cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

weight distibuing hitch

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer
I was at the rv show here in Chicago over the weekend and looking at a travel trailer. I know about the payload thing when it comes to trailer weight and pretty much had a trailer in mind (a frbs21 flagstaff) gvw comes out to just under 6,000(4700 dry) and tongue weight at about 500. I feel ok towing this with my 1500 ram. Anyway this other trailer my wife started to fall in love with was a bit heavier but the hitch weight jumps to almost 700(dry). Sales guy tells me that with a weight distributing hitch it would be like zero on the hitch. Now I'm not that wet behind the ears and proceeded to walk away.

Other sales guy is in front of a 8,000 pound (dry) trailer and tells me that a 1500 can handle it. I suggested that one would need to replace the TV after a short period of time. He proceeded to tell me that with air bags and this or that that it would be no problem. Almost as if this large trailer could be towed with a yugo.

I know I'm new to the travel trailer world but do I have stupid written on my forehead or something?
15 REPLIES 15

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
mowermech wrote:
A properly built, properly loaded trailer, on proper tires, towed by a proper tow vehicle (also on proper tires), should not sway.
If a sway event does occur, find out why and fix the problem.
NEVER attempt to apply a "band-aid" solution to a sway problem until you have found the underlying problem and fixed it. THEN you can install a "sway control" gimmick if you so desire.

I agree with much of what you said HOWEVER if a sway event does occur and you don't have one installed or set up, then it is TOO LATE to do so. A person may not need one until that animal or something else suddenly appears 100 feet in front of them.

I suggest you include the advice to install one "just in case" and not to install one later if desired. That is like closing the barn door after the horses have fled. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
A properly built, properly loaded trailer, on proper tires, towed by a proper tow vehicle (also on proper tires), should not sway.
If a sway event does occur, find out why and fix the problem.
NEVER attempt to apply a "band-aid" solution to a sway problem until you have found the underlying problem and fixed it. THEN you can install a "sway control" gimmick if you so desire.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Larry-D
Explorer
Explorer
My apologies for also highjacking the thread. I have a question related to the previous post regarding not having to use the WD hitch on a heavy truck. I'm pulling a 28' TT with a RAM 3500 DRW, diesel. If everything levels out without the WD hitch and pulling is good what about sway control?

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
SweetLou wrote:
Not hijacking the thread, but a stupid question here. I have a 2013 Dodge cumins dually with airbags. Would I ever need a WDH if I towed a travel trailer? I wouldn't think so but I have never really done that before.

I can only relate personal experience.
Many years ago, we had a 19 foot TT, one of the old quite heavy ones. Fully self-contained, of course.
I had three vehicles set up to tow it:
A 1970 Jeep Wagoneer, 360 V8, automatic.
A 1976 Ford E150 Club Wagon, 351M V8, automatic.
A 1976 Dodge Ram W250, 400 V8, 4X4, Automatic.

I had a WD hitch, but I only used it when towing the trailer with the Wagoneer. It was absolutely necessary to use the WD hitch then, to keep the back bumper off the ground, and the headlights out of the treetops.
I never used the WD when towing the trailer with the Ford or the Dodge. It just wasn't needed.
Again, that is merely my experience.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Not hijacking the thread, but a stupid question here. I have a 2013 Dodge cumins dually with airbags. Would I ever need a WDH if I towed a travel trailer? I wouldn't think so but I have never really done that before.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Big1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Give us more info on your 1/2 ton, right now we are just shooting in the dark.
2022 Ram Laramie 3500 6.7L CTD CCLB
2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Well, actually, they are NOT telling lies! No, No, No! Not at all. That 1500 WILL tow it! Yes sir, by-golly it will! But???? how far before something goes "bam!" So they really are telling you the truth.... just not the whole truth!

Your jesting post, really does tell the truth....Yes, the truck can tow it, but should it??? Plus, how long will it be able to do it???

A 300 lb man can ride a 5 hp mini-bike, doesn't mean that mini-bike ain't gonna smoke a clutch much faster than it would with a 65 lb kid riding it. Maybe the 300 lb man would be better of on a trike, with a big ol' V-Twin.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
While the WDH does not zero out weight applied at the rear end, it does in fact transfer hundreds of pounds.

And just 200-300lbs of transferred weight off the rear end to the trailer axles can be the difference of being within spec capacities and being over.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
I think the reason automotive mfgs make 1/2 ton trucks is so they can sell you two trucks instead of only one. You buy the 1/2 ton when you want someplace to put your bicycles or tow a jet ski. Then when you really want to haul something, they get to sell you another truck that will really haul something.

Bill

Doesn't matter that my daily driver has adequate room for a crossbox full of tools, plus adequate space (payload) to haul a days worth of materials to the job site.

I shall immediately trade it in on a 3/4 ton, because while my trucks 1668 lbs of payload is adequate to haul our 10' kayaks in the 8' bed, we simply do not have enough truck to tow the TT.

Maybe I should see if this guy will sell me the MUCH BETTER 2500, that I need for hauling.

Vanished wrote:
No, my 2500 is the wimp with it's 1424 lb payload - not yours! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Bashing the 1/2 ton aside...OP, you seem to have a grasp on the capabilities of your truck. Stay within those boundries, no matter what some salesperson tries to talk you in to.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the reason automotive mfgs make 1/2 ton trucks is so they can sell you two trucks instead of only one. You buy the 1/2 ton when you want someplace to put your bicycles or tow a jet ski. Then when you really want to haul something, they get to sell you another truck that will really haul something.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Well, actually, they are NOT telling lies! No, No, No! Not at all. That 1500 WILL tow it! Yes sir, by-golly it will! But???? how far before something goes "bam!" So they really are telling you the truth.... just not the whole truth!

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I know both of these salesmen. They use to sell bridges in Brooklyn.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep reading and searching old posts on this site for your answers--pay NO attention to salesmen of either trucks or trailers.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Salesman is either a liar or just doesn't have a clue.