cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rv park under 50k updates

elialane7
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys. Came here some odd months ago about my two best friends who are trying to build an rv campground in south Texas under 50k. Some ppl thought I was trolling bc of how crazy it seemed. I wish.

Here are the vague updates. I've since grown somewhat apart from them so I only hear the occasional updates probably sugar coating the real situation ...

1. Out of money as suspected. 50k went to installing the electric pole (but not the wires to the units . So no electricity still). And installing water pipes and a water system ....

But no drainage or septic system . They said they can get water in but can't get waste out. Their solution is to build some kind of compost system?!

Fifteen lots expected but now they say 5 lots. And no they haven't been set up or any gravel or any markers for them ...

Is a compost system really feasible here ?!
15 REPLIES 15

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't this the CG that is on a flood plain? Come clean OP - either your a participant in this wacky project, or you are the investor.

Otherwise, why continue to fret about something some distant used to be friends of yours are doing?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
elialane7 wrote:

Is a compost system really feasible here ?!

Short answer: no.

Slightly longer answer: nope.

Composting could take care of food scraps (and some similar biodegradable materials) and, with the proper equipment, human waste. It's not possible to compost gray water, rather by definition--composting is breaking down solids, not water. Probably the closest thing to "composting" gray water (and other liquid sewage) would be a septic system of some sort.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like they had no planning as to costs.When I built my house in 1977,I had all the costs for plumbing, heating,electric,lumber permits etc. And still there were somethings I missed but for the most part had all the costs covered. Today, it is so much more expensive for residential and commercial ventures because of all the regulations we have. In Pa for examples, you need to submit plans that are reviewed by the township or borough engineers which you need to pay for.And that is way before you move any ground. I would suspect that they can't just can't do what they want in respect to the sewer. Sewer and storm water are the big things now days and can get expensive. I wish them luck but is osunds as if they are in way over their heads.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine built a new campground from scratch a few years ago. His inital budget going in was $48,000. His final cost, exclusive of ongoing maintenance costs, etc., was $56,000. That's PER SITE!
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
We have a lot of forested dry land. I thought about doing an RV park here and the cost turned out to be astronomical.

We are close to power and have city water, but I would have to build the disposal system.
the initial plan was for only 15 slips.
For 50 Amp unmetered we were into 30K+ copper.
Water would be 42K because the township required that we put an hydrant 1000ft from the road (classed as dewllings).
I got several quotes on an huge septic system and they ranged from 50 to 80k for some variation.

And all this to park coaches for 30 to 40$/night for 4 maybe six months a year.

Texas might have more year, but it still does not work well for an FHU park.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully they have found some more money. They are going to need it to pay the fines for that "Compost" waste system. It's stupid things like this that cost everyone in the long run. It adds another layer to regulations. It makes legitimate investors run away from RV Parks. If this dump ever opens for business, it will sour RVers on private parks. And they will probably be the low cost park in the area so all the legitimate parks will get an earful of how they are the most expensive parks in the area. As Gene Kranz of NASA said regarding Apollo 13: "Failure is not an option". In this case it was inevitable

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
No idea what start up costs were initially but 50K sounds severely underfunded to change an-un developed lot to me.
Wish them well in their endeavor.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Completely forgot about this venture (the previous posts). Sounds like it's still chugging along. Keep us updated. Doesn't sound like any of the previous opinions would change.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
OutdoorPhotographer wrote:
SBA wants a business plan - or at least did once upon a time. I doubt there is one given the two threads I've read on this venture.

That's for sure, unless it's "You'll get pie in the sky, when you die."

Here is the link for the people they need to contact:

SCORE
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
SBA wants a business plan - or at least did once upon a time. I doubt there is one given the two threads I've read on this venture.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Was there a business plan with a budget?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
5 sites or even 15 sites doesn't seem like it is going to pay enough to justify their outlay. They should talk to the SBA, they have retired execs who volunteer to help people get a business going.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Thoughts: GoFundMe account or try to find some venture-type capital. Agree with WZ above-you can't control the amount of water that will go into the system.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]