cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is this really the only 5th wheel hitch option?

bdepaauw
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

My wife and I are getting our first RV on Thursday and are supper excited! However, today we went to look for a hitch and the sales person said the only option for my 5 1/2 foot bed (2013 Ford F-150) is the Pullrite 12K Superglide 3100, coming in at $2200.

According to him my only option was this one. No manual hitches would work and no other auto sliders would slide far enough.

Is this true?
18 REPLIES 18

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
bdepaauw wrote:
Hi,

My wife and I are getting our first RV on Thursday and are supper excited! However, today we went to look for a hitch and the sales person said the only option for my 5 1/2 foot bed (2013 Ford F-150) is the Pullrite 12K Superglide 3100, coming in at $2200.

According to him my only option was this one. No manual hitches would work and no other auto sliders would slide far enough.

Is this true?

Welcome to the forum ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
I'll repost your slider question and maybe some one with actual experience can reply.
Its like this any time some one mentions a 5th wheel trailer and a 1/2 ton truck so don't get discouraged.

The shorty F150 bed/ 3100 Superglide is rare and not one discussed much....but there out here doing their job.

I did a quick google and came up with several web forums with this subject. Check out a google.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
I agree with the dealer. Personally, I would not attempt to tow a fiver with your truck, it does not have adequate payload and the hitch would be mounted too far back for proper weight distribution. But it's your nickel, your call.

I agree. Why anyone would tow a fiver with a 5.5ft bed is beyond me. The dealer see's the writing on the wall is the reason he is requesting a waiver. Then on the other hand, he's not gonna bring it up as he also want's to make "the sale"!

Sorry OP, no disrespect intended. But that's not a good tow vehicle for a 5th wheel.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Between the weight of people, gear, cargo, full tank of gas, the hitch itself and pin weight, will you be within the rear axle and tire ratings? For the size 5th wheel one could tow with an F150, I would much rather opt for a comparable travel trailer. If all is etched in stone, I'd go with the hitch the dealer wants to install. Having let a dealer install my first 5th wheel hitch out of convenience, I will never again pay to have one installed. I installed the same hitch in five more trucks and did a much better job.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
You can get a regular hitch and a Reese revolution or sidewinder pin box instead of a slider

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy a Pullrite hitch on line for about $1000 cheaper. Then you have to add the rails and installation. But the money for an auto slider is well worth piece of mind.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
mrkoje wrote:
IdaD wrote:
sharker6 wrote:
My Dealer said I had to sign a waiver to exclude them from liability if I opted not to have a slider and that's a decent price.

What a load of ****. Dealers are such crooks.

Ya, until the new owner takes his new 5th wheel and tows it with a half ton (which is probably underrated to begin with) and then smashes his cab and blames the dealer. Just because the dealer wants a waiver signed does not mean they are crooks.

Most likely the dealer has been down that road before, threatened with a lawsuit or two and doesn't wish for it to happen again. Wake up before posting your silly comments.

X2! That is way too short of bed to not have a slider, OR Reese Revolution.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
sharker6 wrote:
My Dealer said I had to sign a waiver to exclude them from liability if I opted not to have a slider and that's a decent price.

Ya, until the new owner takes his new 5th wheel and tows it with a half ton (which is probably underrated to begin with) and then smashes his cab and blames the dealer. Just because the dealer wants a waiver signed does not mean they are crooks.

Most likely the dealer has been down that road before, threatened with a lawsuit or two and doesn't wish for it to happen again. Wake up before posting your silly comments.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
My box is 6 foot 4 I've never had to slide my curt...

If I felt I needed to slide the hitch I'd do the pin box first.
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with the dealer. Personally, I would not attempt to tow a fiver with your truck, it does not have adequate payload and the hitch would be mounted too far back for proper weight distribution. But it's your nickel, your call.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
IdaD wrote:
sharker6 wrote:

Nope. Dealer installs hitch he knows may allow the 5er to hit cab. Warns driver. Driver makes tight turn and damages cab. Driver sues dealer for negligence. Fact of life.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe the dealer is giving good advice. Roll the $2200 into the purchase loan and go camping.
I have had the PR and 5.5 bed going ten years now. No regrets.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Check out superglide 3100.

The dealer may or may not be correct......I would do a 1-800 to the major 5th wheel hitch makers and see if they have a sliding hitch for that 5 1/2 foot short bed.
I have a 6' 4" short bed Dodge so what works for me will not work for your very short bed truck.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
With that short of a bed, that is the hitch I would want.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
sharker6 wrote:

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB