cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First timer Towing 38' trailer with Chevy 2500 HD

dkurth
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have any tips about towing a 38' Autumn Ridge Starcraft trailer? We have a Chevy 2500 HD, do you think we will have any problems?
8 REPLIES 8

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Sweet! Have fun w it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dkurth
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone, we picked it up yesterday and it towed pretty good, we went with a eaz lift weight distribution hitch.

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest tip I can give is to get out and check if you are unsure. This includes backing up and some corners when parking etc. Better then doing damage.

Treatcg
Explorer
Explorer
Your best bet will probably be a Hensley or ProPride 3P hitch. Both are pricey but worth every penny.
Clayton
2016 F250 Lariat FX4 6.7
2017 StarCraft Ultra Lite 27BHU

Treatcg
Explorer
Explorer
I think I saw this post on FB and they were advised to ask the question here for help.

Here are the specs from StarCraft.

StarCraft Autumn Ridge 346RESA
Dry hitch - 1230
Unloaded weight - 8846
Length 38' 3"
Clayton
2016 F250 Lariat FX4 6.7
2017 StarCraft Ultra Lite 27BHU

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
goducks10 wrote:
If you don't have the truck and TT setup right you will have problems.
What WDH are you using and have you ever towed a TT before?

Judging by the title of the thread and nature of the post, this is a rhetorical question.

That's a lot of trailer for a maiden voyage, but get your hitch set up properly and go practice a bunch, maneuvers, backing, side street and freeway driving with light traffic.

You don't provide specifics on either piece, but presuming it's a newer truck, 01 or newer, the truck will handle a 10-12klb trailer acceptably.

How you handle 40' of trailer is the question. I've been towing all types of trailers since I've been 15 and it's still tough to not run over stuff with my 34' long trailer when navigating tight areas.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
What are the weights of the trailer and what is the towing capacity of your truck? Are you overloading your truck? You don't give us anything to work with to help you.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't have the truck and TT setup right you will have problems.
What WDH are you using and have you ever towed a TT before?