cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chicago RV show- 1/2 tons can tow 8500lb 5th wheels.

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
I visit this show yearly. I hate that it's hard to find anything, but enjoy looking at the campers nonetheless.

Lot of 5th wheels there this year, seemed quite a bit more than previous years. Walked by the General RV section and all their 5th wheels had pictures of half ton trucks with "your truck can tow this" wording, followed by the dry weights of the campers. 7500, 8000, 8500lbs :E

I can only imagine what the pin weight of a 31' 5th wheel ready to camp is. Scary advertising out there.
24 REPLIES 24

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
Then on the flip side we have 1/2 ton truck owners who did their home work on their 1/2 truck weights and report no problems and a very good tow.

And on the flip-flip side we have 1/2 ton truck owners who did NOT do their homework, and report no problems and a very good tow.

Apparently, it does not matter.

And flipping it more again we have 1/2 ton owners towing 5th wheels that have issues but don't report problems because they don't belong to RV forums.

That, plus most people don't realize they are having problems until they step to a proper truck.

I was one of those that thought my Tundra towed great because of the power and braking capability of the truck. Once I stepped into the 2500 I realized how much my Tundra was lacking. I now pass semi trucks without stressing out and worrying about how to load the trailer perfectly to keep it under control. Hey, as they saying goes, we have all been there at some point.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
Then on the flip side we have 1/2 ton truck owners who did their home work on their 1/2 truck weights and report no problems and a very good tow.

And on the flip-flip side we have 1/2 ton truck owners who did NOT do their homework, and report no problems and a very good tow.

And flipping it more again we have 1/2 ton owners towing 5th wheels that have issues but don't report problems because they don't belong to RV forums.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
JIMNLIN wrote:

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
RoyBell wrote:
I visit this show yearly. I hate that it's hard to find anything, but enjoy looking at the campers nonetheless.

Lot of 5th wheels there this year, seemed quite a bit more than previous years. Walked by the General RV section and all their 5th wheels had pictures of half ton trucks with "your truck can tow this" wording, followed by the dry weights of the campers. 7500, 8000, 8500lbs :E

I can only imagine what the pin weight of a 31' 5th wheel ready to camp is. Scary advertising out there.

Not a problem, if the hitch weight( pin weight) is reasonable, but the 3 litre Diesel below going nowhere if it is too heavy.

Again a 3 litre Diesel but hitch weight vastly greater.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
I live just off I-40 about 25 miles from the intersection with I-95. I travel I-40 a lot so I get to see many people headed to the beach with their RVs.

Although not extremely popular, 1/2 tons with 5ers is becoming more common. 5ers are getting lighter and 1/2 tons are getting bigger carrying capacities.

The ones I have seen look very nice and stable. No heavy sag or anything. I see no real problem with it.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyBell wrote:
Slow around here in winter time. Figured it was time for a good debate.

Weather is great in Florida... my RV has wheels, I rolled it down south for an 18 day vacation!!!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Slow around here in winter time. Figured it was time for a good debate.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
This type" look what I saw" tread gets beat to death way too often. :h

Its the 1/2 ton truck owners responsibility to see that he has the right size 1/2 ton truck to safely do the job. We can't always blame someone else (a dealer or the trailer mfg or the truck mfg) for our mistakes.

Trailer dealers and trailer mfg know 1/2 ton trucks come with all kinds of capacities such as;
GVWR up to 8600 lbs.
RAWR up to 6000 lbs.
3000+ lb payloads.
11k tow ratings..

The OP says ""dry weights of the campers. 7500, 8000, 8500lbs"" and thinks according to pics the trucks were 1/2 tons.

The F150HD with a 8200-7850 GVWR and 4800 lb RAWR has payload up to 3000 lbs and 11k lb tow ratings.

Other 1/2 ton trucks out here;
'00-'06 1500HD GM 6.0 8600 GVWR....6000 RAWR ..3000 lb payloads

1500 Mega Cab Dodge 5.7 hemi with a 8510 GVWR and 6000 lb RAWR.

And the newer 1500 GM with the 5.3 or 6.2 engine 7600 GVWR and 4300 RAWR has 2000-2200 lb payloads.

So yeah there are 1/2 ton truck out here that can safely tow those size 5th wheel trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Izzy211
Explorer
Explorer
I am one of those who fell into the 1/2 ton towable traps. I traded a class C motorhome in on a Starcraft Ultrlite FW. I bought not thinking it through. I had a 2013 F150 CC with 6.5 foot fed and the 5.0 motor w3.73 rear ( I think). After the initial tow I installed air bags and upgraded tires. Pulled again and just did not feel comfortable with how the FW pushed the truck around. The 5.0 motor was running with its tongue hanging out. Must mention FW dry weight is 8500 lbs with max load as 10500 lbs. Upon checking payload which was 1800 lbs pin weight was 1650 lbs which put me just 150 lbs short of payload not including fuel and passengers,not good. Also was over by ~1100 lbs on tow capacity. Just too much on the drive train for me not to mention the weight. Long story short i bought a very gently used 2016 F350 CC with 6.7 PSD. This also has 11500 GVW for the new truck.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
CKNSLS wrote:
The payloads on some of the half-tons now are at 2,000 (plus) pounds. So yes-they could tow a fifth wheel at 8,000 pounds guys.

