cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Columbia ice fields

Cumminalong
Explorer
Explorer
We are travelling this summer to Banff 5days then to Jasper 3days,should we camp@ the ice fields 1nite on the way to Jasper or come back from Jasper to visit. What would experience say? John R.
19 REPLIES 19

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
I asked a park official this past summer and he said overnight in the north parking lot required a fee and showed me the kiosk to get the payment envelope. I filled it out and paid. Not worth the hassle from ignoring it. Park is very well maintained and I don't regret paying my fee.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wondered if someone would re-iterate and eventually point out about having to pay for overnighting in the parking lot...

Murray is correct (as I stood corrected) that there is an overnight fee for RV parking at the Icefields parking lot, I just confirmed on their website clearly showing that there actually is an overnight fee listed for RV's...

Now to explain and clarify (not justify) this portion on what I first posted two weeks ago here :

"I have boondocked at the Columbia Icefields parking lot on two occasions for free (Interpretive Centre) as no one bothered me or anyone else there in an RV.... it's not really advertised but it is the only overnight destination to park an RV there without paying while stopping short of saying to encourage people to do so....pretty sure if one would stay multi days at a time they would stick out with officials"

The first time overnighting at the Interpretive Centre I clearly seen the kiosk stand on the east end of the parking lot and went to retrieve a payment envelope pouch as another RV'er (deluxe class C with Alberta plates) approached me and pointed out that unless I was going to use the tent sites ahead that I didn't need to pay for an overnighter in the parking lot - asked if he was sure about that as he pointed out that there is nothing that states an overnight parking fee on the kiosk or on the envelope other than a space indicating a campsite.

From what I seen, there was no clear cut sign of any overnight RV parking fee listed or posted there, but there was definitely a fee sign posted for obtaining a tent site as the man pointed out, as he tells me he never paid a fee for overnighting there but told me he would not recommend overnighting on multi days as it might stick out with officials, so I took his word kinda like a grain of salt and told him thanks for pointing it out.

That is why I posted "it's not really advertised but it is the only overnight destination to park an RV there without paying while stopping short of saying to encourage people to do so" because I never seen any sign that stated there was a fee for RV's nor there was any sign that stated RV overnighting was free either.

I did not pay for two consecutive years upon two overnights total there nor got confronted by officials about it.

I certainly will never overnight for free anymore the next time I would ever overnight there as it is officially posted on the website there is a $15.70 fee.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't know it was for an "overnight" parking spot, thanks for the clarification.
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
gmctoyman wrote:
Murray, can you RON in the lot without hassle once the fee is paid ?

The fee is for an overnight parking/camping spot. Why would you be hassled?
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Remain over night

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
gmctoyman wrote:

Can someone explain "RON" ?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
I overnighted there last summer. I say YES worth the stop. Overnight fee but reasonable. Nice views and other places to view close by north and south of the center.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

Cumminalong
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all John R.

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
There's a bunch of incorrect information here. The parking lot to the left as you drive in to the Icefields Centre is official RV parking, good for any size rig, with a fee of $15.70 per night (self-register in the kiosk at the top of the lot as you drive in). It's very exposed to the winds, but has awesome views. Very few of the 100 parking sites are level. Outhouses are at the upper part of the lot.

Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have boondocked at the Columbia Icefields parking lot on two occasions for free (Interpretive Centre) as no one bothered me or anyone else there in an RV.... it's not really advertised but it is the only overnight destination to park an RV there without paying while stopping short of saying to encourage people to do so....pretty sure if one would stay multi days at a time they would stick out with officials.

Weather fronts do howl thru there pretty bad at times as I spent the night there in Sept. 2012 and Sept. 2013....

Sept 2013 - Interpretive Centre parking lot -Columbia Icefield- Jasper Nat'l Park Alberta :

Sept. 2011 I was thinking of spending the night there but it got so cold with heavy drizzle rainfall, close to zero visibility, smelling snow type moisture in the air I decided to move on and head to lower elevation ground and just push it to Jasper for two reasons :

Potential snow with delayed travel...

Seeing Jasper for the first time on a potential clear day and hit the tram ....

Boy, did the latter work perfect....it was totally clear the day after pushing it to Whistler's campground in Jasper - was clear as a bell until 20 minutes on the upper terminal ....as the Icefields Parkway had closed from the Columbia Icefield to I believe the Sunwapta Falls area gate for a day.

Sept 2011 - Whistlers Mountain -upper terminal- Jasper Nat'l Park Alberta :
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

Powder_pig
Explorer
Explorer
Cumminalong; Your rig is far too big to fit in the Wilcox creek campground located just south of the icefields BUT, there is an overflow camping area beside the icefields interpretive centre/hotel. If you don't mind dry camping (no water or sewer or power but there are a couple of outhouses) it is worth staying there one night. The views are stupendous and the interpretive centre worth a good visit. It is usually cold and breezy at night and literally is a parking lot so be prepared for that.

There are no other campgrounds nearby which would take your unit. Wilcox sites are too small and the icefields campground is for tents and small vans/campers only, no trailers.

idaho556
Explorer
Explorer
We camped there in 32 fifth wheel thought it was great for a night or two, busy as heck during the day, but peaceful at night.
Self registering, we back up at far end disconnected and took two parking spot, so did others, nobody never bothered us.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can camp in designated areas only within the park.