cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cab over repair with picture

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
About three years ago the bottom of the over cab overhang on the passenger side separated from the sidewall about 1 1/2 inches. Not wanting to tear into for a rebuild but wanting to save it here is what I came up with. Inserted the nozzle from a can of Dap expanding foam adhesive as far inside as I could go all long the separation had to two ratchet cargo straps around the cab over and as soon as I had filled the area with adhesive I tightened the straps down. With disposable rags soaked in acetone removed all of the adhesive as it came out of the gap that was now down to a 1/8 of inch. While still strapped drilled a series of 5 holes up about 2 inches from the bottom following the curve of the cab over. Then ran in screws with fender washers painted to match the cab over. After a full week took the straps off and it held and has held for about three years.
The one problem I have had over the years is sealing that 1/8 inch gap every type of caulk or sealant that I tried would crack. Several months ago I scraped all of the old sealant off cleaned it with acetone and applied clear Gorilla tape. It is has held up better than any sealant or caulk has.
Do not get confused with clear Gorilla tape and Clear Gorilla sealing tape.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen
7 REPLIES 7

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
tboss wrote:
If you prolong it long enough one morning you or who ever is sleeping on the cab over bed will wake up on the hood or the ground. That style of siding is a very easy fix ,time consuming but very doable . Why not just not remove the siding and take a look at it you might be surprised as to how simple the repair will be...If I can do it you can do it.

Nothing wrong with that. It's just an adventure of RV'ing. 🙂 It's just like abruptly sleeping under the stars.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

tboss
Explorer
Explorer
If you prolong it long enough one morning you or who ever is sleeping on the cab over bed will wake up on the hood or the ground. That style of siding is a very easy fix ,time consuming but very doable . Why not just not remove the siding and take a look at it you might be surprised as to how simple the repair will be...If I can do it you can do it.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Nice FIX, thanks and also for the Tape pic.
Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
This stuff?

Good tip. I'll get some.

That's it
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
j-d, j-d, I think he meant pictures of the rv fix, not the tape.:W :W
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
This stuff?

Good tip. I'll get some.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
It didn't happen unless you got pictures;)-------------just kidding but pics would be nice.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)