle ratings should be considered. Drive it to a Truck Stop's CAT scale.

Price is high, should try to bargain down, BUT those HR's in those years were built like nothing before and very few since.

Can you post a pic of it, or a link to an ad?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
NADA's a guideline and I'd use it as a negotiation point. A bank would use it if you tried to finance the rig. But it's just a guideline. If you like the rig, I'd probably offer NADA high end too.

I sold our old coach before buying a new one off Craigslist. Convincing a seller that their beloved rig just isn't worth what they think it is (or hope it is) is tricky.

If it's priced right, it'll sell quickly.

But some sellers are just willing to wait.

jacobjm
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dale! Makes sense. They drive it basically once a year, and have made some maintenance, but my sense is I'll have to put some cash into it to get it to be road worthy long-term.

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless it is exceptional or one that you can't live without I'd stick close to the NADA book. I redid a 1989 van conversion and got 6k for it with new AC, toilet, convertor, water pump, battery, brakes, engine air, cushions and curtains. It also had a NADA of a high 4k price.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi