cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vortex 2 replacement fan

pawpaw47
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to replace my bathroom vent fan with a Fantastic Fan, but then I came across the Vortex 2 replacement fan. Has anyone replaced their bathroom fan with one of these? It sure looks like an easier install and it's much less expensive. Everything is done from the inside of the TT instead of having to remove the entire old unit from the roof.
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2015 Starcraft AR-One 18QB
2014 GMC w/6.2L & max tow pkge.
21 REPLIES 21

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
It might be a good time to replace the trouble prone and wasteful resistors and switch with a PWM and a reversing switch. That way you would have infinite speed control in forward and reverse.

DaveNTx
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a Vortex II a couple of years ago and have really liked its operation. But now, the multiple speed/direction switch is going bad; I can only operate the fan on high speed in each direction - the low and medium speed selections don't work. If I turn the switch to low speed/forward and press on the knob the fan will start to turn but, as soon as I take my finger off the knob it stops. Anyone else have this problem?

Apparently, some corrosion or dirt has gotten into the switch contacts. Has anyone else had this problem? I doubt that I can find a replacement switch any where; I'm going to try to remove the switch and spray it with some contact cleaner.
Dave & Delia
Puma 30KFB
Ford F250 SuperDuty

Larry-D
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced my original factory (small loud) fan this afternoon. The install was straight forward after looking at everything. It is quieter than the OEM but it does still make some noise on high. Not really a whine so to speak and it is tolerable.

To make things easier, since was working alone, I removed the fan's blade so I could hang the electric wires down through the fan, mount it and then make up the connections. There was easily enough room to work with the wires and then tuck them back up into the housing. To put the mounting screws in I put tape on the backside (top) of the mounting "posts" to hold them in place until I could position the fan and tighten the screws. Everything was done inside the TT.

It does move air.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Use mineral spirits.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely no problem whatsoever to remove roof vent fans ect. I've done 7 of them last year. Remove screws, fixture and butyl tape. Clean. Tape, fixture. Screws and lap done.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

westend
Explorer
Explorer
DReisinger wrote:
I am installing a MaxxAir fan in the bedroom ceiling vent of the fiver. The instructions say to remove ALL old sealant from flange mating surface, is there anything that will make this come off a little easier?
Yes, 3M caulk remover. Apply the remover, cover with plastic wrap and let it work overnight. The next morning, if applied correctly, the sealant can be removed with a rag. Follow up with solvent on a rag and then soapy water. Rinse, dry, and then, the new flange with sealant can be installed.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

DReisinger
Explorer
Explorer
I am installing a MaxxAir fan in the bedroom ceiling vent of the fiver. The instructions say to remove ALL old sealant from flange mating surface, is there anything that will make this come off a little easier?

pawpaw47
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for all the replies. Looks like a new Vortex 2 is my next mod. I plan to order it today.
Happy camping!
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2015 Starcraft AR-One 18QB
2014 GMC w/6.2L & max tow pkge.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I installed one in our bathroom vent, easy install, our vent did not have electric but running wires from the bathroom light which was about 8" from the vent, I just tapped off it and did the install, great fan, moves a lot of air, I did not do the reversing mod as it was not needed. The price is also great compared to other models and the original vent was left on and did not have to be removed, I also added a vent cover so I can leave the bathroom vent open.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the single speed oem fan in the bathroom with a vortex 2. There's a Fantastic fan in the main area, so I have a direct comparison. I would say the Vortex 2 isn't as quiet as the fantastic fan, but it wasn't as expensive and it was an easy retrofit. I'm happy with it.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Some PWM's will cause the noise to increase, others will not. With the variable speed, the fan can be run at a speed that is acceptable and still deliver enough air. Since I have one fan over the bed and another near the opposite end, I often have one blowing in and the other blowing out which ventilates the trailer very well at low fan speeds.

Good point, you want a high frequency pwm, at least over 20khz.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Some PWM's will cause the noise to increase, others will not. With the variable speed, the fan can be run at a speed that is acceptable and still deliver enough air. Since I have one fan over the bed and another near the opposite end, I often have one blowing in and the other blowing out which ventilates the trailer very well at low fan speeds.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
pawpaw47 wrote:
I was going to replace my bathroom vent fan with a Fantastic Fan, but then I came across the Vortex 2 replacement fan. Has anyone replaced their bathroom fan with one of these? It sure looks like an easier install and it's much less expensive. Everything is done from the inside of the TT instead of having to remove the entire old unit from the roof.

It's easy to do, I replaced both of mine with the single speed model and added a PWM and a reversing switch. Now I have full control of speed forward and reverse. The model you are considering uses resistors for speed control which is less efficient and costs more.

Is the Vortex decently quiet with the PWM while still moving a good amount of air? I love the simpler install of the V2 but the noise comparisons I've found online make it a non-option for me but if it still moves a decent amount of air at say 10V and is a lot quieter then I'll probably risk it given the cheaper price and easier install.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I'll join in as another satisfied Vortex fan user! I really enjoyed the simple "retrofit" install, not requiring me to break the roof seal and remove the existing roof vent like the Fantastic does. I put an inexpensive $10 Camco vent cover over the outside of mine, keeps the rain and bugs out.

I haven't gotten around to it, but I did pick up a PWM + reverse gizmo from Amazon, to replace the built in resistors that come with the Vortex.

The fine mesh screen covering the blades clogs pretty quickly for me, mostly because I run it while cooking, and I think it's grease/smoke that's getting filtered on that screen. Soaking it for a while in some hot water + Dawn works.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed