cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendations for RV cover

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
I want to start covering my 5th wheel and need some input on what to look for in a cover.

And of course some recommendations.

Thanks

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650
20 REPLIES 20

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
rjsurfer wrote:
I want to start covering my 5th wheel and need some input on what to look for in a cover.

And of course some recommendations.

Thanks

Ron W.

My recommendation is don't cover it.

From my real world experience the cover will burnish the sides and edge of the rig from the wind blowing the cover. I even wrapped mine with commercial grade 24" stretch wrap to try and stop it for about a 2'-3' width all around the camper. No help.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dewzie I just cut a pool noodle and tape it on the extension.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
I covered our trailer last winter with an Adco cover but I found here on the wet West coast that I had a LOT of condensation under the cover at times. Does anyone else find this?

We have put our trailer indoors this winter but would be open to using the cover again if I could get a better handle on the condensation issue.

As for sharp edges including the gutter ends, I cut approximately 1-2" length pieces off a foam pool noodle and duct taped them into place to prevent the cover from wearing through. This worked perfectly.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
dawzie wrote:
I'm also thinking of covering my FW.
I have extended gutter spouts, isn't that going to be a problem with covers ?

Take them off before covering.

That is what I had to do. That is one thing I didn't like about the cover but not a big deal.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
dawzie wrote:

Take them off before covering.

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
OP back, when I was online looking for covers one company sold something to go over the down spouts. I couldn't remember the name of vendor but their out there.

Ron W
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

dawzie
Explorer
Explorer

chesterb
Explorer
Explorer
olfarmer wrote:
P.S. Get one with a zipper near the door so that you can get in without removing the cover.

X2
2011 Dodge 2500 Hemi, Crewcab, 4x4, 4.10
2013 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
P.S. Get one with a zipper near the door so that you can get in without removing the cover.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a Classic and then and ADCO. They both worked OK but the ADCO was better. I think they are easier to take off than put on. Both protected the RV from the sun and some rain, dirt, and tree leaves/pine needles etc. Putting them on was difficult because I had to do it alone and they are heavy, also make sure it is on tight so it doesn't flap in the wind and pad any sharp points on the RV to keep the cover from punctures and tears. If they flap too much they can wear on the finish. Fortunately, I now have a shed to put the motorhome in and it is much easier! If it still had to sit outside I would still cover it. I have covered my last 2 RVs over a period of about 10 years and now I am 72 and am kind of glad not to have to do it anymore but I still could.
Best wishes in what you decide to do!
Ed
:B
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I currently use an Adco cover on my motorhome but used a free standing metal framed cover to park my old trailer under. A drive under cover is the best as you have full access to the rv as well as full coverage protection.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My ADCO always kept the TT clean. It was a joy to take it off in the spring and find a shiny rig waiting for me. (and our winters are WET)
My old TT still looks like new including the graphics. I attribute that all to the ADCO cover that's on it 6 mos of every year.

As for getting it off, that's the easy part. Getting it on is a 20~30 minute wrestling match.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I have tried RV covers and my issues are they let the water and dirt through and the trailer is messy when you take it off. I haven't found one that lasted more than 3 years. So for the past 5 years or so, I have bought a large tarp ( 30 x 20 ) and cover it with that. You can't just fasten it with the grommets alone. I bought 2 or 3" strapping and go completely over the top and under neath. Then use grommets to keep it stable.I pay about $60 each for the tarps and get a year or 2 out of each one. A lot cheaper than trailer covers and your rig looks cleaner in the spring.

jungshin
Explorer
Explorer
i use an billboard tarp. they are giant, and cost about $45.00 off CL. overlap the front back and sides of my 32' RQ class c