cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2017 f250 lariat crewcab 4x4

SHELLMAN
Explorer
Explorer
Before I purchased the truck I took it to Lance and adventure campers to match it too the 855s and 86SBS campers the payload for the truck is 3470 both wet weight is 3200 I also put overload springs from torklift and airbags. I also towing a 16 foot kingfisher any suggestions
21 REPLIES 21

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
transferred wrote:
Re tires, my SRW 2005 Ram 3500 has E-rated tires at 3,750 lbs apiece so I have 15,000lbs of total tire capacity and 7,500lbs per axle. Point being tires are not the limiting factor.

Your 2005 Ram AAM rear axle has a rating around 10K lbs, so your rear tires are a limiting factor of what you can carry on the back of your truck. I don't believe your front axle is rated for much more than 6000 lbs, so those tires on the front are not limiting you. If my numbers are right, your GAWR is around 16k lbs if you have sufficiently rated wheels and suspension. Due to your current wheels, you are limited to 13.5K lbs GVW if loaded properly.

My 2005 Ford had a Dana 60 front axle rated at 7250 lbs and rear Visteon Sterling 10.5" axle rated at 9750 lbs, so you have to know the components used in YOUR truck if you want apply upgrades that will help your carrying capacity. This truck had a 17K lb GAWR, but was limited to 16,250 lbs GVW due to my choice of rims.

Yah, agreed. I should have been more clear and meant appropriate tires are not limiting factor for those wanting to stick within GVWR.

Good stats in your post.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

Bedlam
transferred wrote:
Re tires, my SRW 2005 Ram 3500 has E-rated tires at 3,750 lbs apiece so I have 15,000lbs of total tire capacity and 7,500lbs per axle. Point being tires are not the limiting factor.

Your 2005 Ram AAM rear axle has a rating around 10K lbs, so your rear tires are a limiting factor of what you can carry on the back of your truck. I don't believe your front axle is rated for much more than 6000 lbs, so those tires on the front are not limiting you. If my numbers are right, your GAWR is around 16k lbs if you have sufficiently rated wheels and suspension. Due to your current wheels, you are limited to 13.5K lbs GVW if loaded properly.

My 2005 Ford had a Dana 60 front axle rated at 7250 lbs and rear Visteon Sterling 10.5" axle rated at 9750 lbs, so you have to know the components used in YOUR truck if you want apply upgrades that will help your carrying capacity. This truck had a 17K lb GAWR, but was limited to 16,250 lbs GVW due to my choice of rims.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I said earlier I ordered my F250 with overload springs which you may not have but shortly after I got it I loaded it with gravel until the springs looked loaded but still had some room between the bumpers and the axle. I went to the scales to see how much I had put on and was shocked to see that it was 6,000lbs. I never loaded it that heavy again but I did often haul 4,000lbs. That is about what my camper weighed loaded for a trip. With 3,400lb tires on it that had them near capacity and the last spring was just touching. The only mod other than bigger rear tires that I made was putting Ranch 9000 shocks on it so that I could adjust damping for the load that I had. I should have done it much sooner. The ride both unloaded and loaded was much improved.

My father set up a very similar rig with a 1995 F250 but on my advice skipped the factory steel overloads and added airbags. In my opinion he had a smoother ride plus had more options for leveling the rig at the campsite.

Neither one of us liked to get over 65mph, mostly because of the noise and fuel burn of the 460 engine. Your truck will probably ride better than ours did plus be more stable with the heavier frame and Powerstroke holding it down. It was amazing how much frame flex we had. Your truck will be much more rigid.

Bedlam
The F250 will do great loaded up to 7000 lbs on the rear axle with 3640 lb rated tires on OEM 18" rims and the camper package which gives you the upper overload spring and rear stabilizer bar. Since the rear is not raked up like the F350, you do need address rear sag more by adding upper and lower StableLoads.

This truck is capable of more rear axle weight, but at this point you need to put too much money in to it unless you already have the truck and plan to keep it for a while. If buying a truck, that 7000 lbs RAW is the cutoff to start looking at DRW options. BTW: The last time I checked, the F350 DRW sits as low as the F250 but is wider. If you are set on keeping a F250 and want it to do more, adding 19.5" wheels, air bags and heavier dampened shocks to the already installed StableLoads will get you a modified 9000 lb RAWR.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
An F350 SRW would give you 6290 RAWR, an extra 190 lbs. Not exactly what I call a huge difference between having a 2 or a 3 in front of the 50

F350 RAWR specs

17" tires = 6340
18" All Season tires = 6780
18" All Terrain tires = 7230
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
For what it is worth I carried a 12.5' Caribou camper on a 1991 F250 for about 16 years and often towed a 21' Wellcraft V20 behind it on a 4 1/2' hitch extension (with load distributing hitch). I really should have had more truck but it got the job done. The main shortcoming that I felt when driving was marginal brakes but it had the biggest brakes Ford offered in any pickup that year. I did upgrade to bigger tires than the LT235/85/16s that came on it when they became available. And I did have the camper package and the factory overload springs. You have more truck with less camper and less boat. As long as you excersize due caution I don't think that you will have any trouble. My main concern is whether you got the slide in camper package. That is very rare on the lot. The main component in it is a rear sway bar that you could add and probably should if you don't alreay have one.

