cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting to Teklanika CG

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
We are staying there in June and my daughter will be flying in to Anchorage the same day we arrive at the cg. She will be renting a car and driving to Denali NP. The problem is, she will be getting there around 8 pm and I don't know if buses will still be running out there that late. any thoughts?
5 REPLIES 5

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. As it turns out she was able to get the day before off, so she will be getting an earlier flight. Just part of the problems of logistics when traveling with other campers and making reservations ahead of time. Now to figure out the timing of meeting up with grandson and other daughter with her two.
The last time we were there, we were trying to figure out how we were going to meet up with friends from Florida that did not have a phone with them. It turned out that, while we were riding on one of the shuttles, it stopped to pick them up at one of the stops, surprise.

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
There will be no way for her to join you at that time of night. My suggestion would be for her to spend the night in her car in the transit lot and catch the first shuttle bus into the park the next morning. I believe the first bus leaves around 5:30 or 6:00 a.m. She wont be able to drive her car to TEK and you will not be allowed to drive to the gate to,pick her up. Riding the bus is her only way to get from the main gate to TEK.
You can go on the park's webpage and pull up bus schedules a couple weeks prior to her arrival.
Do you know about the free shuttle bus rides for TEK campers? Definitely one of the best bargains in the park.
2004 Travel Supreme 38DS04
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
As suggested, perhaps better to stay in Los Anchorage for a night and go to the park the next day. FWIW, in June, one will travel much faster from Los Anchorage to Willow-area (i.e. get out of the Anchorage - Mat/Su population centers) if one travels early in the a.m. (leaving Los Anchorage before 0700) than later in the day.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
accsys wrote:
Unless rules have changed, you will be unable to go back to the gate area to get her. She will most likely have to spend the night somewhere near the gate and wait on the next day's bus. She might be better off staying in Anchorage or Talkeetna and coming in the next day. When the time gets closer I would call the park and ask them your best option.
Plus talk to them when you get there.

Perhaps a better option would be for you to delay going in for one day and meeting up elsewhere even another Denali CG.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Unless rules have changed, you will be unable to go back to the gate area to get her. She will most likely have to spend the night somewhere near the gate and wait on the next day's bus. She might be better off staying in Anchorage or Talkeetna and coming in the next day. When the time gets closer I would call the park and ask them your best option.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams