cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jayco vs keystone passport Grand Touring

DANSKIR
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys. We're new to the travel trailer world and could really use some advice. We're looking for the best quality Ultra Lite possible that has a sofa, bunk beds and dinette. It has to be around 5300 lbs. dry because apparently we're somewhat limited with our tow vehicle (Chevy Tahoe w/ max tow package).

we're looking at the Jayco 25bh jay feather http://www.keystonerv.com/passport/models/2670bh/model-mobile

And the Keystone Passport grand touring 2670bh
http://www.keystonerv.com/passport/models/2670bh/model-mobile

Plan to have this for at least 10-12 yrs and really looking for the best quality given our requirements. Is there one you guys think is preferrable? Another brand or model?

Thanks for the advice.
10 REPLIES 10

ng2951
Explorer
Explorer
One of the things to check on Jayco and Keystone is what you can and cannot get to when the slideout is in. It looks like you might have acccess to the bathroom and galley. If that isn't important to you than no problems.
Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Chloe, Belle, & Danke
2017 GD Imagine 2800BH
2017 53 days camping
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ Duramax Diesel
Honda 2000sThe Bayou Bounty Hunters Cowboy Club
The Single Action Shooting Society

ng2951
Explorer
Explorer
We have had our 2800BH for several months now. I have few complaints.

The thing I wish Grand Design would do is put closeable louvres on the vents. The air system does not balance well, but works just fine. The worse is when the AC comes on while you are showering. It really pumps a lot of cold air into the bathroom.

The entertainment system would be the first thing I would replace. The Furrion is a lousy system and the TCL TV has little going for it other than it is big. Why Grand Design does not put in an HDMI Blu-Ray player is known only to the gods at Grand Design.

What the Imagine line has that makes it wonderful is the huge forward hold under the master bedroom. It is so tall you could easily keep your Honda 2000s in there upright. I have never seen a TT with a compartment that large. The 5ver utility pedestal is a nice touch, and it has 120VAC on the pedestal. That makes it very easy to charge your drill or run an air pump.

With the slideout in you have full access to galley and bathroom. Master bedroom is blocked, but the bunks are available. You are going to need to add cushions to all the beds as the padding is quite thin.

Clothes hanging space is pretty marginal but rather typical on trailers this size and configuration.

Now, GD has added a new trailer designated 2670RK (I think). It has dual slideouts at the rear of the trailer. Makes for a cavernous living area with popup TV and a kitchen island I believe. I think it has a bigger closet but the documentation is not clear. You cannot get to the galley with the slideout in, but the bathroom and bedroom is accessible. If you rarely travel with extra people it could be very nice.

Internal storage other than hanging space is not bad. Considering the bunk space and the foldup bunk you really can carry a good bit. The galley area can accept a rather large amount of cookware. The cupboards are rather large and pretty. You would still need to secure glassware or anything hard. Otherwise you might knock out the glass windows in the cupboards.

The sink is great but I wish it were steel and not plastic. The sink facet/wand combo makes it look luxurious, however, I wish I had a place for a water filter.

I wish they had put some plastic around the stove so that splatter will stay of the walls.

The problem with all these trailers are 12 volt outlets. There are none. I was going to string some in, but I realized just buying a portable 12 pack, would cost less than stringing 12 volts and lot more practical.

The bathroom is great. GD does not put in a toilet paper holder. They let you figure out where to put one. When running on shore power you can switch in gas and electric on the water tank and you never run out of hot water. Storage in the bathroom is exceptional, but the open cabinet by sink tends to let items bounce out and roll under the bathroom door. You have a porcelain toilet which is a great touch of elegance.

I have only recently decided I like the outside kitchen. In the past I regard these as a waste of space. But I started to realize I could put the larger pots and pans out there, plus all the soft drinks in the fridge. Since we keep the trailer at home, when the pardette goes to school she can grab a a coke or two right out of the fridge.

People who have added ladders will sometimes put their gas grill on the later and pipe it up to the outside kitchen.

The antenna is by Antennatek. It is a Winegard clone. I am sure it is cheaper, but I do not think its performance is less than the Winegard. When I replaced the AntennaTek with Winegard Rayzar, I discovered the antenna connection on AntennaTek was loose. I haven't check any of the other ones, but I expect they are likely loose as well. I would make sure they are all tight during inspection.

The TCL TV apparently lacks audio output. So besides the stinky Furrion entertainment system, the TV leaves a lot to be desired.

It is wired for a wireless backup cam. There are two versions: one is backup only; the other you can use while driving as well.

It really is a very nice trailer and you will not be disappointed.
Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Chloe, Belle, & Danke
2017 GD Imagine 2800BH
2017 53 days camping
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ Duramax Diesel
Honda 2000sThe Bayou Bounty Hunters Cowboy Club
The Single Action Shooting Society

DANSKIR
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. We're probably going to pull the trigger on it shortly

aclay
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about the ultralights. We owned a Jayco 26BH and it was built pretty good, we only had it for about 2 years as it was just too small for us, so we bought a Sprinter 311. I haven't had any major issues with the Sprinter, but so many, many small issues. I wouldn't even consider another keystone product. I would have looked at a Jayco again, but they just got bought by Thor (owner of Keystone).
2012 Chevrolet 3500 Duramax CC SRW 4x4, 2013 Sprinter 311BHS, DW, 3 boys, & 2 dogs...
Campingourway Blog

hittintheroad2g
Explorer
Explorer
DANSKIR, that is the exact Imagine that my husband and I have decided we are getting next. We had never heard of Grand Design either, until we went to a dealership looking at something else and they showed us this one and we feel in love. It's all of the little things that Grand Design includes as standard. We get excited when we go out and see a Grand Design product in a park, it's rare, especially the Imagine, we usually see a 5th wheel, but everyone we've talked to says they absolutely love it. If they've ever had an issue no matter how small (and any issue anyone has told us about was something small like a broken piece in the fridge or something like that) they've said the customer service was on top of it, they've sent out replacement parts quickly and handled the situation. We just recently went to an RV show and came across some other brands that are starting to design their travel trailers like the Imagine, I mean almost identical, but it still comes down to the quality. My husband and I love the layout of the Imagine and he especially loves the high-end feel/finishes with Grand Design. I'm sorry I know I'm rambling, but we ended up talking to a dealer that knew a lot about the company and the trailer and really gave us an in-depth look at all the little things about Grand Design that just put them a notch above the rest. I'm really hoping that we'll be upgrading next year. Good luck in your search, I hope you find the one that's right for you.

DANSKIR
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. We like the grand design Imagine 2800bh more than any of the others. Never heard of this brand. Any opinions about it?

DANSKIR
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Billy. That was timely. Actually on our way to a dealership that happens to have that grand design model right now.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Design Imagine
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

DANSKIR
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Soundguy! ๐Ÿ™‚

We're also trying to figure out the differences in construction quality, insulation, etc..

Thx

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Links ...

Jayco JayFeather 25BH

Keystone Passport 2670BHWE ... corrected because the OP is in California. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380