cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Toy Hauler and New to Camping

StiltzM109R
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys. I'm Mike, I just bought a 2014 Echo Bandit 250QB Toy Hauler. Very good condition. Couple minor issues (tail light cracked, dinette table missing. No leaks, clean inside.

Looking for checklists on what to pack, what equipment I need, how to de-winterize, how to winterize.

I've camped in tents but I've been wanting a toy hauler to take the motorcycle with me. So now I need to learn how to maintain everything, use everything and the proper ways to do things.
2014 Echo Bandit 250QB Toy Hauler
12 REPLIES 12

Y-Guy
StiltzM109R most all RV manuals for trailers are just a combination of brochures for the various items; microwave, water heater, etc. This is a very frequently asked question, but only a few manufactures actually produce a good bound owners manual. My PopUp had a decent one, but my next 3 trailers didn’t, my current rig came with an outstanding owners manual though.

Once temperatures stay above freezing play around with the by-pass options. You can hook up your hose and see if it fills your water heater. Unless you have a manual or the dealer shows you it’s just a matter of playing with it (and the marking) the switch locations for by-pass or regular flow. The low point drains may or may not have a switch, some just have caps.

Echo RV is gone, the bank forced them to close back in 2013. If there were more owners I’d say contact them, but I could only find one discussion on here.

Surge suppressor is a good idea; you can pop that topic in the search and read a whole lot about the various options and cost/benefits. You will want adapters but the most common at an RV park is a 30amp plug, but having a 50amp to 30amp isn’t a bad idea, though I don’t have one and I’ve never needed one. I do have a 30amp to standard plug adapter and I use that all the time at home.

Do you have an RV park near by? I’d start by camping in the driveway, then go to a local park. Make a list of things you need/want. Keep in mind you can over pack too, so take your time and don’t just go on a buying spree.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:

Start out with stuff from home, pots/pans/dishes then you'll see what you need and can shop at the second hand store or discount store.

Probably good advice IF you "camp" a lot.

I don't spend a lot of days in the RV overall so my cooking consists of: Microwave and grill. Paper or plastic utensils (recycled when possible). I've had mine for 3 years now and have yet to wash a dish.

With most things, one size does NOT fit all and it depends on personal preference.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

mr__old_style
Explorer
Explorer
Are you married? Does your wife want new stuff (pots, pans, dishes) Kill two birds with one stone, new stuff for the house old out in camper. Note pad is one thing you'll use every time you go out for the first couple years, you all ways think of something you need once your out there. Do you have hose for filling tank or hooking up to campground water, pressure regulator for it. Sewer hose. Electrical cord, 50-30 amp adapter, I carry 3 or 4 different adapters, for different sites and hookups.
Have fun! and Happy RVing 🙂

StiltzM109R
Explorer
Explorer
Good Idea! I have a bunch of tupperware and stuff like that. Just need to get **** like plates and stuff.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
StiltzM109R wrote:
Those are all good points. This is good. I'm trying to read and absorb as much information as I can before I go and start ordering a mess of camping equipment.

Start out with stuff from home, pots/pans/dishes then you'll see what you need and can shop at the second hand store or discount store. Spend good money on pots and pans, just remember you don't need a whole set. cheap ones scratch easily and are hard to clean, waste of money. Make sure you put something inside when you nest them to keep from scratching.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

StiltzM109R
Explorer
Explorer
Those are all good points. This is good. I'm trying to read and absorb as much information as I can before I go and start ordering a mess of camping equipment.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Equipment will be based on what you are going to do.

I don't camp in RV parks, so don't know anything about equipment for that.

I take lots of tools.
I have a compressor, nitrogen tank, all of my hand tools, oil, air filters, belts, alternators, helmets, flags, anti freeze, fuses, relays.
For inside stuff, all plastic utensils, paper plates, red solo cups. Blankets, sheets, flash lights, batteries, DVDs and a TV, flavor wave oven, goggles, coats, beanies.

Proper ways to do things:
Always check tire pressure before each trip.
Propane level.
Gas in toy hauler.
Water in toy hauler.
Give fridge over night to cool down before packing cold foods.

My inputs.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

StiltzM109R
Explorer
Explorer
No other answers or advice?

StiltzM109R
Explorer
Explorer
There is a water heater / pump bypass or clean out valve on the side of the trailer inside of a panel. I know on the water heater / pump there are some shut off valves. It's currently winterized. When I went to pick it up, they did go through everything quickly. They also flushed out all the tanks, tested everything and re-winterized it. I have a owners book for it in the camper.

I will have to search online to see if I can find any manuals or anything. There is a company called Echo that makes trailers. Wonder if it's the same company? Wonder where else I could find information?

Also question on surge protectors. I have a 30 amp trailer. Do I need just a 30 amp protector? Should I get some kind of plug adapter or are all RV park hookups the same?

Y-Guy
As you probably know Echo RV is out of business. I wish I could say there was a big user base, but in my search I've only found one other that was looking at them. That said most things like winterizing an RV are universal but figuring out what you have first is the challenge. You need to explore to see if you have a water heater bypass if you use the pink RV Antifreeze. Another way is that can blow the lines out with an air compressor. You can search on the topic and find a lot of information that will help you to do this.

As far as packing it's really up to you. But you can find a list here. There is also a dewinterlize list on that site too.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Congrats!
Many new RV'rs will camp out in their driveway to get an idea of all they need.

Enjoy the rig!

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
As far as "what to pack, what equipment I need, how to de-winterize, how to winterize." it's pretty much the same as any small-ish travel trailer.
That applies to general maintenance items too.
A little forum searching/browsing would save re-hashing all of that yet again.

Just one thing that might not come up in other conversations:
My trailer builder cautioned me to NOT load/unload with the hitch disconnected.....because the extra weight on the back will raise the front off the ground and maybe allow it to move.
That is unlikely to happen with the much larger trailer you have, I think, but something to consider.

Note: Toy haulers come in TT, A, C and 5th wheel models. It might be good to mention which kind you have in future posts.....or in your profile.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"