cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Check eng light {follow up}

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I posted on here that the check eng light was on in my 2003 F250 Ford V10 eng with 105K miles. Took into the local Stealership
and after 3 hrs the Tech said I need a new compter that cost $900

I took it to Auto Zone and 3 error codes came up that stated the
Oxygen Sensor {02 Wiring needs replacing

PO155 02 Heater Circuit Bank # 2 Sensor 1
PO135 02 Heater Circuit Bank # 1 Senser 1
PO141 02 Heater Circuit Bank # 1 Senser 2

Needless to say I will not take it back to AlexXXXXX Ford here
in Yuma
samsontdog:o:W
25 REPLIES 25

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going with wiring harness damage most likely at one of the sensor connections. After all these operate in a very hot environment.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
Three O2 sensor circuit codes is probably NOT the sensors OR the computer. This is either a damaged wiring harness, or simply a loose ground. A loose ground isn't uncommon on RVs because the coach builders often piggy back off the factory grounds instead of installing new ground lugs.

The O2 sensor heater circuit does need both a power and ground wire. It is not grounded through the exhaust. If neither shop tested both the ground and power wires at the sensors, you did not get the diagnosis you paid for. Yes, the PCM does supply and monitor power to the oxygen sensors, but before blaming the PCM, wiring at the sensors has to be checked first. After that is verified, then the power supply can be measured at the PCM to verify a bad board, but the sensor need to be checked first because the only way the board fails is if theres a short somewhere in the oxygen sensor circuit! Failing to fix the root cause, in case of a bad PCM, will only you earn you another new PCM in short order.

Thank You. I will copy this and show to the Tech at Ford Monday when I take P/Up in for modem change

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Three O2 sensor circuit codes is probably NOT the sensors OR the computer. This is either a damaged wiring harness, or simply a loose ground. A loose ground isn't uncommon on RVs because the coach builders often piggy back off the factory grounds instead of installing new ground lugs.

The O2 sensor heater circuit does need both a power and ground wire. It is not grounded through the exhaust. If neither shop tested both the ground and power wires at the sensors, you did not get the diagnosis you paid for. Yes, the PCM does supply and monitor power to the oxygen sensors, but before blaming the PCM, wiring at the sensors has to be checked first. After that is verified, then the power supply can be measured at the PCM to verify a bad board, but the sensor need to be checked first because the only way the board fails is if theres a short somewhere in the oxygen sensor circuit! Failing to fix the root cause, in case of a bad PCM, will only you earn you another new PCM in short order.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yak wrote:
You have 3 heater circuit codes, I'll bet there's melted wires somewhere. I'm looking to see what's in common

What is the OP going to think after another 900 or top of 400 if you are correct? Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
After spending $400 + on replacing the sensors,which did not correct the problem other than saying it is the computer. Will be replaced Monday at the Ford Dealership for $900 . I should have got it fixed there in the first place
The $400 repair bill was at Accurate Automotive in the Yuma Foothills. They also wanted $1,350 for rebuilt modem where Ford will install new modem for $900

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Most likely computer. Ford techs have computer programs that talk tonthe on board modules. They cm tell what the deal is.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
Wiring shorted on my Jeep and took out a circuit in the computer. So the original advice may not be wrong.

What he said. O2 sensor codes can have several causes, and Ford techs have more training than parts store clerks.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
path1 wrote:
Trackrig wrote:
As you did, I'd have gotten a second opinion, but you don't know which fix is the correct one yet. Hope it's the Auto Zone one. But considering the price is right, why not go by NAPA also and get them to test it.

Bill

In Yuma there is a NAPA "certified" garage called "310 Auto" and "310 Diesel". Avoid at all costs. Owned by same family, very poor service IMO. Warranty not worth the paper written on.

The actual NAPA part store is other end of town and very helpful, at least to me.

Yes, a NAPA parts store and a shop that uses parts from NAPA are two different things. The shop will most likely to check your codes and the parts place will not.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Wiring shorted on my Jeep and took out a circuit in the computer. So the original advice may not be wrong.

There's a company in Miami sells remanufactured computers less costly than most. They're on the web.

allcomputerresources.com
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
Yak wrote:
This unit only has 3 O2 sensors, 2 upstream and 1 downstream. These codes show a issue with the heater circuit of the O2s not the sensor part. They do have one fuse in common. The heater helps the O2 on cold starts

Thank You

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
Yak wrote:
You have 3 heater circuit codes, I'll bet there's melted wires somewhere. I'm looking to see what's in common

Thanks

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
Trackrig wrote:
As you did, I'd have gotten a second opinion, but you don't know which fix is the correct one yet. Hope it's the Auto Zone one. But considering the price is right, why not go by NAPA also and get them to test it.

Bill

In Yuma there is a NAPA "certified" garage called "310 Auto" and "310 Diesel". Avoid at all costs. Owned by same family, very poor service IMO. Warranty not worth the paper written on.

The actual NAPA part store is other end of town and very helpful, at least to me.

Thanks for the update

Yak
Explorer
Explorer
This unit only has 3 O2 sensors, 2 upstream and 1 downstream. These codes show a issue with the heater circuit of the O2s not the sensor part. They do have one fuse in common. The heater helps the O2 on cold starts

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Fuse is I common but should have fourth code as in one of my rigs. All four oxygen sensor off one ten amp fuse.
Intake issue is what I am thing MAF sensor, wet or dirty air cleaner.
Air must go in to come out!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker