cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternate Route from Oklahoma to New Mexico

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
In May of 2018, we will be going to Arizona. Been there once before. This time taking a different route. From Pa turnpike to I-70, then I-44 into Oklahoma.Instead of hitting I-40 at Oklahoma City, I was thinking about an alternate route. At Tulsa ,take 412 to 54 into New Mexico.We will be pulling a 26ft TT. How are these roads and how is gas availability? Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
I would stay on 54 to Vaughn, NM then pick up 60 west to Show Lo, AZ then hwy 260 to Payson. They are all good roads and once you go south on 54 from Santa Rosa there is not much traffic. It is all beautiful, wide open country. When you leave Show Low you will be driving through Ponderosa Pine country (National Forrest).....very pretty country! I have driven that route MANY times and never get tired of it. Gas is at any town you come to . Bigger places like Socorro, NM and Show Low, AZ have every thing you could need. PS. The weather in this part of the country has been warm and sunny most all winter and they are calling for more of the same.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
Almost every year lately I travel 412 west to Boise City, then to Clayton NM. Last year I continued through Springer and then took 64 all the way across to AZ. There is a short stretch, maybe 10-15 miles where the expansion joints make the ride rough, but for the life of me I can't recall if that stretch is east or west of Guymon. The route through Taos and Chama is nice and scenic, with no excessively tough grades. But a stretch of 160 from the AZ line, to perhaps as far as Mexican Water, was teeth-rattling rough.

If you go thru Chama the train ride on the old steam locomotive is worth the time.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll often take US-60 across because I live on it (routes with 412 in sections). West of Enid it is lightly traveled.

I take 60 as far as Amarillo if I'm going to northern Arizona, then pick up I-40.

I take 60 as far as Clovis if going toward southern Arizona or SW New Mexico. From there I've used US-70 as far as Las Cruces to pick up I-10.

Once stayed on US-60 to Fort Sumner (wanted to visit the place) then NM-20 connecting with US-285 into Roswell to reconnect with US-70. While I did OK with a C, not towing, the road is narrow and rough, with local ranch traffic, and I can't recommend it as a preferred route.

If you are stopping at Twin Bridges, you are starting out on US-60. Vinita to Bartlesville can be a challenge with a mix of commuter traffic and rural use of the highway. Bartlesville to Ponca City is a National Scenic Byway, sections busy at commute times. West of Ponca City the scenery opens up, often a 2 mile line of sight, traffic light, locals tend to run well over the speed limit, Highway Patrol is out there to catch them.

All these trips through New Mexico have been between March and the end of October. I can't say what this part of NM might be like in winter, except to note that Ruidoso is something of a winter sports area, yet I don't know the season.

I'm on these routes a lot because I hate dealing with heavy truck traffic running too fast down hills then blocking both lanes uphill on the OK turnpikes and I-40 west of OKC.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
54 is a good 2 lane all the way.Nwvwr been on 60. I would check the weather on 60 before heading that way. Could have some snow in the higher passes
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Dave and Sue wrote:
We use 412 to go to our dealer in Sapulpa.Rough in spots and pretty good in others.54 hwy is great all the way to Almagordo where you catch 70 over to I-10.Why not take 70 over west of St. louis then drop south and hit 54 and stop and see some of the lakes? Lake of the Ozarks is nice and plenty of CGs around Camdenton, Mo.On through Kansas and see some of our sights.

We only have 2 weeks to get there from Pa. We have spent some times in south western Misouri at Pommer de Terra Lake. Nice area. We also spent some time in Kansas near Manhattan. From there we visited the Eisenhower Home, the Museum of Telephany and the Greyhound Museum in Abiline We also went to Ft Riley and the First territorial Capitol and 2 Pony Express way stations, one in Marysville and one in Hollenberg. People who say there is nothing to see in Kansas are wrong.Our trip will take us west on the Pa Turnpike to Rt 70. First night in Richmond,In. Continue on 70 to I-44 through Missouri to NE Oklahoma at Twin Bridges State park. Then to New Mexico to Ute Lake State Park on off Rt 54. So another question.My eventual destination is Payson, Ar. Would it be advisable to hit I-40 then south on 54 to I-25 then to Rt 60 into Arizona. How are those roads again towing a 26 ft TT and what is the availability of gas?

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
We use 412 to go to our dealer in Sapulpa.Rough in spots and pretty good in others.54 hwy is great all the way to Almagordo where you catch 70 over to I-10.Why not take 70 over west of St. louis then drop south and hit 54 and stop and see some of the lakes? Lake of the Ozarks is nice and plenty of CGs around Camdenton, Mo.On through Kansas and see some of our sights.
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
412 will take you through small Oklahoma towns it is a little 2 lane and a little 4 lane at times. Same with 54. At Tucumcari, NM 54 runs with I 40 to Santa Rosa then 54 cuts south/west towards Alamogordo then pick up 70 south/west to Las Cruses I 25 south to I 10 west. Gas along the way is plentiful and many RV'S travel highway 54, 70.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Boxer Lovers wrote:
412 across Oklahoma with big pavement expansion joints will jar your teeth out!

The one stretch used to do that, but they covered the concrete with asphalt a while back and that helped. Now of course the expansion joints are starting to hump the asphalt up, but still it isn't as bad as it used to be.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
TyroneandGladys wrote:
...FYI there are no good places for the night between Tucumcari and Albuquerque...
I disagree, Santa Rosa State Park located on a Corps of Engineers Lake has a nice campground.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
412 across Oklahoma with big pavement expansion joints will jar your teeth out!
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
The route through Taos and Chama is nice and scenic, with no excessively tough grades.

Agree completely, and Taos is worth a visit.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
We took US 412-64 from Tulsa across the OK panhandle two years ago. That's the Ken Burn's "Dustbowl" country and it's interesting to see it now. You can take a little detour to see Black Mesa , the "highest point in Oklahoma", in case you like to visit each state's hightest point.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Almost every year lately I travel 412 west to Boise City, then to Clayton NM. Last year I continued through Springer and then took 64 all the way across to AZ. There is a short stretch, maybe 10-15 miles where the expansion joints make the ride rough, but for the life of me I can't recall if that stretch is east or west of Guymon. The route through Taos and Chama is nice and scenic, with no excessively tough grades. But a stretch of 160 from the AZ line, to perhaps as far as Mexican Water, was teeth-rattling rough.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
Where in Arizona? 380 across NM is nice and you can take I 25 up to 60 at Socorro or down to Hatch and connect to I 10
I need some wild