It's a new world.......

Sure they can...if you spec a configuration NOBODY orders (2WD regular cab with HD towing package and no option), carry no passengers, and are built like a jockey!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
So sue the dealer for false advertising if you think you got a case. Posting the 1 millionth thread about dealers and 1/2 ton towable is like peeing in the wind.

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
RoyBell wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
I agree with Roy. Stay real world when discussing weight.

Would be nice if Roy did also most 5ers are closer to 20 of total weight.
So .20 X 9,500=1,900#.

I'd be curious to see how many people actually weighed their pin weights vs taking the manufacturers claim. One thing to keep in mind is that the front storage bunk pretty much puts all the weight on the pin and very little on the axles due to the placement. It's easy to throw 400 lbs of "stuff" in the front storage which will eat that 5 percent up pretty quickly. Then you fill up your propane tanks and anything else at the front of the rig and I would say 25 percent is a much safer number to follow.

I will ask if you own a fiver?
The location of a 5ers basement will usually place less than 50 of the weight of items added to the basement on to the pin at least half goes on to the axles.
I fight to get my pin up to 20 with a full 8' wide closet at the nose and the basement.
I actually find the best ride with our 5er, is with the FW full which in forward of the axles.

As to 5th wheels and 5ers, in three years of Park Hosting I have seen it all. Most of the 150/1500/Tundras do very well.
Even if over GVWR, if withing axle and tire Far SAFER than that same TV pulling a long TT.

Keystone has an X-Light that is 32'+ long and has a GVWR of 10,000# well within the pulling capacity of a EB 150, and if Max Payload likely with in axle, and maybe GVWR.
Not that I recommenced towing over GVWR, just that my knowledge of physics sees it as safer than a 35' TT weighing 8,500# wagging the dog!

I do not have a fiver. I do have a couple that I like and they are in the 25 range for pin.

Again, payload is only half of the story. Axle and GVWR are other factors. Also, lets not forget how overall vehicle weight affects pulling a trailer. Once I moved into a 2500 and my TV weight went to almost 8K lbs my "scary" bumper pull trailer is hardly noticeable now. I definitely noticed it with my Tundra, even with the high tow ratings it had. Once you add vehicle weight, the whole towing experience is improved. Every one says the 5th wheels are so nice to tow in comparison. I am sure they are, but bumper pulls with the right setup are a breeze to tow too.

My brother in law thinks their SantaFe can pull this little 6K lb TT he keeps lusting over because they are "cross over tow capable". I keep telling him no way is that happening but he argues all the time that it the signs say it will be ok.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
The payloads on some of the half-tons now are at 2,000 (plus) pounds. So yes-they could tow a fifth wheel at 8,000 pounds guys.

It's a new world.......

True, but there's way more that don't have that high of a payload rating. Those guys get suckered in to the 1/2 ton can tow this BS, only to find out that they're over the payload after they load up.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RoyBell wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
I agree with Roy. Stay real world when discussing weight.

Would be nice if Roy did also most 5ers are closer to 20 of total weight.
So .20 X 9,500=1,900#.

I'd be curious to see how many people actually weighed their pin weights vs taking the manufacturers claim. One thing to keep in mind is that the front storage bunk pretty much puts all the weight on the pin and very little on the axles due to the placement. It's easy to throw 400 lbs of "stuff" in the front storage which will eat that 5 percent up pretty quickly. Then you fill up your propane tanks and anything else at the front of the rig and I would say 25 percent is a much safer number to follow.

I will ask if you own a fiver?
The location of a 5ers basement will usually place less than 50% of the weight of items added to the basement on to the pin at least half goes on to the axles.
I fight to get my pin up to 20% with a full 8' wide closet at the nose and the basement.
I actually find the best ride with our 5er, is with the FW full which in forward of the axles.

As to 5th wheels and 5ers, in three years of Park Hosting I have seen it all. Most of the 150/1500/Tundras do very well.
Even if over GVWR, if withing axle and tire Far SAFER than that same TV pulling a long TT.

Keystone has an X-Light that is 32'+ long and has a GVWR of 10,000# well within the pulling capacity of a EB 150, and if Max Payload likely with in axle, and maybe GVWR.
Not that I recommenced towing over GVWR, just that my knowledge of physics sees it as safer than a 35' TT weighing 8,500# wagging the dog!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"