allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
installed my residential ref. whats every body using for door locks
20 REPLIES 20

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad

We use those large rubber coated "tie"wrap type things. They go around the handles and one twist keeps them secure. We use them on a few of our cabinets as well. You have to search a bit in lowes or home depot to find them. Our refer is a side by side. A bottom drawer freezer may not work with them. 

H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

johnpeters
Explorer
Explorer

I use child safety strap locks from Jool Baby Products. The adjustable straps on these refrigerator locks enable them to be used on a variety of furniture and appliances.

jms920
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
Piece of plywood and some felt. Really cheap to do.

Dons2346 we are looking to make this type of "lock" can you share the dimensions as our french door refrigerator looks like yours.

Thank you!!!

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
I use the stick-on child latches on our outside kitchen fridge, but visitors have pulled it off several times, thinking it was a door pull. The first one would not stick back on very well, but the newer one has. Idk why, it is the same brand. If it fails I plan to replace the adhesive tape with some heavy duty stuff.
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Southco Latch
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Mondooker wrote:
Hi dons2346,

I like what you did, it's a simple and straight forward way to keep the three doors from flying open. It's also easy to put up and out of the way when not traveling. I also like that "you can't miss it's in place"!

My question is, is the upside down "U" tight enough to keep the three doors completely closed? I can see how it would keep the doors from flying open and that's a BIG deal in and of itself.

But will it keep the three doors completely closed at all times?

Yes it does. The width of the plywood along with the fabric is 5/8" and when pulled down into the handles keeps all doors/drawers shut. I have crossed some pretty rough rough railroad tracks here in Mexico and nothing has come open. Just make sure the "legs" are long enough to go down past the bottom drawer as seen in the picture.

RDG
Explorer
Explorer
I found a travel latch that would work. TOTAL VALUE RV in Elkhart, IN had these in stock so I drove down and picked one up. If you call and order the latch, they will order it from Thor and have it drop shipped to you. There are 2 sizes available. Ours took the shorter one. Thicker doors, the longer latch. Cost was under $8.00 + tax. I did have to make the mounting holes into an oval to move the latch just a bit to the left and painted it white to match the refrigerator. It works great!
Bob

Fridge Lock

Fridge Lock
2001 Forest River Georgetown 346S Motorhome

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi dons2346,

I like what you did, it's a simple and straight forward way to keep the three doors from flying open. It's also easy to put up and out of the way when not traveling. I also like that "you can't miss it's in place"!

My question is, is the upside down "U" tight enough to keep the three doors completely closed? I can see how it would keep the doors from flying open and that's a BIG deal in and of itself.

But will it keep the three doors completely closed at all times?

Mickey53USA
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased the Lamp Lock as well. Saw a Samsung RF18 in a brand new 5th wheel and that is what was used by the manufacturer. Probably adhere mine with 3M high strength tape.
Michael
2009 Destination 37G. Cummins 6.7L 340 HP, Allison 6 Speed, Freightliner XCS - 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited "Toad"

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't say what size fridge you installed, but on our top freezer 10 cu ft residential fridge, I used a pair of common window latches from Home Depot to lock the doors while underway.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II

I use the Lamp lock linked to above as well. It might not work well for a French Door fridge but it's the bees knees for 2 door units.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We use stretchy rubber or long pieces of velcro, lots of locks don't work with the bottom freezer. A long bungee will work (not the super strong black ones), just use caution not to scratch the door with the ends.
2014 American Eagle

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Mine came with a toggle to hold the freezer shut and latches on the top ot the fridge doors. Screws were too short when doors were full and easily pulled the latches out. I then wrapped the doors in velcrow which has worked great.

MrWizard
We use baby cabinet safety locks

What you use, depends on your doors and any handles
Over under or side by side
Ours is over under, an no external handles, just niches you grab

There is a thread here someplace, with lots of pictures
We use a strap type snap lock, this folds around from the side to the front of the doors so they can't come open
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s