cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for a boondocking rig

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I primarily camp off pavement, and I am beating the snot out of my current Keystone ultralight trailer. I'm shopping for a trailer that is set up better to boondock. That is leading me towards toy haulers.

As far as toys go, I have a 9' kayak, a bicycle, and 2 big dogs. My current tow vehicle is a 2011 F150 with air bags and a max tow package. The truck is paid for and I like it, but I can move up to a bigger truck if it's necessary.

I want to stay in the 25' length area so it's easy to get in and out of the places I like to camp. I'm out in 3 seasons, the trailer is stowed away in the winter. I do road trip as well as camp, but even those road trips end up in boondock camping sites. (I come from a backpacking background)

It is just me and the dogs. Sometimes a friend comes along and needs a place to sleep, but that's rare.

Help steer me. I won't be buying this year, so I have time to shop around. So far, I'm really liking the Desert Fox 21SW. Pros? Cons? Other trailers to look at?

Thanks!
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H
16 REPLIES 16

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Glad your found your rig.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I would update this.

After crawling through just about every 25' trailer and toyhauler in the Boise area, I settled on a Nash 22H. It ticks all of the boxes for me, and my current truck will handle it. The Desert Fox 21sw just felt odd inside, and didn't have the storage the Nash does.

Thanks again for the pointers and giving me a lot to think about!

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like I'm going to have to take a trip to La Grande.

TexasChaps
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at outdoors rv.. our 24rks is holding up very nicely
to off road abuse.. !

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Googled desert fox - its looks great!
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, more and more I'm leaning toward DF. My local dealer has some ordered. When they come in I'll climb around inside a few and finalize my decision.

nvreloader
Explorer
Explorer
Another long time Desert Fox user,
my 28KS as been all over NV, OR and Idaho.

After you have looked at the rest of them,
take the Desert Fox tour, at La Grande, OR,
(when they are building them) call for the build time,
and you'll get the DF TH.

Be aware they are a heavy built TH, but worth it,
look at the 24/27' models, have the front bed room.

Tia,
Don
2010 F-350,6.4PSD, 6spd man trans,CC,SWB,SRW, Caravan camper shell,50 gal bed tank,17,000lb Husky WD hitch,Northwoods 2008 28KS Desert Fox Toy Hauler,2005 Honda 500 Rubicon ATV w/rumble seat,1 Aussie waiting,watching and ridin shotgun on the whole outfit.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
The Desert Fox trailers do hold up very well. They are popular in Idaho for that reason. Like you, many boondock and the goat trails leading back to everyone's favorite spots are never smooth. Also because they are built close, the freight is less for dealers, so that can save you some money if you buy new. As far as the pickup goes, I am a "more is better kind of guy" like many are here. I only own 3500 series trucks (in fairness that is partially driven by business needs, but I doubt it would change my buying habits). However your situation is a bit different. The needs and specification you have laid out will keep you in a smaller trailer. A well speced half ton will pull the size trailer your interested in. If you go HD, in your situation I would buy whatever you happened to get the best deal on (2500 Vs 3500). Both are more truck than you need, but overkill is just about right.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Bedlam
Sometimes it just takes someone looking at the same thing from a different angle to but a twist on your perspective. I always felt there is more than one way to do something, but some ways will work better for you even if I chose differently.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
You've given me a lot to look at and think about. I really appreciate it!

Bedlam
The 3/4t trucks exist because there is 10k lb GVWR threshold when used for business which requires additional expense. The 1t and 3/4t really are the same truck with lower rated tires and and softer springs. Yes, the 3/4t may ride slightly better unloaded than the 1t, but it may be hard to tell the difference unless it is side by side.

The enclosed trailers come in many different lengths and widths. If you go with a 7' wide one, it will only be slightly wider than the truck. Get one with tandem axles that have the springs over the axles for additional ground clearance. A 16' or 18' model with front bath will give you a surprising amount of room due to the open floor design. Adding some windows will keep it from feeling liked you are in a box.

The pod trailers come many sizes today. Some are small enough to be towed by an economy car and have an outdoor kitchen and no bath while others have all the amenities inside and need a 1/2t truck.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
The pod trailers are really cool. 10 years ago I would have been all over one of those. Now, I want a comfy warm place to hang out when it snows in August, or when 60 mph winds start up when I'm on a dry lake bed. I find a nice campsite, and then just take the truck in further, or start hiking. The kayak currently rides on a ladder rack when I'm towing.

Are you talking about the car trailers? I'll give those a look. In fact, my brother-in-law has one he uses when he heads out to Trona.

So far, I haven't run into major clearance issues with my current travel trailer. It's 8' wide and 11' tall. Sure, there's a lot of Get Out And Look when I'm getting into a spot, but I'm used to that.

So, should I go ahead and bump all the way up to a 1 ton truck? I don't think a 3/4 ton is that much better of a ride.

Bedlam
I think you should definitely stay under 25' to reduce how much hangs on either side of the axle. If you travel where it is heavily treed, width and height are also an issue. I really think the quality toy haulers are too much for 1/2t truck payloads because of their tongue weight. A 3/4t or 1t truck will not be that much bigger (although may be taller). It will give a harsher unloaded ride, but provide better trailering.

A Desert Fox would also be one of my recommendations, but I would also look into smaller enclosed trailers with living quarters and flipped axles. Stay away from low slung long race trailers since they have clearance issues even on driveways.

Just an alternate idea: Have you considered a bigger truck with one of the pod style off road trailers. By having a larger truck, you could stow the toys on or in the truck and still have plenty of payload for additional supplies or a supplemental water tank?

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I'm learning the expensive way that light weight trailers, full tanks, and long dirt roads are a bad combination.