cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing and weather

hitchikerman
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaving Michigan and weather is calling for sleet and 20 to 30 wind gusts out of the west. We are towing a 35 ft fifthwheel and the tv is a 2013 Duramax. Shouldn't have any concerns I hope.
12 REPLIES 12

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
hitchikerman wrote:
We are leaving Michigan and weather is calling for sleet and 20 to 30 wind gusts out of the west. We are towing a 35 ft fifthwheel and the tv is a 2013 Duramax. Shouldn't have any concerns I hope.

I guess it would depend on where you are going.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Just spoke to family in southeastern Michigan. Balmy weather for Michigan with temps in the 50's and win at less than 5mph.

Current conditions in Linden are 56 degrees with wind at 12mph.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

Johno02 wrote:
No worries about pulling it, just worry about keeping it on the road. And yes, with ice and high winds, you should have LOTs of concern!

X10
There shouldn't even be any discussion on whether this is safe to take any RV out in. PARK IT.

If not for your families safety but please for all the other families driving around you.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

hitchikerman
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting the forecast from the weather app and as I checked it again they have cancelled the sleet...also we are leaving hopefully the day before. Thanks for all the help.

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd sure like to know what weather forecast you're looking at?

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Agree...also not an absolute that if one has with no problems...does mean NO-ONE else will...ditto the other way around...if one blew over doesn't mean everyone will...

I've pulled over with my K5 Blazer due to side winds...wasn't towing

Highway a Patrol was pulling EVERYONE over to the side and told to sit it out

Just be careful and go SLOW or wait till the wind dies down

downtheroad wrote:
hitchikerman wrote:
Shouldn't have any concerns I hope.

I would have some....
Is this an absolute must that you go?...I'd wait.

(I'm sure others will come on telling stories of how they towed in a blinding 60 mph blizzard and ice storm, no problem..)
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful towing and don't be in a hurry. 20-30mph gusts here are normal if not a consistent thing and I tow in them all of the time. It can be done and it can be done safely. Your confidence and awareness are a big factor. You're towing a FW ok, trucking companies are still out there in full force with big rigs driving all over the place. You will be fine!
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Park it til the weather improves.
Bob

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Would you drive in those conditions without towing anything? If yes, then just remember how different your truck handles in perfect conditions compared to when you are towing in perfect conditions... What changes do you do when it's perfect? Consider those changes when the conditions are not perfect and go from there.

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
hitchikerman wrote:
Shouldn't have any concerns I hope.

I would have some....
Is this an absolute must that you go?...I'd wait.

(I'm sure others will come on telling stories of how they towed in a blinding 60 mph blizzard and ice storm, no problem..)
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Sleet" at least means ice on every bridge plus 20-30 mph gusts? Gusts are worse than a steady wind. Stay put until it clears.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
No worries about pulling it, just worry about keeping it on the road. And yes, with ice and high winds, you should have LOTs of concern!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.