The main issue that I had was side to side sway when going over uneven ground tossing things around in the camper. The wider treadwidth of a dually would have helped some but not much. The bottom line is that when you are an eleven foot tall rig around and hit a bump on one side it is going to sway. If you do it fast food and dishes are going to be flying. My motorhome with 8.5' wide axles is better but not a whole lot and is much more prone to dropping a tire off the side of the road. I often wish that at least the front axle on it was a little narrower.

Just be one of the slower vehicles on the road, especially in turns, and you should be fine.

One more thing, I would bet that your boat trailer doesn't have trailer brakes. I would add some if it does not. You can never have too much braking.

I understand the garage issues, that was a main factor in my decision. That plus I got a good deal on a bigger camper than I even new existed when I ordered the truck.

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of people say the same thing Grit Dog, but life is not that simple.

There are always a lot more F250's to choose from on the lots, leading to overall better deals on price.

In my particular case, the fit in my garage is pretty tight, up top, that I have 1" of clearance to the garage door opener.

An F350 has 4" blocks on the back, so the back of the crew cab truck would hit the garage door opener. I've calculated the angles and measured both trucks' height with a tape measure.

In any case, back to the topic. A truck camper with a slide on an F250 would be pushing the axle weight rating, in my opinion, especially when loaded up for a trip.

I've looked at a lot of places, but I'm pretty sure it's the same axle as a SRW F350, but I don't have documentation on that.

Two E rated tires still limit you to 7280 lbs (2x3640 lbs Michelins) lbs on the rear axle. But the listed rear GAWR on my F250 with the truck camper package is is 6100 lbs, which is weird...

I would say it would be best not to load a heavy slider onto a SRW truck. You can do it, but it would be seriously pushing it according to THIS.

An F350 SRW would give you 6290 RAWR, an extra 190 lbs. Not exactly what I call a huge difference between having a 2 or a 3 in front of the 50.
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Powerdude wrote:
While the 2017 models might have slightly higher payload, the real killer of payload is the diesel engine.

My 2016 F250 CC SB with the 6.2 liter gas has a listed payload of 3100, with a 10000 lbs GVWR.

I have the camper package with the factory overload springs.

The truck came with a glove box sheet of paper that says certified for a truck camper with a weight of 1790 lbs. That's assuming 6 seating positions filled by a 150 lbs person.

Could I carry a Lance 855S? Probably, but it would be really close.

I think a lance 825 is perfect for that truck, and that's kind of what I'm currently shopping for. Slides are just too dang heavy. That being said, the rear axle is rated for 6200 lbs, and the tires combined for 6900 lbs (load range E).

Go figure...

The real killer of payload is the 2 in front of the 50 and the piece of paper in your glove box. Otherwise it's a 350 with less springs, or in your case maybe the same.

10k gvw of class 2 (250s and 2500s) doesn't leave much on the table on paper, but real world capability is much more. Gain 2000 lbs just by changing the 2 to a 3!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
While the 2017 models might have slightly higher payload, the real killer of payload is the diesel engine.

My 2016 F250 CC SB with the 6.2 liter gas has a listed payload of 3100, with a 10000 lbs GVWR.

I have the camper package with the factory overload springs.

The truck came with a glove box sheet of paper that says certified for a truck camper with a weight of 1790 lbs. That's assuming 6 seating positions filled by a 150 lbs person.

Could I carry a Lance 855S? Probably, but it would be really close.

I think a lance 825 is perfect for that truck, and that's kind of what I'm currently shopping for. Slides are just too dang heavy. That being said, the rear axle is rated for 6200 lbs, and the tires combined for 6900 lbs (load range E).

Go figure...
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
SHELLMAN wrote:
Sticker says 2500 I do have a 6.7 turbo charge diesel
The ford dealership told me the f350 has only 60 pounds more payload u can email me at rainbowtrout@sbcglobal.net

Here are all the specs.

LINK
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

SHELLMAN
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info lance 825 is the choice I will go

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
SHELLMAN wrote:
The ford dealership told me the f350 has only 60 pounds more payload u can email me at rainbowtrout@sbcglobal.net

A 2017 F350 diesel with a 2560 payload? If you selected the appropriate payload package, the F350 could have around 3500lb payload.

You already bought the F250 so it really doesn't matter at this point. Just make sure you don't exceed your tire ratings if they are the 17".
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

SHELLMAN
Explorer
Explorer