cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Car Tow Dollies

Maw__Jim___Jake
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Chevy Tracker we would like to tow. The car is very small and light so I was wondering if the dollies come in widths and weight capacity.
JMAT
2008 Newmar Grand Star, Brake Buddy, Blue Ox, Explorer Sport Trac 4x4, and (one brilliant Golden Retriever in spirit and memory) Toby our Corgi pup.
9 REPLIES 9

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
We're using a Demco SS. Although it is heavy, it's fairly easy for me to push around. The car has a hitch so we can use it to move it any real distance. Sites are usually pretty level making moving it less of a chore.

Gary

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
For moving a dolly around, go to Harbor Freight or Northern Tool and buy one of their 2 wheeled trailer dollys. I got the one from Harbor Freight, and used wing nuts to assemble the handle so I could take it apart easily and carry it in the basement of the coach. It makes moving the dolly by myself as easy as walking the dog!
I agree, the Demco Kar Kaddy is quite likely the best dolly on the market. While new ones are not cheap, used ones, with surge brakes, can be found anywhere between $700 and $1500. I am currently watching craigslist for one. I did a dumb thing and sold my old one!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

blknomad
Explorer
Explorer
I really don't know what you people mean by "pushing it around the camp ground". In the 7 years I've owned a motorhome I had to un hook 3 times. The words I use are "pull through" works almost every time. When it doesn't I back it in. My DW can pull the toad on the dolly and get her strap on then hook the safety chains while I put my strap on then go tighten her side and off we go. Trust me its not the problem people make it out to be. I can trade toads and not spend a nickel to buy a new plate and have it installed. I don't have to stop and crank the toad every 2 hours to lube the trans, I don't worry about unlocking the steering or running the battery down or hooking up some expensive brake system. Get a Demco with surge brakes and forget it. Even two 70 year olds can handle it.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Greydennyhawk wrote:
The "American Car Dolly" that We have is wide enough for big stuff also. Real fine, steel dolly with a brake kit installed, movable front pallet and nice, removable ramps.

I notice it weighs 455 pounds. Is that hard to push around the campground when you need to disconnect it?

I've never used a dolly so I'm curious.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
The "American Car Dolly" that We have is wide enough for big stuff also. Real fine, steel dolly with a brake kit installed, movable front pallet and nice, removable ramps.
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Make sure your Tracker can be dolly towed before you buy a dolly.

X2 on checking. I had a '94 Tracker 2 wheel drive with standard transmission that according to the owners manual was not towable on a dolly. Having said that I towed it from Texas to Tennessee and back in 2003 on a dolly with no problems. Don't own it anymore but I see it running around town. I also had a '98 Tracker 4WD with automatic transmission and manual hubs that I towed many miles 4 down with no problem. Could have been towed on a dolly as well. I believe the deciding factor was the manual hubs. Automatic hubs are not towable I don't think. Again, be sure to check your specific vehicle.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Remco

Go to this site and enter your information and it will tell you if you can dolly tow it.

I suggest going to a place that sells dollies and roll one around the parking lot and on grass. There will be times you need to do this.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure your Tracker can be dolly towed before you buy a dolly.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Maw, Jim & Jake wrote:
We have a Chevy Tracker we would like to tow. The car is very small and light so I was wondering if the dollies come in widths and weight capacity.
JMAT

Either way, the used market is full of them with people who have changed their minds about how to tow, so even if more capacity than what you need and a good deal, go for it.
Before doing anything though, I would look into the possibility of towing 4 down with another toad or with what you have now. Just IMHO, of course.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)