cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Taking dog with us on a cross country tour

Amrya
Explorer
Explorer
We are about to undertake a 9 week cross country trip. We may or may not be taking our border collie with us. .
Are you able to leave your dog in crate in an ac trailer for a few hours as you explore. Or is this discouraged by most camp grounds?
34 REPLIES 34

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Deb&Ed and Pawz. I know for a fact ours do not bark when we leave them. As I said in my other post, I let the camp host know when we leave them in case something happens. It gives us peace of mind. My wife claims I can talk the bark off of a pine tree so obviously I always know my neighbors pretty well too:B
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you!! Sometimes, it gets tiring, being painted with the same broad brush.

No painting intended.

My guess is anyone hanging out and asking questions on an RV'ing pet forum is likely to be a conscientious pet owner.

I would like to think so but after some of the threads I've seen I'm not so sure!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Pawz4me wrote:

Agreed. But I'd also venture a guess that those are NOT the people coming here to ask if it's okay to leave a dog in their RV. ๐Ÿ˜‰ On the contrary. My guess is anyone hanging out and asking questions on an RV'ing pet forum is likely to be a conscientious pet owner.

Thank you!! Sometimes, it gets tiring, being painted with the same broad brush. A conscientious dog owner will use whatever resources it takes to make sure their dogs are quiet - and there are plenty of ways to do that. My previous Cattle Dog (R.I.P.) might bark in protest as we left - so he wore a no-bark collar. My other dogs just aren't "barkers" until there is a real, significant threat.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
My dog has traveled over 30,000 miles with me, and I haven't had any troubles. We've been to Alaska and back one and a half times, California and back, out east, down south, all over.

My dog is one of the main reasons I bought a trailer. I hate leaving him "at home", locked in a box at a kennel 23 hours a day. That's just CRUEL. Even the best kennels are still just a locked box. I wanted the dog for companionship, so he's my companion, and goes where I go. If someplace is not friendly to dogs (rare that I've experienced), they don't receive or deserve my patronage.

Love this, same reason we "vacation" by RV !!!

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
LOL! I'd venture a guess that 99.5% of those who take their dogs (and will leave them at the campground) wouldn't go to anywhere near those lengths to ensure their furbabies don't bark.

Agreed. But I'd also venture a guess that those are NOT the people coming here to ask if it's okay to leave a dog in their RV. ๐Ÿ˜‰ On the contrary. My guess is anyone hanging out and asking questions on an RV'ing pet forum is likely to be a conscientious pet owner.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, at the moment 7
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

kars
Explorer
Explorer
We plan to travel with 5 small dogs this summer, anyone travel with multiple dogs?

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
It's really so very easy to know with just a modicum of effort that I'm always a bit surprised and puzzled when someone even mentions it.

LOL! I'd venture a guess that 99.5% of those who take their dogs (and will leave them at the campground) wouldn't go to anywhere near those lengths to ensure their furbabies don't bark.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
It depends on the dog. A high energy, high strung dog who barks at the slightest outside noise would be a problem. A number of times we have been near an RV with a dog or dogs that would start barking as soon as the owners left and not stop until they returned.

Our dog (and previous dog) is an older Golden. And a slug. When we leave, she goes into the darkest corner of the bedroom, tucks her face under the bedspread, and sleeps. And that is where we find her when we return. Even in a noisy park.

This^ When I was a kid, we had a family dog that went everywhere with us, cross country. When sightseeing he would curl up and sleep, or look out a window until we returned. Our current family dog is a spastic mess. The time we took her camping she started barking the second we left the trailer. White noise, radio, fan, didn't matter. She would not stop. Fortunately this was just a weekend relaxing trip so we took her with us in the car for the short errand we were going on. I was hoping for a family dog to go with us like when I was a kid, what we got was a hyper dog who throws up in the car and barks non stop the second we close the door. This is not fair to her or the neighbors. So, from then on, we have a friend house sit when we are gone and she stays home.
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Funny thing about crates....we thought we might want to train a new puppy adopted while we were in Branson with a crate...he was 4-5 months old. So we got a rather large crate, set it up in a room and I can't keep my oldest Cavalier (13+ year old) out of it, (keeps her safe from the other 3 dogs running about). It's her go to place, she just loves it...sleeps a good part of the day and all night in it. Who would have thought!! ๐Ÿ™‚
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:

Have to agree. If you aren't there, how do you really know that the dog doesn't bark?

There are numerous very easy ways to know.

Ask your neighbors. Frequently (not just the first time or two you take the dog).
Use a voice activated recorder or a video recorder.
There's software you can buy that will tell you.

And there are more high tech ways like setting up a camera you can view from your phone.

It's really so very easy to know with just a modicum of effort that I'm always a bit surprised and puzzled when someone even mentions it.

As far as crating--I firmly believe knowing how to tolerate a crate is a skill every dog needs. You never know when the dog may get injured so that crate rest is absolutely necessary. To my way of thinking knowing how to be crated is a required skill for a well trained dog just as much as knowing sit and stay and how to walk nicely on a leash. I also believe there are dogs out there who most definitely don't like crates. They still need to know how to tolerate one. Our dog is never crated except in the RV. There's just too much inadvertent trouble he could get into there, and it's another means of ensuring that he doesn't bark at everything he sees out the window.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Dog "crates" are not made of chain link and are typically used inside a house or inside a vehicle.
Dog runs or pens may be made of chain link and are typically outside.

Crates are indispensable equipment for safely transporting dogs in vehicles like a car seat for children.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I stopped crate training at about 9 months when my dog discovered he could easily rip apart a steel cage. he's not destructive in the home, or the rv, but doesn't like cages.

one kennel prided itself on "heavy gauge" escape proof chain link, my malaute showed them different. I implored them, you must WALK the dog 3x a day or he'll walk himself, even offered to pay extra, they didn't believe me... few days later I get a call from 1500 miles away, dog ripped huge holes in two chain link fences and was just laying in the lawn in front of the kennel. they were not happy, neither was I. They wanted me to fix the fence, I said I offered to pay extra before I left, that offer is now rescinded.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I am a dog person, but believe that not all dogs are fit to travel. Everyone who owns a dog thinks their pet doesn't bark, and if it's a "dangerous breed" they never bite nor been aggressive towards anyone.

Have to agree. If you aren't there, how do you really know that the dog doesn't bark? Just because no one complained? If the rule states no unattended pets, then all should follow the rules so that the rule doesn't become "no dogs".

Amen, no crates

Why? Many vets recommend this, provided they get adequate exercise and attention. Some dogs don't need it-mine prefer it. After watching the aftermath of my BIL's dog eat a battery we decided crate training is a much better alternative. I'm sure I'll get blasted by the "I never make a mistake" crowd but none of us can foresee every little possibility.

Agree about the crates. When started as a puppy crate training is really a good thing for the dog in many ways. They are easier to potty train with a crate. It becomes their personal "cave" where they feel safe and comfortable. If they ever need to travel by plane or bus you may have to crate them depending on the size/breed. I know people who have crate trained thier dogs and they never have to close the crate. The dog just goes inside when it is time for bed.
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD