cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

part time snowbirding

Zippo_Lover
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are thinking about snowbirding next winter on a part time basis. We'd like somewhere in the southeast US. Our thought is to take our Class A somewhere, leave it, and use it a couple weeks each month during Nov-April (can't stay away from the grandkids the entire winter). We'd prefer not to leave it set up on a site while not there. Anybody ever do this? If so, any suggestions in our search? We were kind of thinking Florida but are entirely open to suggestions. PA winters are just getting a little much for these two old Seniors.
3 REPLIES 3

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe someone can convince Sweet Thing that when our 2 great dogs cross the bridge we don't need any new ones.
I love 'em and we've always had 1 or 2 but they do stop us from doing what is being discussed here. The airlines really restrict what flights dogs can be on.
Puma 30RKSS

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot of people from Alaska do it all of the time. Ours is in Surprise, AZ at the moment. We'll fly down and pick it up about a week. It's a waste of time, money, fuel, wear and tear and so on to drive the RV back and forth every year. Go to a RV storage place around Phoenix and look at all of the license plates from all over.

I'd give you two tips. If you don't take it home for the summer and it's in a southern climate, get covered storage for it so the sun doesn't cook everything inside of it.

The next thing is if you put it in storage, try to pick someplace within 50 miles of a good sized airport for plane connections - we always use an airport Alaska Airlines flys to. By being within 50 miles of a major airport you can find a shuttle service that's a lot more reasonably priced than taking a taxi to an airport.

Some storage places are part of large RV repair places. They can work on your RV while you're not there so you're not stuck waiting around until they can get parts or get to it.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
My brother does that and flies Southwest because they do not charge to change when you fly... into Orlando. He stores it near Daytona... I would find someplace nearer Orlando like Stage Stop in Winter Garden.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...