cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WORKHORSE DRONE DELIEVERY

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
Workhorse has developed a drone delivery truck for UPS. Testing now in Florida.

-Tom, W3TLN
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
15 REPLIES 15

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Next thing the Govt. will put cameras on so they can snoop in your windows while delivering pkgs. We will eventually be replaced as humans by robots on this earth when they start thinking for themselves. They will no longer need humans and destroy us..

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Figure they will be delivering Class A Motorhome's by drone in the near future.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
It is a federal offense to shoot down a drone, over your property or otherwise. It's called interference with the operation of an aircraft.

a recent legal case does not support that position.
bumpy

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Drones used for hobby and non-commercial use are supposed to be registered with the FAA. I have two helicopters and one quadcopter drone. I paid $5 to the FAA and received a registration number that I have applied to all of my aircraft. Frankly I think the whole registration process for drones used for fun is bogus and a waste of time and effort. Just another way for the government to meddle in our private lives.

Commercial operators of drones fall under the FAA's Part 107 regulations and require pilot certification.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
I don't suppose this would be legal either: In fact I suspect it would be ileagle. (sorry, can't resist puns. :B Eagle VS drone

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I can see where this would work in the rural setting where drive ways that are 1/2 mile long or longer just fly the drone down to the house while the driver goes the other way gets things done faster and the fuel saving would be IMO significant.

Just think of Wyoming where the kids are given an old car or truck so they can drive to the bus stop a few miles down the dirt driveway.

But then you need to think about the Border Collie trying to heard that dang thing up too. :B

JimR

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Having worked for many years with autonomous electric forklifts in warehouses, I'm more worried about the humans that write the software.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
RoyB wrote:
There is always the thief thing as well. They will just follow the drone to your house haha...

The UPS and FEDX guys and gals are real good here where we live to bring the packages up to the porch out of the bad weather... Postal folks do the same thing for packages...

I'm not all that sure what the Drone Life expectancy will be around here flying low over the houses. Lots of guns around here haha...

Roy Ken

Around here, the thieves follow the UPS/Fed X trucks. Recently a group of 4 girls followed the truck and then stole the boxes from the front porch at Hulk Hogan's house. I guess they did not count on him having video cameras that recorded each one of them, and their car, as they stole the items. :B

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
It is a federal offense to shoot down a drone, over your property or otherwise. It's called interference with the operation of an aircraft.

I'm guessing that would be true if they were registered and assigned an Aircraft Number that would be visible from the ground... I'm thinking only those drones that are within air space of an air port only fall into this registry category perhaps...

Being a small drone being flown over my house with no markings on it might be a different story...

I need to read up on these things as they are becoming a popular item...

Yes I am aware of Satellite Camera's zooming in on your license plate number from 200 plus miles up...

Roy Ken

18-USC-32

Amendments to 18 U.S.C. ยง 32 enacted in 1984 expand United States jurisdiction over aircraft sabotage to include destruction of any aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States or any civil aircraft used, operated or employed in interstate, overseas, or foreign air commerce.

Now that the FAA is regulating commercial and civilian Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), drones flown within the bounds of those regulations enjoy the same protection as manned aircraft.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:

I'm guessing that would be true if they were registered and assigned an Aircraft Number that would be visible from the ground... I'm thinking only those drones that are within air space of an air port only fall into this registry category perhaps...

Being a small drone being flown over my house with no markings on it might be a different story...

I need to read up on these things as they are becoming a popular item...

Yes I am aware of Satellite Camera's zooming in on your license plate number from 200 plus miles up...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
There is always the thief thing as well. They will just follow the drone to your house haha...

The UPS and FEDX guys and gals are real good here where we live to bring the packages up to the porch out of the bad weather... Postal folks do the same thing for packages...

I'm not all that sure what the Drone Life expectancy will be around here flying low over the houses. Lots of guns around here haha...

Roy Ken

x2
I was going to ask if it was legal to shoot them down?
bumpy

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:

Roy Ken

Simple to equipt the drones with guns so they can fire back.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS