cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oregon trail Wyoming

Cup_fan
Explorer
Explorer
Was wondering if anyone has followed the Oregon trail across Wyoming. I was studying this route recently and it looks like there might be some fascinating things to see along the way for those who into the history of the Oregon trail. Would like to know if the historical sights along the way would make it a worthwhile trip. Any must see sights, and lodging options would be helpful as well.
2015 Silverado 2500HD
2015 Rockwood 8315 BSS
Sammie and Ginger (our four legged kids)
Navy veteran
12 REPLIES 12

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Guernsey WY
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
In Wyoming, you will find lots of places you can boondock, however, you will probably want to drop the trailer if you are wanting to explore along some of the remote sections which can only be seen from dirt roads. I think it would be a hoot to follow the route as close as possible.

If you do travel any of the dirt roads and get caught by a sudden rain storm, I suggest you immediately stop and then wait for about 1 hour after the rain stops before trying to go.

We were just west of Casper exploring a section of the Oregon trail when we had a rainstorm hit. The road immediately went slick. I had to get out and engage the front hubs and almost fell down a couple of times. We did manage to drive the 1/2 mile out but came close to sliding off the road a few times and wouldn't have made it if the we had to climb a hill. My father made a comment that he would rather be driving on ice as it had more traction.

Just a warning to be careful and always have water and food with you just in case.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
A friend took a RV Caravan a few years ago that did the Oregon Trail from the Mississippi River to the Pacific. I don't remember how many days for the 2000+ mile trip but it seemed to cover many spots along the Oregon Trail. We have visited a few sites in Oregon along the Columbia River and it is impressive. You might check out caravan advertising and see what their routing is--just a thought.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Cup fan wrote:
CloudDriver wrote:
Old-Biscuit missed a couple.

Two miles from Register Cliff are the best preserved wagon ruts. Walk along the deep ruts to see additional sections of ruts.

Fort Laramie

Route 28 south of Lander follows near the route of the Oregon Trail over the continental divide at South Pass. There are several trail markers along this route.

Not an Oregon Trail site, but worth a visit is South Pass City, a partially restored gold mining town about two miles down a good gravel road from route 28.

I guess what I'm really wondering is, are most of these sites such as the ones that Old-Biscuit mentioned, accessible by vehicle, and are they worth the stopping to see. I'm trying to determine if it would be worth spending a few days of our vacation following this route. We would only be doing the western Nebraska and Wyoming portions. Part 2 of my question is what about camping? Are there campgrounds along the way? BLM or National Forest areas, or private campgrounds? Some of these areas, especially in Wyoming, look like they could be pretty remote. Am I going to have problems finding places to camp along the way? I may post that question in another section, but if anyone here has some suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

There is a rest stop at Independence Rock if you are comfortable with that type of camping. Memory is hazy, but I think there are only bathroom facilities there. As a FYI, route 220 from Casper and then route 278 to Lander crosses essentially unpopulated area for many miles. A few large ranches but no towns. It's a nice drive, but don't break down.

Guernsey State Park with lots of campsites is a couple of miles from the wagon ruts and Register Cliff. We had a water/electric site. I would suggest this as a campsite for Fort Laramie as well. Pony Soldier campground is a few miles east of Fort Laramie and there is another campground right at the turn off for the fort, but both are very close to the Union Pacific main line and the trains are frequent.

Sleeping Bear campground in Lander is good for route 28 over the South pass.

Can't advise on the other locations suggested by Old-Biscuit, as we haven't visited them.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

Cup_fan
Explorer
Explorer
CloudDriver wrote:

Two miles from Register Cliff are the best preserved wagon ruts. Walk along the deep ruts to see additional sections of ruts.

Fort Laramie

Route 28 south of Lander follows near the route of the Oregon Trail over the continental divide at South Pass. There are several trail markers along this route.

Not an Oregon Trail site, but worth a visit is South Pass City, a partially restored gold mining town about two miles down a good gravel road from route 28.

I guess what I'm really wondering is, are most of these sites such as the ones that Old-Biscuit mentioned, accessible by vehicle, and are they worth the stopping to see. I'm trying to determine if it would be worth spending a few days of our vacation following this route. We would only be doing the western Nebraska and Wyoming portions. Part 2 of my question is what about camping? Are there campgrounds along the way? BLM or National Forest areas, or private campgrounds? Some of these areas, especially in Wyoming, look like they could be pretty remote. Am I going to have problems finding places to camp along the way? I may post that question in another section, but if anyone here has some suggestions, I'd appreciate it.
2015 Silverado 2500HD
2015 Rockwood 8315 BSS
Sammie and Ginger (our four legged kids)
Navy veteran

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
scotts bluff Nebraska (just accross the wyoming border) has an excellent national monument dedicated to the mormon and oregon trails.it is well worth the time.

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to Ft. Caspar, add BLM Historic Trails Museum in Casper, WY. for info on Oregon, Mormon, Pony Express, Bozeman Trails. Southwest of Casper on Hwy 220, there is Independence Rock, Mormon Handcart Museum. On I-80, you can find another BLM Trail museum near Winnemucca, NV has a great depiction of the Donner Party disaster. Lots to see take your time.
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer

Fort Laramie

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
We did as much of the Oregon Trail as we could get to about 20 years ago starting in Omaha and ending up at Astoria. My wife was a grade school teacher and wanted material. In those days most of the markers and interesting graves were on private property or way off the major roads. We had a TT at the time and it was difficult to get to some stuff. We have been through there several times since and were amazed at how much on private land is now open to visitors and new information added. There is a book "The Oregon Trail" by Rinker Buck published in 2015 you might want to read if you decide to make the trip. You may want to start in NE and visit the Exhibit that is built over the freeway dedicated to the Oregon Trail. Worth the effort.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Try to stay ahead of the herd; cleanliness don't you know!
Think of how long it would take at 25 miles per day.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Independence Rock

Ayres Natural Bridge

Register Cliff

Names Hill

Fort Caspar.....Casper WY....CG on site
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've been on a few sections, you can still see the wagon tracks in some places.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper